Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Postby Headsledge » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi I added the hammer to Baratus' sprite sheet. Can you use this?
Also I'm going to make more if you can.

https://imgur.com/a/lD4lueh
Headsledge

Discord: #8464

Postby Exeor » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:21 pm

Headsledge wrote:Hi I added the hammer to Baratus' sprite sheet. Can you use this?

Ey, can I use it for my WoC campaign? It is pretty cool although the pixels around the hammer are not pretty clean
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?

Postby Headsledge » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Exeor wrote:
Headsledge wrote:Hi I added the hammer to Baratus' sprite sheet. Can you use this?

Ey, can I use it for my WoC campaign? It is pretty cool although the pixels around the hammer are not pretty clean

Go fer it. Id love to see it in action.
Headsledge

Postby Exeor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:10 am

Headsledge wrote:
Exeor wrote:

Go fer it. Id love to see it in action.

There you are:
https://gyazo.com/60bfbe68f271b6d056df9926237b7782

I used it as a NPC blacksmith from a village, really fits so well :D
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?

Postby Headsledge » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:49 pm

Bro! That's awesome.
Headsledge

Postby Archer6621 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:03 pm

So I've been doing some digging regarding the crashing issues with Zandronum and MoC + WoC, and found after debugging some of the ACS scripts that it seems to be caused by the (floating?) health bars. I'm not 100% sure yet which functionality is lost by disabling them (the mod author gated its usage with a cvar called "WoC_ServerDisableHealthBar", so I assume there will be a loss of synchronization of the health bars or something, or maybe it outright disables them entirely, but haven't checked the code thoroughly yet), but doing so seems to fix all the common crash issues that I've been seeing so far and that have been mentioned in this thread (Wendigo, Shadow Beast spirits, some Necromancer minions such as the Shadow when the Necromancer player itself dies).

The strange thing is that different parts of these health bars somehow break for different monsters. E.g. the first one I debugged, the Shadow Beast, had a small chance to spawn some sort of spirits (actor is called ShadowBeast_Creature) upon hurting it, that would die after having travelled for a while. Their death (of the spawned creatures) would result in an instant crash though. Apparently the crash was caused by a call to the ACS Warp function that was responsible for moving the floating health bar to the position of the monster. The crash issue doesn't only happen in multiplayer, but also in single-player. Commenting out this line fixed the issue for the ShadowBeast_Creature monsters, but it would still cause crashes for the Wendigo monsters, so those are affected by a different piece of code still related to these health bars. I don't really know why the crash occurs though, seems to be a more deeply rooted issue with Zandronum and ACS perhaps, but disabling the health bars by setting that cvar seems to make the mod playable again on Zandronum.

Anyway, the work-around for now is to set the cvar "WoC_ServerDisableHealthBar" on true on the server and on all clients. Can do this easily in a batch file or shortcut if you just add "+set WoC_ServerDisableHealthBar 1". I will do more thorough testing tomorrow, and play-test it with a buddy to see how things hold up.
Archer6621

Github ID: Archer6621
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Ru5tK1ng » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 am

That's a very interesting find. Perhaps you have finally cracked the mystery of random WoC crashes. I assume you are using the latest release for your testing, correct?
Ru5tK1ng

Postby Archer6621 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:That's a very interesting find. Perhaps you have finally cracked the mystery of random WoC crashes. I assume you are using the latest release for your testing, correct?

Yup, latest that I could find :D Which is v3a for WoC and v1.1 for MoC.

Unfortunately I did not get around playtesting the fix yet, so that will probably happen tomorrow instead. But others could try testing this as well, would be nice if this really was the only thing causing the crashes.. I have a suspicion that it is, because I've played through the entirety of episode 2 of MoC with WoC v3a and all the relevant patches in co-op on Zandronum and it didn't crash at all. The only problems were related to level design, e.g. walls that block off a room after entering it which you cannot enter after death. So I'm hoping I'll finally be able to play through episode 1 and 3 thanks to this fix :D
Archer6621

Postby -Ghost- » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm

Nice find! More stability would be great; I feel like health bars in general seem to cause issues in mods. It seems better to have them as a side module than integrated fully.
-Ghost-

Postby Archer6621 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:25 am

So far 5 maps into episode 3 of MoC, playing a Necromancer and another guy playing a Fighter, and no crashes as of yet, this is looking good! :D

EDIT: Managed to finish episode 3, not a single crash, the final boss whooped our asses though, hahah :) But it seems like the tweak worked! Will play through episode 1 (another one that crashed whenever the Wendigos started appearing) sometime soon as well.
Archer6621

Postby Nightgaunt » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:36 am

What's this MoC?
Nightgaunt

Postby Kenon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 am

Very fatal error in zandronum 3.0. Mod version: V3a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3sRMU6EmVs
Kenon

Discord: 7353
Twitch ID: KenonZet
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Nightgaunt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:30 am

C'mon guys, what is this MoC?
Nightgaunt

Postby fakemai » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:21 am

Probably Maps of Chaos, it's just edits of the original Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 maps to have a little extra detail and somewhere between a lot and a LOT of extra monsters.
fakemai

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:59 am

fakemai wrote:Probably Maps of Chaos, it's just edits of the original Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 maps to have a little extra detail and somewhere between a lot and a LOT of extra monsters.

Actually, in the context of Wrath of Chronos, they mean Masters of Chaos, a 3 episode megawad for Heretic, which is compatible with WoC via a patch.
SallazarSpellcaster

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods