Commando Doom [Last Update] Last Page

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
YukesVonFaust

Re: [WIP][UPDATE] Here's a mod I made

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Neccronixis wrote:Here are sprites for an angled revolver, a generic, semi-auto rifle that could replace a shotgun and the machette from Powerslave adjusted for widescreen.
you should make a resource thread, man.
these look spankingly cool!
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Oh jeez that's a nice revolver. Right after I spent hours on doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp80ItORLRM&t=0s Well I guess it's decision time. What would you rather? Centered revolvers or the hip new cool angled revolvers? I might use them anyway because they do look better and I am interested in using that semi auto. Thanks I appreciate it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That animation is just majestic and flawless, yet badass! It's indeed has a lot of effort... However, i'd prefer the animation WITH new angled revolver sprite Neccronixis made. That would be so cool!
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

I've been thinking about it and I'm leaning more on my animations rather than using the angled one because I don't know if I can get the angled one to look as good. Also I do okay with animations but I have zero experience making weapon sprites from scratch. I can make very simple sprites but nothing no where near full weapon sprites and I would hate to use the pop down and up generic reload animation on that kind of a sprite. I mean it kind of works with the revolvers I animated but (to me at least) it's kind of stretching it with angled. But I'll tell ya what, let me see if I can make something of that angled sprite and we can compare them.

But, that right there was one hell of a project in of itself I spent most of the afternoon making that. Do any of you have any animation tips that could help speed things up? Is there any software I could use that maintains an accurate representation of the in game screen? Anyways. Thanks for the comment on the animation.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

@Captain J - Yes that is Caleb's mug indeed :). I took it from an image of Caleb and used Photoshops blending modes to get the transparency right. I got the idea from Blood 2 and that orb weapon thing. Fun fact: that is my hand holding the revolver (a toy, not a real one).

I watched that video and loved those animations :) If you really want to incorporate the angled sprites, you could use them for quick firing as a secondary attack. If you press secondary attack the revolver moves to the right and performs a quick attack - it stays like that unless reloading commences or pressing primary attack where it moves to the centre again. In terms of animation, I use Photoshop CS6 to make quick GIFS (frame animations) at the size of the DOOM screen in to see how sprites might look and function - that's how I made the DOOM 2016 weapon animation gifs that are floating around the internet.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

This is my attempt at animating the angled revolver like the centered one. No muzzle flash though, I was lazy.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

So I used Neccronixis's es ses ses (lol) Mac 10 and made this. I hope you guys like it. I'm still deciding weather or not to allow switching between akimbo and single versions of the weapons. I could give the player incentive to keep using single weapons by increasing accuracy and such but I'm not sure yet.

The next weapon I'm going to work on will be the sawed off shotgun, I would like to find a better sprite that matches it but I'm not sure if one exists. I'll go looking for one but if I can't find one I'll just use the old Blood shotgun.

Also. As it stands now, duel wielding is one left click for both fire. If you want this changed let me know as soon as possible because I will have to redo this weapon before going forward. But, I'll be honest. I dislike the COD style duel wielding. It isn't because of COD or because I want to bash it, it's just I don't prefer that style. It can get a little clunky and confusing in the heat of a fire fight. For me at least.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

And for the revolver. I'm still undecided on it so I'm going to put it one the back burner for later. I might just let the player decide which one is cooler and allow switching of both styles.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Might want to lower the guns a bit and raise them back to that level when reloading. Otherwise, they look ok.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I think the duel wielding style you've got there is good enough for an FPS like DOOM. I can edit the Mac-10 sprites so that you can raise the weapon higher and make the magazine visible when ejecting it (I just need to add more forearm). For duel wielding, is it possible to make the left hand weapon lower and raise by pressing the weapon button? For example in Blood, if you select a bundle of TNT and then the spray can, the hand sprite holding the lighter remains on screen. The Mac-10 on the left is raised/lowered when toggled but the right hand one remains on screen. If you have one mac-10 equipped:
1. press the weapon button which raises the other mac 10 (press it again to lower the left one)
2. Switch to another weapon and switch back - whatever state the mac-10 were in prior to switching to another weapon is retained.

I will draw some sawn off shotgun sprites for you; they will retain the blood aesthetic & colour palette like the other ones I made. Looks like the one in blood has visible hammers; I'll do a hammer-less version like the Doom super shotgun.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

Here are some custom sprites for the Shotgun and Mac-10
Attachments
Shotgun-+-Mac-10.png
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Impressive work, as always, man :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Impressive work at best. I've never seen such unique art-style before. You rock!
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

wow no kidding that's great! Thanks! I'll try to whip something up with these.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I saw some Desert Eagle sprites on the Resources section. Maybe those could replace the Revolver? Comes in both off-set and centered versions last I checked.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm dead. I have three new weapons to show off. I think the Sawed Off and LMG came out perfect, although both of them aren't completely done yet. I still have to add the duel version of the sawed off but I've decided to do that until most of the weapon roster is completed. I'm still not 100% satisfied on the napalm launcher though, and I'm not sure if I can improve much upon it further. I dunno we'll see.

I've also decided to go ahead and replace the revolvers at a later date with the angled version.I'll probably post the old revolvers on the resources section so someone could get some use out of them.

I still have 5 more weapons to complete, but they might go faster since those weapons wont need reload animations and reloads take the most time to animate. I had an idea to have a secondary fire for the napalm launcher fire smaller projectiles like a machinegun. I wanted to pass it to you guys to see what you thought about it. And don't worry once the enemies are implemented I'll add custom death effects like in the older version. I played around with a "burning man" effect were the enemy runs around on fire like in Blood awhile back I'll add it to the mod. It will look so cool!

Anyways. Enjoy the video.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”