Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Frozenwolf150

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Valherran wrote:Maybe the MOD needs to catch up to the latest GZDoom builds? It has been a very long time since an update for this MOD was released.
It turned out to be another incompatibility. Many aesthetic mods, such as gore mods and sound mods (oddly enough) seem to work by altering the death conditions of monsters. This is what determines if a kill gives you XP, so if anything interferes, like a script that makes the monster die earlier than normal, it won't work.

On an unrelated note
Spoiler:
It's a good way to see what your character will be like at higher levels and play with some of their high level abilities.

ETA: I've been testing the mage's powers and found that they're rather unbalanced. The fire spells are by far the strongest, and the ice and lightning spells are a waste of points by comparison. Fireball explodes on impact and bounces off surfaces, Fire Rune can kill enemies on the other side of walls, Meteor is the best area-denial spell available, and Pillar of Flame instantly kills most enemies. Meanwhile, I was very hard pressed to kill anything with Ice Bolt or Spark.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

4thcharacter wrote:I haven't played Viscerus but if the weapons there have it's own version of the original weapons and they have different actor names maybe that's the reason why the weapons aren't working properly.
I finally figured out what went wrong. I was using the mod Hexen Sound Remaster since I like the author's music remaster. Apparently the sound mod replaces the weapons with its own versions in order for the new sound effects to work. I have no idea why it would do this, nevertheless I disabled the sounds mod and started a new game of Viscerus, warping to MAP02 so I could pick up the second weapon. This time it worked like it should.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I think you better post this to that thread too. Xeotroid's kind of active here.
Ulrick130

Post by Ulrick130 »

Just a question.
There is a way to fix the "no damage lava" bug in WOC 1.82. I use GZDOOM 2.11 x64.
It's a break immersion glitch.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

The armor system is broken as it is when it comes to damaging floors, and it can actually shield you from most of them if you have a full armor on.

However, you will still get damaged unless you wear protection boots while standing on damaging floors that deal the highest damage. Floors that deal 20% damage, I think, can break through your armor and still damage you, at least a bit.
Ulrick130

Post by Ulrick130 »

Tnx for the explanation.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I need to address another balance issue. Is it just me, or is the Fighter the weakest character in WOC? Every other class has skills that can easily flatten crowds of enemies, some of which you can acquire early on, whereas the Fighter has to run up close and slowly punch everything to death. This is not a viable strategy when facing enemies that come in swarms, or that have hitscan attacks. I've tried everything from corner-punching enemies to abusing the jump to get to a relatively safe location so that I can force enemies to line up single file. The Fighter may have been balanced in the original Hexen where there are a lot more melee enemies, like ettins or centaurs, but if you take him into any other game, he dies before he can close the distance. The vast majority of enemies in Heretic, Doom, and Strife are ranged attackers, since the games were designed for a player character that can shoot back. There aren't even any melee skills that can take out several enemies at once, as his skill set is geared towards engaging single targets one-on-one. Yes, I tried using War Cry and Stomp for this purpose, but they barely put a dent in large groups.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:I need to address another balance issue. Is it just me, or is the Fighter the weakest character in WOC? Every other class has skills that can easily flatten crowds of enemies, some of which you can acquire early on, whereas the Fighter has to run up close and slowly punch everything to death. This is not a viable strategy when facing enemies that come in swarms, or that have hitscan attacks. I've tried everything from corner-punching enemies to abusing the jump to get to a relatively safe location so that I can force enemies to line up single file. The Fighter may have been balanced in the original Hexen where there are a lot more melee enemies, like ettins or centaurs, but if you take him into any other game, he dies before he can close the distance. The vast majority of enemies in Heretic, Doom, and Strife are ranged attackers, since the games were designed for a player character that can shoot back. There aren't even any melee skills that can take out several enemies at once, as his skill set is geared towards engaging single targets one-on-one. Yes, I tried using War Cry and Stomp for this purpose, but they barely put a dent in large groups.
Pro tip: Do not put points in STR (strength) because STR is a useless stat (yes, you read that right), put points in INT (Intellect) if you want to deal damage. Use the Vorpal Sword for crowd control.
tyketto

Post by tyketto »

The site that was hosting the Wrath of Cronos files is no longer available. However, the files have a new home now. You can get them here:

Wrath of Cronos Core File - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... r1_8a2.pk3
WOC Not Hexen Patch (if you're running the mod with a game that ISN'T Hexen) - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... npatch.pk3
WOC Heretic Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... ch1_8a.pk3
WOC Doom Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... ch1_8a.pk3
WOC Strife Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... h1_8a.pk3
WOC Masters of Chaos Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... patch3.pk3
WOC Doom: Random Monsters Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... om1_8a.pk3
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

If this mod is still alive, I want to ask for a thing in next update. For some reason, Doom enemies don't have gold drops, which kinda sucks. Can you add them?
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

there's gold now? man its been awhile. I hope that this gets updated to the new zdoom decorate code
lwks

Post by lwks »

I think it's dead, last update was like, one year ago or more
"Last edited by Thetis on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 45 times in total."
Yeah, too bad, I while ago I heard about new classes and stuff...a shame :?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

lwks wrote:I think it's dead, last update was like, one year ago or more
"Last edited by Thetis on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 45 times in total."
Yeah, too bad, I while ago I heard about new classes and stuff...a shame :?
Project was put on hold because author was busy with school etc. I believe.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:I haven't played Viscerus but if the weapons there have it's own version of the original weapons and they have different actor names maybe that's the reason why the weapons aren't working properly.
I finally figured out what went wrong. I was using the mod Hexen Sound Remaster since I like the author's music remaster. Apparently the sound mod replaces the weapons with its own versions in order for the new sound effects to work. I have no idea why it would do this, nevertheless I disabled the sounds mod and started a new game of Viscerus, warping to MAP02 so I could pick up the second weapon. This time it worked like it should.
Those sounds are way better, I wonder if there's a way to merge them into WoC somehow. Did you try loading WoC after the sound mod?

EDIT: I'm playing the same combo right now, Viscerus + WoC + Hexen Sound Remaster and they're working fine so far, with the sound remaster loaded first before the other two in ZDL.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

In any version of GZDoom (Original or SVN Build) I try to run that mod of DECORATE errors, either in Doom, or Heretic or Hexen. :shrug:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”