Commando Doom [Last Update] Last Page

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Commando Doom [Public Test 2] [WIP]

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks for using my works, i am glad you like them!

I do, however, don't think of adding the Tesla Rifle into Ultra-Crispy, unless through an add-on which replaces one of the dark artifacts (Cursed heart and Leech Staff). Because it would require me to fit another ammo pool into all spawners and i already think the cast is done, so, this is the green light for you to keep using it if you want.

Also, i started to give priority to another project and Ultra-Crispy is pretty much in hold. There are loads of things to do and i am not in the mood =p

Now, for some feedback:

- Most weapons are correctly palleted in Blood colors, except the machete. Maybe the machete from Neccronxis could work well here.
- Colt akimbo tag says "duelpistolweapon". Maybe it isn't a typo (Dual), but just for letting you know.
- Since you removed dual ssg's, maybe you could use an altfire that blasts both barrels, like usual.
- Casings don't move with elevators. i think the flag +MOVEWITHSECTOR can solve it, but i am not sure.
- I think you haven't replaced the SSG load sprites with the smaller ones Neccronxis posted here, but i might not be paying attention, 'cause it still looks big to me.
- Also, i believe the left mac-10 idle sprite is wrong. It displays the hatch open during idle and closed when shooting.

Sorry for so many nitpicks, but this is because i like this mod and those are just suggestions, no need to take them seriously ;)
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

To LossForWords About the hud. I'm really new to stbarinfo so I probably messed up something there. It looks fine on my end but I don't know how it would carry over to different resolutions. Did you try changing the scale? And if anyone knows whats going on let me know please.

About that shotgun. I would love to add something like that I just can't find anything that fits. I'll probably rework the sawed off a little bit. On a side note I'l see about fixing the size too.

GAA1992 Yeah that AT rifle thing was sweet. When I saw it I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. Thanks for making it! You have a lot of other good stuff in there too. Maybe when I'm done/tired of working on this project I'll check it out some more of your work if you don't mind. I kind of wanted to make a mod based off of Hexen 2's demon character you can play as.

Anyways. I'll check the machete out but it isn't a priority right now. I want to start working on something else in the mod. Animations can be a pain sometimes. >:(

I will rework the sawed off a little bit. I just like the idea of sequential fire because you can do 180 double kills if you're fast enough. Give it a try! Makes you feel like a badass.

About the MAC 11. I thought the MAC 11 was an open bolt design so I left the sprite like that but if it looks too awkward I'll change it. It's no big deal.

Thanks for showing interest guys. It really motivates me to keep going with this project.

Oh yeah the name for the weapon well I'm notorious for bad spelling. I'll get around to fixing that name the next time I release another version.
edgymemester

Post by edgymemester »

it would be fuckin hilarious if you could blow up the remote-detonated TNT while you're still holding it in your hand
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Aw, no more Blood 2 Napalm Cannon? Hope it finds a way into Ultra-Crispy then.

EDIT: Also, yeah, the HUD positioning is really screwed up no matter what resolution.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Did you guys try changing the scaling option? It's in the hud options. I forgot what settings I used but if you could fiddle with it I would be appreciated. It may help me find a solution.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

DukeWooze wrote:Did you guys try changing the scaling option? It's in the hud options. I forgot what settings I used but if you could fiddle with it I would be appreciated. It may help me find a solution.
Setting the Fullscreen HUD scaling to either match the resolution or be larger/smaller causes the HUD to vanish entirely.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Try using this SBARINFO.

Code: Select all

StatusBar normal, fullscreenoffsets
{
	DrawImage "GRNHUD", 129, -23, center;
	DrawNumber 3, BigFont, DarkRed, Health, alignment(right), 77, -24;
	DrawImage "STIMA0", 24, -10;
	DrawNumber 3, BigFont, DarkRed, Armor, alignment(right), whennotzero, 160, -24;
	DrawImage "ITEME0", 106, -11;
	DrawKeybar 3, horizontal, 6, 72, -41, 0;

DrawImage "HUD2", -57, -15, center;
	DrawNumber 3, BigFont, DarkRed, Ammo1, alignment(right), whennotzero, -66, -24;
	DrawNumber 3, BigFont, DarkRed, Ammo2, alignment(right), whennotzero, -9, -24;
}
The coordinates depend on borders: the positive y-value means the shift from top down for given value;
the negative y-value means the shift from bottom up for given value;
the positive x-value means the shift from the left border to the right for given value;
the negative x-value means the shift from the right border to the left for given value.

So all shifts are tied to the borders and thus (unlike the prev. one) the HUD is compatible with every resolution.

