Commando Doom [Last Update] Last Page

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JimmyJ

Re: [WIP][UPDATE] Here's a mod I made

Post by JimmyJ »

Your images don't seem to actually work!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i hope that shotgun is not acually a replacement of the olderest shotgun.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

wildweasel wrote:I've had a go at this, and here are some things I've discovered that may be worth bringing up.
  • Is there a particular reason why you're not using the official ZDoom reload function (the WRF_ALLOWRELOAD flag of A_WeaponReady) instead of the old method?
  • Mild nitpick regarding the Uzi's reload animation: what exactly is being pulled back when the weapon is cocked? There is no obvious bolt mechanism on the weapon (the real Uzi has one on the top of the weapon, but this one seems to have replaced it with some type of accessory rail).
  • The Magnum's sound seems to have way too much treble and seems to be clipping a bit.
  • The foot doesn't have a lot of "power" behind it. It's a powerful weapon, but it seems lacking a certain visual "weight" to it and the sound could probably be a bit louder or heftier.
  • Some of your monsters' radius settings might be too large; Map03 of CChest2.wad has some monsters stuck in walls that I don't recall being stuck (the orange-clad machine gunners and the skull-heads).
  • Shotgunner and chaingunner replacements should drop guns more frequently. Many map sets rely on players obtaining their weaponry from enemy drops.
  • Some enemies (M60 men) seem to deal far too much damage, even with armor.
  • The Reload key should be usable on the sawed-off shotgun.
I fixed most of the problems you've mentioned. My hearing isn't the best, so I didn't notice anything wrong with the 357 sound but I did try to modify it in Audacity. It "Should" be a little more pleasing to the ear. The foot weapon sound and its animation should be better now. Is there more frames for this weapon? It was challenging to get a satisfying animation for it but I think it's acceptable now.

I did modify the radius settings and I tested the map you mentioned, the problem seems to be fixed. Let me know if there are anymore issues in other wads. I try to test my mod in as much wads as possible.

The orange dudes now always drop an uzi and the shotgun skulls have a chance to drop. The rest of the crew have had their damages lowered and their reaction time increased.

And lastly. I didn't know there was a reload function in zdoom (wow I'm behind the times). All re-loadable weapons now use this feature. As does the shotgun.

Niculinux, I will finish the menu graphics once the mod is balanced and debugged.

I liked most of your weapon suggestions, but most of the weapons have been finished already. Now, If I can find a good 1887 Winchester shotgun, I'll replace the DB with it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I really appreciate it!
Almost forgot. Check the first post for the updated version.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I've discovered a fun glitch with the revolver. Press alternate fire to "fan the hammer" and then immediately press primary fire to fire another quick shot afterwards. You get a very fast two-round burst that's quicker than the alt-fire by itself, but has the same cooldown as the primary fire and has hefty recoil to boot. Useful if you're in close quarters against a shotgunner or imp.

If you actually want to fix it (and I'm not saying you should...), the solution would be to have your alternate fire use A_WeaponReady(WRF_NOPRIMARY) (I think that's it?) to prevent the primary fire from triggering during the altfire.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Oh yeah I almost forgot about that little "glitch". I never fixed it because it reminded me of old west trick shooting. Also about the Uzi animation. I wanted the character to bang it on the side kinda like when you reload an M4. Do you think that would work or make any sense? I mean, I could just remove that last part and have the character just change the mags. I wonder if that would make the reload too quick though?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DukeWooze wrote:Also about the Uzi animation. I wanted the character to bang it on the side kinda like when you reload an M4. Do you think that would work or make any sense?
The reason you see people doing that is because that is where the bolt-release button is.
I mean, I could just remove that last part and have the character just change the mags. I wonder if that would make the reload too quick though?
You could compensate by adding a delay between removing and reinserting the mag.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

*snip it's gone cuz cringe*
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

cj: man you are are damn good in your skills,i absolutely love your edited relase ...
rsl

Post by rsl »

Popping up just to say that I love this mod! :D
You managed to pull out really fine animations and an excellent, peculiar feel from these seen-a-lot sprites.
I also like the consistency of hands and weapon styles.

As a matter of fact, I don' t know if you are planning on these, but I really believe you should complete the mod with a few extra touches and feats that would make it perfect. Among these I'd see:

- explosions enhanced with Radius_Quake() / A_Quake() calls (a slight screen shake is always cool). You might want to include the exploding barrel among these...
- a custom HUD - if you don't want to make a dedicated one both for the standard and fullscreen modes, you could just favour the latter.
- a dedicated military-styled player class with its own voice / sounds.
- dynamic lights definitions (since most of the weapons and enemies are hitscan it shouldn't prove too much of a hassle; just start from the regular definitions in GZDOOM's lights.pk3 :wink:).

Mind you, just a few suggestions of mine! :) But I am now replaying Jenesis with your mod, and the above additions would really complete the experience :!:
If you need help or a starting prefab, just let me know!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

dukewooze will update this nicely i hope. because i really can't wait for this update.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Also, to continue on the point that Chronoteeth has made several posts ago, if you need to add a rocket launcher-type weapon for ranged explosive attacks (i.e. for compatibility with Icon Of Sin levels), you might want to consider Shadow Warrior's missile launcher.
I still find that weapon badass-looking, and in the original game it had a very good feel. Seeing what you have managed to do with the other weapons, it should turn into something great! :D
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

well, shadow warrior's missile launcher is pretty over used too. also themed bit futuristic though.
only my opinion goes to bazooka, or grim rocket launcher or like this;
QADTO0.png
QADTO0.png (17.18 KiB) Viewed 897 times
for now, i can't think more of them, but i hope this mod's arsenals keeping it's theme. a ol' school theme.
i said once, this arsenals got a old rusty weapons which as m60 and even TNT. well energy weapons are not so oldest, but it uses primeval energy; a tesla.
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

Great job, Captain J!! Though I'd remove the us confederation flag in front of that "guy":

and replace contry music with cool metal songs :P In fact, as is it now it gives me the impression of "redneck doom", that would be cool for another themed mod!!! Intelligenti pauca :wub:

as for the coll rocket launcher suggested by Captain J, that is very very nice indeed, but I'd go for a single shot launcher, like the one saw on DuduKrazy's Guns 2.

Peace & love!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Disclaimer: It was the time when i was so reckless, curious, and just arrogant.

Of course i put doggone confederation flag because i was going through a random phase that i don't even remember haha
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

Captain J wrote:thanks for feedback, and awesome looking about that missile launcher. oh, also i just searched on google, rpg-7 is going to be pretty useful too.
Yes, for instance like the wildweasel's agent diaz one? Would be my ultimate choice :D

screesnhosts:

Captain J wrote: anyway talking about character, i though that flag was used to be a stereotype or symbol for rednecks, am i right? so how that flag can be bad? if that really bad, just give me a informations.
also i decied to make that flag with one blue star, white lines and red background. but that's remind me a north korea's flag though.
I'd drop any flag, in fact, it think they would not with commando-military-themed-mod. :cry: I'd remove any flag :P. But then repeat, they could make room for a redneck inspired mod, like an hypothetical Redneck doo mumble mumble... :wink:
Captain J wrote: and his name is commando curly. simple, eh?
Yes, yor Highness, maybe I don't wanna be annoying but I'd kindly "instist" on Commando Doom. :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”