BorderDoom: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (update 1.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay

Post by -Ghost- »

I wouldn't worry about it *too* much. You don't usually have to kill every monster, and there should be an incentive to still aiming and picking your shots carefully. If a gun's so weak that it burns through all the ammo on the map without killing enough enemies to get by it's probably a bit too weak.
PFL

Post by PFL »

BorderDooM Tech Demo wrote:I hope you like it
I do like it. It'll make a mighty great side dish.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

amv2k9 wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:I'd probably just go with buying ammo like Borderlands did. Or maybe you could make ammo respawn/drop consistently from most enemies?
He could increase likelihood of a monster dropping ammo when player's stores are critically low, otherwise it drops at a lower rate. Maybe ammo spawns in map could be scaled according to how many monsters there are, and of which types? But we're getting things a lot more complicated there.
It should be pretty simple. You could have an ACS Script that starts at level load that constantly checks if certain ammo types are critically low, and dynamically manipulates the chances of a dead enemy dropping ammo of whatever type is critically low. Or you can have a script that takes a snapshot of the ammo situation for each type on enemy death, and returns integer values that manipulates the probability of ammo of that type to drop.
MrBoroda

Post by MrBoroda »

Is Sunbeam still working on it?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

It's been quite some time since I worked on BorderDoom. I got sidetracked by several other things and projects. But I have not forgotten about it and I felt I had to answer again in this thread :)
First thanks for your feedback, I'm really glad you all seem to like the mod :)

Going from oldest to newest post I just want to answer some questions.
@karmakazi
I have to say that I liked this aspect about Borderlands. So I would rather not have it removed from the game :)
@Lippeth & Captain J
"What is a mod? A miserable little pile of scripts!" ;)
@Vigilante
While playing BL there was only one time I remember when I ran out of ammo. It was while playing a new sniper/hunter where I used up all sniper ammo. Other than that there were always enough backup weapons which used different ammo and enemies also dropped ammo. I think having an eye on ammo usage makes the gameplay a bit more strategic.
@AlwaysDoomed
Yes, it was hard to code because I felt I often had to circumvent several limitations of the Doom engine or ACS script. Having no pointers etc can be a major pain sometimes ;)
@amv2k9
Changing droprates in different situations should be possible. But this would need some balancing tests which I would do quite late in development.
@MrBoroda
Currently not. Since I seem to be always involved in different projects I can also give no estimate about when I will continue working on it. I find it to be quite time consuming (reading documentation, finding ways around limitations etc).
@Nash
This sounds really interesting. Seems like I would not have to do some "C++ magic" to make saveable players possible. Very nice :)

Thanks again for your interest and kind words about the mod. The tech demo video also got nearly one thousand views :)

Oh but I implemented some things after I released the video. All monsters now use the level and experience system, not only imps anymore. Several weapons were adapted to the new weapon system: Shotgun, Chaingun (replacing Borderlands SMG and combat rifle type weapons), rocket launcher and sniper rifle (with zoom).

I have to say I find this still very interesting, however I experienced that coding for Doom in ACS is a pain when trying to do things that go beyond the standard map controlling stuff. So this lowers my motivation quite a bit to work further on this mod ;)
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

Why don't you share what you learned doing this?
Nash

Post by Nash »

If you're going to cancel this project, it would be great if you released the ACS sources. Thanks!
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

@ArcheCruz
Well ask me something and I can tell you what I know :) I think the documentation for ZDoom is really well done and up to date. There are some gaps here and there but overall it's one of the best documentations I had to deal with up to now. So I think there's not much for me to tell other than "read the wiki" ;)

@Nash
I'll think about it. The problem is I'm never quite sure if I will come back at a later date and work again on this. If some time has passed and I haven't come back to this I think I'll release the source. Chances are that some of the stuff I had to implement with hard work will be quite a lot easier in future ZDoom versions. Just think of the weapon zoom stuff in earlier weapon mods where the modders had to come up with their own ideas whereas now zooming is a standard ZDoom feature. Meaning it's possible that some time in the future much of my code will be useless because of the advancements of the ZDoom engine. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm pretty sure DoomScript the scripting branch will make things much easier to do in future. When it will come, no one will know... it's been 14 years already... =P
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Yeah I've seen a lot of "WFDS" tags around here. But I'm not waiting for it ;) But honestly I think it's still cool what one can do with ACS although its main purpose was to control some map aspects not program a complete game in it.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

edit: I have the feeling the old code is not needed anymore and might be superseded by new stuff, so I took it out.

----------------------

Hi guys!
Since some time has passed and I didn't come back to work again on BorderDoom I'm now releasing its source code since I have been asked for it. And I have the feeling that if I don't release it now it will be obsolete in the future because in the past there were many things which were difficult to implement in ZDoom until they were officially supported by the engine.
This does not mean I will never work again on BorderDoom but you should also not rely on it too heavily ;) It was a fun experience and I learned a lot about how Doom works. Thanks again for the good documentation in the Wiki.

For anyone who wants to try his hands on this here are some shortcuts I used (I created some BAT files to speed up development):
Spoiler:
I hope some of you find this interesting or helpful. Do also expect to see some things that are not finished or are only there for testing purposes.
Have fun!
Last edited by Sunbeam on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
number1woofer

Post by number1woofer »

How do I get the source code to work so that I can play it?
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

The release was intended for modders only. I currently don't have the time to explain everything here, maybe some other person would like to do that. I also gave some info in my release post. Otherwise read the wiki for information about ZDoom modding stuff.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

So here I am, two years later, downloading my own uploaded source code. And then I realize all the time the code could not be compiled because I forgot to include a header file. And none of the 100 downloaders ever told me. Go figure :lol:

Anyhow, I remembered this project and played it for some time. I had to realize that most of what I wanted to do with the mod is already implemented and is already fun to play, although the game is currently completely unbalanced.
So it might happen that I have some free time and ideas on my hand which would benefit this mod :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”