Capitalist Conquest: Freedom vs Fruitbowl WIP

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Capitalist Conquest: Freedom vs Fruitbowl WIP

Post by wildweasel »

Alright, you know what, I'm giving this thread one chance to get back to talking about the mod itself (i.e. how it looks/plays) and not about the politics of it. I really don't feel like mopping up a mess of political disagreement bullshit today, so if this thread continues down this sort of path (and thanks to gerolf, by the way, for Godwin'ing it), I'm just going to shutter it and MetroidJunkie is going to have to find a different forum to post it on, because the ZDoom forums seems to prove time and again that we can't handle political discussion without it getting heated.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

MetroidJunkie wrote:If you saw a Doom mod based on the medieval times, would you change the subject to the modder's personal feelings about the medieval ages?
Dude not cool you know how fired up I can get about the goddamn Lancasters!!!

GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

...I initially read that as Lannisters.

<_< >_>
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Would be better to start all over...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Ed the Bat wrote:Knew I shouldn't have come here...
The vid I embedded on page 2 explains that reference:
He's already being overwhelmed by waves and waves of attackers Doom-style anyway!
MetroidJunkie wrote:That's not a bad idea, actually. Miniboss trolls.
It is a perfect idea for this project.

Thoughts about the weapons: I don't think there should be magnums or fist at all - a single starting cans.wav weapon already works.

Pearls make me think of something that should be shot at high velocity but not necessarily explode. Something more like a repeater rifle seems more appropriate... for some reason I keep thinking it should be a hitscan weapon where the puff spawns a bouncing little pearl.

(Alternatively: "Pearls" is an entire ammotype and you've got multiple weapons.)

...also, combo hits should trigger messages of "MONEY" "SUCCESS" "FAME" and "GLAMOUR".
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

wildweasel wrote:Alright, you know what, I'm giving this thread one chance to get back to talking about the mod itself (i.e. how it looks/plays) and not about the politics of it. I really don't feel like mopping up a mess of political disagreement bullshit today, so if this thread continues down this sort of path (and thanks to gerolf, by the way, for Godwin'ing it), I'm just going to shutter it and MetroidJunkie is going to have to find a different forum to post it on, because the ZDoom forums seems to prove time and again that we can't handle political discussion without it getting heated.
Agreed, and this is why I gave up quite a few posts back.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I don't know who this skeleton cowboy is, but if the subject matter here is about warring against Bronies, or anything political, I'll have no part of it.

That being said, since I'm not actually playing it, I will reserve any judgment or condemnation on the technical aspects of the project. Not having the experience to make any informed decisions thereupon, it wouldn't make sense for me to say anything on it, which I believe is the actual purpose of this thread.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Vaecrius wrote:Thoughts about the weapons: I don't think there should be magnums or fist at all - a single starting cans.wav weapon already works.

Pearls make me think of something that should be shot at high velocity but not necessarily explode. Something more like a repeater rifle seems more appropriate... for some reason I keep thinking it should be a hitscan weapon where the puff spawns a bouncing little pearl.

(Alternatively: "Pearls" is an entire ammotype and you've got multiple weapons.)

...also, combo hits should trigger messages of "MONEY" "SUCCESS" "FAME" and "GLAMOUR".
The magnums were to give it an injection of Texas flavor, like the cattle prod. He's not just a troll feeding politically driven guy, he's also from Texas. I could make the pearls a unique projectile that doesn't explode but just impacts with an enemy.
Ed the Bat wrote:I don't know who this skeleton cowboy is, but if the subject matter here is about warring against Bronies, or anything political, I'll have no part of it.
If it wasn't about those, there wouldn't be anything left to Ghost except alcoholism and Texas shooting which, technically, could make a game by itself but not in my interest to do. Unless, by political, you don't count the stock market but, if you think about it, everything is political unless it's anarchy. I want the mod to represent Ghost.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

MetroidJunkie wrote: I want the mod to represent Ghost.
Then you have to make impossible to win. Anything you do (attacking, picking up items, moving, standing still, getting shot, etc.) spawns more enemies, and there is no escape.
The guy is beset upon by endless hordes of trolls and it's all his own fault for continuously feeding them with his beer-can-tossing outbursts.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Ethril wrote: Then you have to make impossible to win. Anything you do (attacking, picking up items, moving, standing still, getting shot, etc.) spawns more enemies, and there is no escape.
The guy is beset upon by endless hordes of trolls and it's all his own fault for continuously feeding them with his beer-can-tossing outbursts.
I didn't mean to that extent and he's just baiting the trolls, anyway, since there are moments where he's genuinely disgusted. My idea was that the trolls are mooks hired by the tyrannical government in the Capitalist Conquest world to represent the very worst that could possibly happen here, so exaggerated to hell on purpose. I was thinking I could take some minor inspiration from Fallout 3, which is why I'm working on a hub system.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I don't think a Doom wad would be fully suitable for him

As UT2004 voicepack (classic pre-attention seeking brony era), maybe... because there isn't an entire game built on a podcast trainwreck that ran its course a long time ago. His angsty delivery makes it good for deathmatch

Something similar in Zdoom would require a lot of clips and contextual triggers. just voices for weapon sounds won't work. just a single sample used for pain won't work, and turning a shotgun into a punitive damages legal document won't work either.

But anyway Kinsie's point from earlier is that your TC effort is already outdated and the novelty has already worn off and the dead horse has been beaten a lot (especially since August 2011).

your wad will hold more relevance if you just take ghost out and leave in the murdering of bronies element though, so it'll be obsolete later, and be vindicated for the popular long-running PWAD theme of slaughtering (fans of) little children's talking cartoon animals. Because it's not bogged down by a politically-driven professional voice actor who is a genius at bringing in the ratings.

Yes, this is constructive criticism.
Last edited by leileilol on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

leileilol wrote: your wad will hold more relevance if you just take ghost out and leave in the murdering of bronies element though, so it'll be obsolete later, and be vindicated for the popular long-running PWAD theme of slaughtering (fans of) little children's talking cartoon animals. Because it's not bogged down by a politically-driven professional voice actor who is a genius at bringing in the ratings.

Yes, this is constructive criticism.
Well, I worked on and off on it for long before Ghost quit airing his show and he even voiced his approval of it more than once. I don't want to just cut Ghost out of it, since there are still many people who are fans of the progress.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

leileilol wrote:As UT2004 voicepack (classic pre-attention seeking brony era), maybe...
bcC730qAE7Y
This is a thing of unmitigated beauty.

And as a bit of a reality check I'll second the rest of LLL's post.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Does this atleast help a bit with the quality? I've replaced most graphical resources with 3D models.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

A MELTING POT OF FRIENDSHIP
*proceeds to go Rambo with a pair of revolvers*

The music makes me think of some sort of country farmville or something. And the 3D models are good...but what was that boo thing with the skull face at the end?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”