Page 1 of 10

Burl Tumd (Last updated 8/11/13)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:17 pm
by Eric_
Image
Click the image for the G/ZDoom version. The Zandronum version can be acquired here.

The primary emphasis in Burl Tumd is speed: EVERYTHING happens faster. You move faster, you kill faster, and you die faster. Weapons are made to be far more responsive and powerful, and in addition to speed there's a large emphasis on efficiency. Playing intelligently and using the right weapon at the right time will let you tear through the hordes at incredible speeds, whereas rushing in blindly will get you massacred quickly. I highly suggest that you read the .txt past the screenshots before playing so that you at least have some idea of what you're doing.

Additional features include:

Skill levels:
Spoiler:

Several pints of multicolored ketchup, with new weapons to extract it with:
Spoiler:

New enemies, as well as modified old ones:
Spoiler:

A readme written in similar style to how the name of this mod came about: READ ME (Readable version here.)

All this and more for less than one megabyte!

Please note that this isn't quite feature-complete yet - in particular, the rocket launcher animations are painfully half-assed, I intend on adding a BFG replacement at some point in time and I haven't buffed up most of the enemies yet.

Credits for resources used are included in credits.txt in the root folder of the PK3.

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:19 pm
by Dynamo
10/10

I tested this and it's actually a very fun mod, makes the game more fast paced without sacrificing the gameplay that makes doom amazing.

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:36 pm
by Matt
lol @ intermission screen

everything is so overpowered I'm playing Map01 at medium with half my brain and took no damage. at all.

may update this post as I play more

EDIT:
-melee is 2 swords that appear to be different only in a bit of lag before the strike with the grey one
-also, berserk autoselects fist which can't be selected otherwise
-slash with black sword on map04 takes out a sergeant and the barrel behind him yeah a little op
+I like the suppressed pistol effect
+really all the weapons have a decent feel to them
-though the chaingun shooting while it's warming up to full speed is kinda weird if understandable
-umm is there any reason for this other than "a weapon mod that isn't brutal doom"

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:46 pm
by Eric_
Vaecrius wrote:lol @ intermission screen

everything is so overpowered I'm playing Map01 at medium with half my brain and took no damage. at all.

may update this post as I play more

The zombiemen are pretty weak, I'll likely buff them. The shotgunners and demons both have vastly improved offensive capabilities, though. I made a bit of a point out of leaving health numbers the same - the idea is that if you play smart and pay attention, you'll be rewarded accordingly, whereas if you charge in blindly, you'll get massacred. Also, do note that the difficulties are named accordingly - Burl Tumd (UV-equivalent) is what the mod is designed around.

edit: you edited so i'm editing to reply to your edit
-melee is 2 swords that appear to be different only in a bit of lag before the strike with the grey one

The difference is that the one you start with does more damage with higher health and the chainsaw replacement hits harder with less health.
-also, berserk autoselects fist which can't be selected otherwise

Crap, I never noticed this while playtesting. Must be my settings, but I have yet to implement berserk properly anyway.
-though the chaingun shooting while it's warming up to full speed is kinda weird if understandable

Like I said, I want to re-do it so it isn't so weird.
-umm is there any reason for this other than "a weapon mod that isn't brutal doom"

Well, as you can see in the OP, Mr. Brutal Doom said that I (or rather, people who take issue with Brutal Doom) were just jealous because we couldn't make a "good Doom mod". I took offense to such slander and created this in response.

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:01 pm
by Captain Ventris
The Intermission screen and Mastermind cracked me up. Weapons feel good, though the Zombiemen do need a buff. Makes the whole game quicker, for sure. You kill faster and you die faster.

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:04 pm
by Matt
The fist thing I think came from typing IDFA before summoning and picking up a zerkpack. Just copypaste and edit Classes:Berserk and switch to whichever weapon is appropriate.

+"actual lol point" for Mr. Cake Man death
-just reading the code, I'd like to suggest that all obituaries should refer to who died since that's really the whole point.

EDIT:
Well, as you can see in the OP, Mr. Brutal Doom said that I (or rather, people who take issue with Brutal Doom) were just jealous because we couldn't make a "good Doom mod". I took offense to such slander and created this in response.
So uh I take that as "no" >_> (actually I kinda clicked on this expecting a total pisstake where everything was changed in the exact opposite direction of BD - everyone just falls down bloodlessly, people move faster, protag is audibly trying to keep his language PG-rated, up to and including the word "Hell" being replaced with "The Netherworld")

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:12 pm
by Blox
I'll just go ahead and say that we haven't gotten to implementing the gore because I'm too god damn lazy yet. :P

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:21 pm
by Gez
Vaecrius wrote:(actually I kinda clicked on this expecting a total pisstake where everything was changed in the exact opposite direction of BD - everyone just falls down bloodlessly, people move faster, protag is audibly trying to keep his language PG-rated, up to and including the word "Hell" being replaced with "The Netherworld")

Gëntle Doom -- now including taunts which let you say "I'm so terribly sorry" and "what a shame it had to come to this".

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:24 pm
by TheDoomGuy
o_o ...

Quite possibly the best and beefiest Super Shotgun reloading sounds ever.

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 pm
by 0bsidian
Gez wrote:Gëntle Doom -- now including taunts which let you say "I'm so terribly sorry" and "what a shame it had to come to this".


With new zombie death sounds! "Oh dear, I'm so sorry I got my brains all over your nice clean armour."

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:42 pm
by XutaWoo
0bsidian wrote:
Gez wrote:Gëntle Doom -- now including taunts which let you say "I'm so terribly sorry" and "what a shame it had to come to this".


With new zombie death sounds! "Oh dear, I'm so sorry I got my brains all over your nice clean armour."

Thiiiis very much seems like something that TF2 would do, heh.

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm
by Hellser
I gave this a try, Eric. I like this. A lot. Reminds me of a mod back when it was good. *Sniff*

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:58 pm
by Matt
Gez wrote:Gëntle Doom
you win every internet ever

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:59 pm
by CorSair
Tried it. Liked it. Stuff may be bit overpowered, but you might still die faster.
APPROVED :thumb:

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:25 pm
by Vict
Uh, for the picture in the original post, is there any reason why you traced over the Duke Nukem 2 box art, colored it differently while making minor changes, then stretched it horizonally by about 50%?

Is it part of the joke that I don't seem to be getting right now? I mean, I've played it for about ten minutes and this is a jokewad right? Within the first few seconds I've discovered that none of the weapons of similar types share slots, and for some reason you put the shotguns on 4 and 5, yet an assault rifle is on 3 and the chaingun is on 6...

EDIT: Wait, no the pistols share slot 2. That means this was intentionally designed this way... Come on..