Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Exibius
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Post by Exibius »

UnknDoomer wrote:Seems to closest to vanilla Heretic/Hexen mod if compare it with, for example, "Korax Mod" and "Doom RPG Mod", which are, in my opinion, especially last one, are too complex. Works with different kind of players WAD's. But one question remain for me.

Still no marine adaptation/classes available? Would be great to see them after all.
In the main pk3 file woc_v3a.pk3 there is a "TODO.txt" mentioning something about a Druid class coming out in the future. Pretty excited about that if it becomes a thing. Allows you to "phase-shift" into different animals, one being a wolf, another being a bear. No mentions of a marine, no. Speaking of Doom RPG, I think Sumwunn announced that he will be rewriting it in ZScript. That'll be pretty cool. The day we get modern GZDoom Server-Client to host servers of Doom RPG + RLA will be a dream come true. I love that mod, as well. I don't mind the complexity. Though, I like Wrath of Cronos because, in my opinion, it's a "stream-lined RPG" where I can just join, kill stuff, level a bit, leave.
simaka wrote:Is there going to be a fix for this anytime soon ?
Or has development ground to a halt ?
Not gonna lie, I been on ZDoom / Zandronum for quite some time, and finally resisted the urge to no longer run around the community without a forum account and suck up being shy. Going back on topic with that said, I can easily fix this. Would take literally a couple minutes with just adding an additional index to each array, recompiling the ACS, and then running through it in-game to check if everything is saving, but I would rather let monkeybtm6 officially do it since it's his ACS source. Modifying someone else's stuff without permission, not good. Also hugely looked down upon. Not sure how active he is on the forums, either.
AvzinElkein wrote:From what I can tell, development has ground to a halt.
I stay optimistic. I keep my eyes peeled in the event Thetis suddenly pops back in here with a new post showcasing a new update for Wrath of Cronos, haha.
UnknDoomer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by UnknDoomer »

Allows you to "phase-shift" into different animals, one being a wolf, another being a bear.
Sounds like Shadowcaster (1993) thing.
UnknDoomer

Post by UnknDoomer »

Question. Can somebody recommend good list of... let's say 3 Heretic WAD's to combine with? I release that things completely unpredictable in relation to Heretic. The degree of pairing can range from "normal" to "completely unplayable" in case of difficulty and enemies toughness.

I've short list for Hexen which is, as people talking, is fine one: Hexen Cyrgoth's Manor, Hexen Cyrgoth's Revenge, Shadows of Cronos, HeXen: A New World. Looking to make the same one for Heretic.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

UnknDoomer wrote:Question. Can somebody recommend good list of... let's say 3 Heretic WAD's to combine with? I release that things completely unpredictable in relation to Heretic. The degree of pairing can range from "normal" to "completely unplayable" in case of difficulty and enemies toughness.

I've short list for Hexen which is, as people talking, is fine one: Hexen Cyrgoth's Manor, Hexen Cyrgoth's Revenge, Shadows of Cronos, HeXen: A New World. Looking to make the same one for Heretic.
Heretic: Masters of Chaos - needs a patch, found on this thread.
Sitnalta by ArgonianLord (From him also try Hexen: Tower of Chaos!)
Shadowcaster by TheUltimateDoomer
Heretic Community Chest.

Of course, there's also IronTusk's Diablo 3D, which uses Wrath of Cronos as its rpg base.

In my experience, those are all perfectly playable, and well enjoyable, with any character at skill level 5. The shorter ones should take you, if you find everything, as far as about level 40ish, while megawads such as Masters of Chaos can take you above level 70.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Too add to that, it’s Experience modifier is adjustable in the options menu, in diablo 3d ive seen players reach as high as 220, and that’s with the experience modifier cranked up. You can have it as low as you want and play through diablo 3d’s 7 acts and reach a minimum of 45 levels even if you don’t do a lot of killing, but rush through most of it.

The modifier was probably one of the best options ever introduced by Thetis when he made Wrath of Cronos. There are other Heretic and Hexen mods in the works that use this as a base as well.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

UnknDoomer wrote:Question. Can somebody recommend good list of... let's say 3 Heretic WAD's to combine with? I release that things completely unpredictable in relation to Heretic. The degree of pairing can range from "normal" to "completely unplayable" in case of difficulty and enemies toughness.