But, anyway, I think you should consider making different HUDs for different screen sizes (like default HUD). Google "zdoom wiki sbarinfo" to learn how.
As for the mod, I like it very much. A little bit of polishing and it will be perfect!
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Ah man thanks! I was pulling my hair out on this! I'm going to look over this and see exactly what my mistake was. I'm still not to familiar with SBARINFO but I'll go read up on it. I'll include this when the next update comes out along with some more fixes and balances. Thanks again!

p.s. Wow yeah I spent a few minutes I finally figured it out. It is exactly like you said. Man I feel dumb. Well at least now the hud is fixed. Again thank you very much.
DukeWooze

Re: Commando Doom [Release 1] Last Page

Post by DukeWooze »

Sorry for another double post. I just wanted to release this version because it has some fixes I think you guys are going to like. First the fullscreen hud should be fixed now and the status bar is just the regular hud from the mod for now. The second thing is that the sawed off has been improved with a secondary double shot and if you fire a single shot you can just reload one barrel now. There were some minor balances and tweaks with some of the weapons. Mostly making the end game weapons a little more powerful. I kind of felt they were a little weak.

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I'm kind of at a crossroads here. I feel like the mod is damn near done. I know some people wanted a full replacement for the monsters but I'm concerned about how the mod will look if I just spam a bunch of monsters from Realm667 ( which I kind of did already ). So I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. I'm quite frankly at a road block with this one. It wont affect the gameplay at all though as I was just going to change the look of the monsters, not how they work. I like the balance of the original Doom monsters as is. Maybe in the future I'll make something that has all new monsters with new attacks and abilities. But as of now the mod should be perfectly playable. I completed jenesis using the mod with no problems as far as I could see.

But now for the "crossroads" part. I don't even know how to explain this, so bear with me. I don't know what the common practice is for other modders when they feel stale on a project. I kind of wanted to work on a new idea I had. I also wanted to start on a mapping project I wanted to do for a couple of months now. I don't want people to think the mod is dead or something because I will be updating it when bugs appear. I guess I'm just not sure where to go with this. This is my first project I ever released publicly. And I have a whole graveyard of stuff I never got no where near the status of Doom Commando. And I thank all of you guys who helped me work on it and, also to the players who spent your time playing the mod.

This was a gigantic post and I got nothing left to say. Here is the download link http://www.mediafire.com/file/c8umusscq ... 0Redux.wad

One more thing actually. I just want to make it clear that I will still be updating the mod but I'm not sure how often. It will mostly be bug fixes and balancing more than likely.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I feel you. My first public project (Aracnocide) had so many weapons that i had to split them in two classes. Then, i collected a graveyard of stuff that never got/got but went removed and made a third class.

Now the next update will have even mmore weapons and a 4th class =p

I say that the "where should i stop" part should be totally of the modder, not the feedback or players. It's something harsh, i know, and i tend to add lots of things when the players request it, but when you throw a huge amount of ideas into the mixer and open it up, the result might not really be that cool. And if you remove anything, players start asking it again.

The first version i've played of this mod was more than enough to me. But i see you improved a LOT, and i like this. But i don't believe there's anything else to ask. The mod is not incomplete at the point of LACKING stuff to replace.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I like the look of the anti-tank gun and it's neat to see the aerosol can back again. :)

Also, why not borrow and credit some of the monsters from Shades Of Doom if you want a new look? Most of them don't come from Realm667.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Would the devs of Shades of Doom mind if I did that? I don't think I've even played that one yet. Yeah the Anti-Tank gun was cobbled together by GAA1992. He has a thread in the resources section with all kinds of neato guns and weapons. By the way thanks for the advice GAA1992!
Edit: lol I see, Shades of Doom is a monster radomizer. Yeah I'll give it a try.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

DukeWooze wrote:Would the devs of Shades of Doom mind if I did that? I don't think I've even played that one yet. Yeah the Anti-Tank gun was cobbled together by GAA1992. He has a thread in the resources section with all kinds of neato guns and weapons. By the way thanks for the advice GAA1992!
Edit: lol I see, Shades of Doom is a monster radomizer. Yeah I'll give it a try.
I imagine a courtesy PM/Email for permission is all that's needed.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Man I'm such a doofus I interpreted your sentence right the first time, but I thought you mean just make a compatibly patch or something. But you really did mean to use the monsters. Although I might actually make a compatible version. I just want to be very careful not to just rip people's stuff. But thanks man I'll look into both options when I get a chance. I appreciate your feedback and help.
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

I've launched this mod just for a moment to check out weapons and see if it's fun and I ended up finishing half of Doom II. Lol.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”