Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Thetis

Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Post by Thetis »

This is a mod that adds RPG elements to the world of Hexen (and Doom and Heretic).

The main features of the mod includes a skill, experience, and stat system, a new HUD based on Guncaster's old HuD by PillowBlaster and TheDarkArchon, and an alchemy system (Credits to Worst).

There is also more. There are three new classes added to the mix, new monsters (select few doom and heretic monsters gain special abilities), new armor system and two new weapons for the classic classes, new particle effects, accessory system, and more. Not only that, but there is also Cooperative support so you can play alongside your friends. (Requires compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo to be TRUE).
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
Spoiler: CREDITS

If I miss anything or anyone in the credits please let me know.

(If you want to play singleplayer, GZDoom is much more stable).

Get Wrath Of Cronos V3A Main File Here!
Wrath of Cronos Not Hexen Patch. (Must Load before release V3 if you are NOT playing on Hexen, contains sprites and sounds)
Wrath of Cronos V3 Heretic Patch (Must Load after V3 if you are playing on Heretic)
Wrath of Cronos V3 Doom Patch(Must Load after V3 if you are playing on Doom)
Wrath of Cronos V3 Strife Patch (Must Load after V3 if you are playing on Strife, (GZDoom only!)
Wrath of Cronos V3A LITE version (Load instead of main file if you want to play with other monster mods i.e. randomizers/Colourful Hell. NotHexen, Doom/Heretic patch still needed if playing in those games. GZDoom only).
Wrath of Cronos V3 Masters of Chaos Patch (Must Load after Heretic Patch if you are playing with Masters of Chaos (moc11.wad, load that first before anything if you want to play on it) )
Download the Doom Monster replacements V3 here! (Load after Doom Patch.)

UPDATE NOTE: If you are not getting any exp, check your experience multiplier setting to make sure it is not an extremely low number. Default is 100.
Last edited by Thetis on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 60 times in total.
doomfiend

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod for Heretic, Hexen, and Doom

Post by doomfiend »

I recently played your mod, It was very interesting. although for me it felt a little stale after a while since I'm not a huge fan of the Hexen classes. Is it at all possible that you could add a Heretic themed class? or maybe a Doom class as an added bonus? but I wouldn't have the faintest idea how the Doom marine would even cast spells... Hmm I can see the heretic Class using spells with his staff / Gold wand or something. anyways Nice to see unique mods out there. keep up the good work o;
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

The problem with adding a heretic class is that some classes have some weapons from heretic, which would cause redundancy.

Doomguy doesn't have to have spells, he can have special abilities like setting up turrets and stuff, or even spawning medikits.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Thetis wrote:Monsters that become stronger as you do
What's the point of leveling up, then?
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

Gez wrote:
Thetis wrote:Monsters that become stronger as you do
To become stronger, learn new abilities. The player naturally outscales all the monsters. The monsters gain power every time you level but in small increments compared to the player, so that you don't instakill them later on and they would still be a threat. Also, bosses like the Heresiarch and Korax do not become stronger in terms of health so you can kill them faster.
Last edited by Thetis on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

to access new abilities, maybe. if monsters didn't keep up with you, game would not get more challenging. doom rpg had this problem - at certain point gameplay becomes trivial, regardless of difficulty level.

i'll give this mod a shot later, to see if that helps balance things.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Glad to see that someone found use of my excessive amount of random potion sprites.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

i feel that necromancer's shadow summon is a bit unbalanced, but i cannot quite put my finger on what's exactly wrong with it.

on default difficulty, even at lvl1 it's fairly useful, and at lvl3 it can dispatch most enemies fairly quickly. at least it can take care of flying enemies pretty well. it seems it becomes stronger a bit too fast ;)

one thing that bugs me is that sometimes after summoning it you cannot summon it again - it would be useful to be able to resummon it once it gets stuck somewhere.

other minor issue - on character selection screen new classes do not have looped animation. it runs once and stops (on zdoom).
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

neoworm wrote:Glad to see that someone found use of my excessive amount of random potion sprites.
I've always loved your sprites.
yoshi314 wrote:i feel that necromancer's shadow summon is a bit unbalanced, but i cannot quite put my finger on what's exactly wrong with it.

on default difficulty, even at lvl1 it's fairly useful, and at lvl3 it can dispatch most enemies fairly quickly. at least it can take care of flying enemies pretty well. it seems it becomes stronger a bit too fast ;)

one thing that bugs me is that sometimes after summoning it you cannot summon it again - it would be useful to be able to resummon it once it gets stuck somewhere.

other minor issue - on character selection screen new classes do not have looped animation. it runs once and stops (on zdoom).
The shadow may seem powerful, but it is also has the lowest health out of all the minions that the necromancer has. It's more or less the glass cannon summon although I may tweak most of the summon damage values.

Also, if you cast a summoning ability when a minion is already out, you simply desummon it and if you are too far away from your pets, they will teleport to you.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

yoshi314 wrote:i feel that necromancer's shadow summon is a bit unbalanced, but i cannot quite put my finger on what's exactly wrong with it.

I really like using the shadow as a health booster. With the gloves that drain health from enemies and give it to you, you can rapid fire summon shadows and drain them, converting magic to health essentially. Not sure if this is intended or not.
Last edited by JimmyJ on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

The necromancer's revenant summon isn't very good compared to the death knight or even the shadow. Maybe if his curse attacks were quicker and hit more targets? The ghoul rocks, definitely my favorite. Out of all the curses, Chaos is the only one I've invested in so far--Enfeeble and Terrify don't really seem that useful to me, and Blight is too slow. Haven't tried the Poison or other direct attack spells yet.

This is a pretty fun mod, though the different keybindings that are necessary can be a bit of a hassle.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

one more problem, maybe it's intentional - level up menus require me to press most of the buttons twice to get any reaction, at least first time i press each button.
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

Funky Gnoll wrote:The necromancer's revenant summon isn't very good compared to the death knight or even the shadow. Maybe if his curse attacks were quicker and hit more targets? The ghoul rocks, definitely my favorite. Out of all the curses, Chaos is the only one I've invested in so far--Enfeeble and Terrify don't really seem that useful to me, and Blight is too slow. Haven't tried the Poison or other direct attack spells yet.

This is a pretty fun mod, though the different keybindings that are necessary can be a bit of a hassle.
I agree that the revenant is a bit weak but I haven't found a way to make him useful as a minion. The curses are definitely going to get a buff and I'm going to shorten the time between Blight tics.
yoshi314 wrote:one more problem, maybe it's intentional - level up menus require me to press most of the buttons twice to get any reaction, at least first time i press each button.
Hmm, I've never noticed this when I play.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

there is no hud on non-hexen games. i loaded the wads in the specified order, the non-hexen, the main wad and the game specific one.

i still level up, but i see no hud, nor can i access the level up menu.
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

Set your Screenblocks to 11 (or just press + or - to see if you can find the HuD).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”