It is for Hexen but I have made a campaign called Cult of Despair which uses WoC (you need load WoC 3.A first), I have plans to release the next update soon and a vanilla patch when I finish the entire level design. It is very focused in combats and ambience and less in puzzles/switch hunt if you are interested, I always appreciate more feedback.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65993
UnknDoomer

Post by UnknDoomer »

Heretic Community Chest.
Heretic Treasure Chest? Added 2 anothers to the list.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... xen-bonus/
Of course, there's also IronTusk's Diablo 3D, which uses Wrath of Cronos as its rpg base.
It's more like total convertion / separate game / too complex to my criterias.
In my experience, those are all perfectly playable, and well enjoyable, with any character at skill level 5
Too add to that, it’s Experience modifier is adjustable in the options menu
Hm. It's required to set digits to specific numbers to make things more comfortable? Perhabs I've had too high level one enemies or sort of...

Also. One more thing. No matter how I set up the mouse, there are hefty lags when moving / twitching effect. Perhaps the matter is in the settings of the video adapter in this case. Any thoughts?

Specifically, I don't have a problem playing in the "tractor driver" mode, but it was interesting to understand the root of the problem.
t is for Hexen but I have made a campaign called Cult of Despair which uses WoC
You mean not Heretic, but Hexen. Added.

Update about mouse controls and possble difficult problems. Can say two things:

1. I'm not recommend to put difficult higher then #3 of 5 in the list. Depends on specific WAD. If difficult still will be too hard for you then turn on "Start with Second Weapon" in options of the mod. That must be enough + you can try to switch +/- on diffiult #4 of 5.
2. I highly recommend to turn on QUAKE_TILT.PK3 from "HeXeReTiC Fantasy", viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58009. So as result you will don't need to turn on the autoaim / no problems with shooting and moving will be.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Since that 3.1 version will probably be posted shortly here, have you also patched the monsters when the cleric uses envision skill successfully only for anyone on the good side be able to kill them still?
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Starman the Blaziken wrote:Since that 3.1 version will probably be posted shortly here, have you also patched the monsters when the cleric uses envision skill successfully only for anyone on the good side be able to kill them still?
he is still working on it to my knowledge.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

irontusk341 wrote:
Starman the Blaziken wrote:Since that 3.1 version will probably be posted shortly here, have you also patched the monsters when the cleric uses envision skill successfully only for anyone on the good side be able to kill them still?
I played with the dev in Zandronum Doomseeker who is currently doing some tests with it at this time for the bugs and more balance tweaking, and when I did ask them if they seen my question though, Thetis told me the damage to them is intentional without saying pretty much why like that though.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Starman the Blaziken wrote:
irontusk341 wrote:
I played with the dev in Zandronum Doomseeker who is currently doing some tests with it at this time for the bugs and more balance tweaking, and when I did ask them if they seen my question though, Thetis told me the damage to them is intentional without saying pretty much why like that though.
I don't know if you can contact with Tethis, but there is a visual bug since the 2.2 version where the swamp stalker boss uses the ice variant sprites, it is easy to fix anyway.

Can't wait for the 3.1 version!
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

Hello! I wanna share a small addon I did, that attempts to reshade some of the Assassin's sprites to make them less "crispy" and generally more smooth, if you guys want to add it to the main mod, feel free! I hope I am not breaking any rule with this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5geqielo9nu8r ... f.pk3?dl=0
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Amazing work with those Assassin's sprites! I hope it is added to the next woc version :wink:
What about the Hunter's bow? The sprite is cut when playing on widescreen, it happens with the Fighter' fists too, but it isn't so noticeable however.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Exeor wrote:Amazing work with those Assassin's sprites! I hope it is added to the next woc version :wink:
What about the Hunter's bow? The sprite is cut when playing on widescreen, it happens with the Fighter' fists too, but it isn't so noticeable however.
Yeah, if you're able to give some wide screen support to existing sprites, you would be a hero.
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Apparently there have been some strange incompatibilities with this mod with the recent community hub Realms Of Cronos (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66255). In a specific map (map11, Felstoy Abbey), you cannot pick up more than 1 of any item with WOC. I dont know why this could be since theyre just regular items that work fine without the mod, and the mod works fine with the rest of the hub. If you know what could be causing this I would like to know so the two can be compatible.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”