Capitalist Conquest: Freedom vs Fruitbowl WIP

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CeeJay

Re: Capitalist Conquest: Freedom vs Fruitbowl WIP

Post by CeeJay »

Looks better to me. The style kind of reminds me of The Curse of Monkey Island, love that game. Considering its hi-res nature, perhaps more detail would be fitting so its more evident to the casual player what it actually is. Just google "scrolls" and examine how they look. I tried the mod under ZDoom for a quick run and for some reason I couldn't see the HUD replacement. At all. All I got was a HOM effect around the edges. And the graphics do need work, both their looks and animation needs improving. For example the way he holds the revolver is really off. It looks like he is just barely holding it, the trigger finger being nowhere near the trigger. I have personally no idea what this is based on, I had no idea what half the weapons were supposed to be and I just kept thinking Grim Fandango. I found the hadoken weapon thing amusing though but why do you take damage from so many of the weapons?
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Kinsie wrote:Most people seem to play and mod Doom to avoid the real world, and to avoid getting preached at, whether they're part of the choir or not.
I don't think a video game or mod of one that digs into politics has to be bad, games like Fallout 3 are entwined with it and I don't see it getting negative reaction because of it.
CeeJay wrote:Looks better to me. The style kind of reminds me of The Curse of Monkey Island, love that game. Considering its hi-res nature, perhaps more detail would be fitting so its more evident to the casual player what it actually is. Just google "scrolls" and examine how they look. I tried the mod under ZDoom for a quick run and for some reason I couldn't see the HUD replacement. At all. All I got was a HOM effect around the edges. And the graphics do need work, both their looks and animation needs improving. For example the way he holds the revolver is really off. It looks like he is just barely holding it, the trigger finger being nowhere near the trigger. I have personally no idea what this is based on, I had no idea what half the weapons were supposed to be and I just kept thinking Grim Fandango. I found the hadoken weapon thing amusing though but why do you take damage from so many of the weapons?
I don't know if I want it to be high res, I tried making a high res version and I think it turned out worse because of it. I had to make the WAD quite a bit bigger not just from the higher quality but dummie sprites I had to make so that ZDoom would scale them back properly instead of just to the ratio of the original weapons. The HUD replacement only appears with the 16:9 ratio so you might have a different resolution than what it's looking for, I was hoping to fix that soon but it seems I have to do the whole graphics over again due to the complaints so that's getting pushed back.

I mostly had the two of them give you damage because I thought it might balance things out once you get them. Maybe I'll just give them custom ammo of some kind, I even considered having the scroll have a secondary attack where it close range drains the souls out of enemies to use as ammo but I'm not sure I have the ACS skills to pull it off.
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MetroidJunkie wrote:If it was just a mod made for the sake of trolls and bronies, you'd have a point but I'm also injecting a political aspect into this. It's still relevant because our economy is still degrading.
I think I said this in your shooting gallery thread, but I really don't think Doom is the right medium to spread a political message.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Agreed, but I still hold firmly to my initial post. No need to bash the mans work and start a negative debate about it and the nature of it. One can still go around it in a polite and respectful manner.
Last edited by CeeJay on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

wildweasel wrote: I think I said this in your shooting gallery thread, but I really don't think Doom is the right medium to spread a political message.
Isn't this different, though? I didn't just make it to have you shooting politicians on a board or for shock value, I'm trying to go for more subtle depth with this one. Maybe the problem is just getting into politics with this forum, the mod tends to be very well received when I keep it to just my Youtube account. Maybe I should just keep it to there.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

What, uh, is the political message? I'm just getting lol skeleton guy with texas accent lol lawyer joke weapon but that's it.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

why in the hell would you want to play as this guy anyway
hes an annoying jackass

and not even the good kind of annoying jackass (e.g. scout from tf2)
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

How's this?

Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

MetroidJunkie wrote:If it was just a mod made for the sake of trolls and bronies...
The heck is that supposed to mean? :?
seclongo

Post by seclongo »

I don't think a video game or mod of one that digs into politics has to be bad, games like Fallout 3 are entwined with it and I don't see it getting negative reaction because of it.
Look, Fallout 3 only had a political aspect so it could convey a 1950's Joe McCarthy-style Red Scare culture in the Pre-War backstory of Fallout's world. It wasn't thrust in your face to make a political point, but to help shed light on the events leading up to the Great War.

This mod of yours is more like that "Quest for Bush" game someone made back in 2006. It just seems to have no point to it at all besides hamfisted soapboxing, or in your case, hamfisted soapboxing through the use of an internet meme.

And could you please tell us what exactly is the message behind this mod? What political statement do you feel is so very,very important that you feel you must deliver it to us, the ignorant unwashed masses, in the form of a Doom mod?
Last edited by seclongo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

It seems that nobody on ZDoom forums knows how to create constructive criticism....
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

@everyone else who may be too apathetic to open up a new tab to google: http://truecapitalist.wikia.com/wiki/Tr ... list_Radio
EDIT: "The shout-out elite include the Pooptickler family, Gimps, Communists, and Bronies." y'know, a mod about this guy exacting his horrible explodey revenge on waves and waves of relentless trolls could actually be really funny! ("Cease and Assist" should be a dual-BFG style weapon. Also, pearl gun.excellent, it's already in. EVENMOREEDIT: cybervermin mooks! infinite beer cans that get knocked over and hit your targets!) MOREEDIT: oh man we need a soundpack for this guy for Brutal Doom...

@gerolf: They can, they just feel they'd rather trash this project.

@MetroidJunkie: Those new weapon sprites are a huge improvement. I like the Redneck Rampage vibe of everything though I question the wisdom of those side borders - do those work with different aspect ratios?

Strongly recommend you change the number fonts to something more suitable.

Meanwhile, just sorta getting sidetracked here and thinking of ideas for political ZDoom mods...

- In any mod with "realistic" elements or runs through a gamut of pistol-shotgun-ar-mgs, if you pick up too many guns in a short while you get a little message about how scary Obama is.

- Speaking of that comic, this as a powerup.

- Replace Romero with whatever hated pol you want.

- The maps and sprites and sounds (and, where necessary, barrels) are all tweaked to highlight individualistic, all against all nature of the normal Doom enemy AI and used as a comment about how a truly laissez-faire capitalist system is untenable (because the monsters kill each other while you circlestrafe them to death).

- Barrels are juxtaposed with natural scenery. The more you go into evil people's territory, the more you see this; the more you go into the good guys' territory to be defended or immediately reclaimed, the less you see this.

- "Phobos was an inside job."

- A survival horror mod where in all other modes the president is assumed to be some Reagan-esque Republican, while "super hard" mode has a generic Democratic president at the end of his second term. Because of the focus on individual merit, non-reliance on government intervention in personal lives and the population being awash in guns, in the normal game you start off well-armed and get regular help and support from other well-armed survivors; in the Democratic situation, however, the collapse of the centralized government means lost infrastructure everywhere, no one can defend themselves against the monsters, and half the time you're fighting desperate fellow survivors trying to get your stuff because their government subsidies ran out.

- The demons feed on abortions.

- Female playercharacter, niqab mugshot.

- zHey Baby

- Anything that lampshades the fact that you're mowing down rows of guys in Marine uniforms who are trying to kill you because they are under the influence of a Great Satan.

(In all seriousness though I don't mind political game mods at all - I think, really, this assumed apoliticality is part of why FPSes are these horrible right-wing homicidal wankfests they are now, which could have been turned around by a little more thought about why we're running around with guns killing people-shaped things.)

EDIT: Just one more comment: the scroll is an amusing weapon. Like, you never see what's actually written on it, it's like reading it already binds you to some bad shit but the player can make just about any inference they want about the actual contents.

We need more stuff like this in FPSes.

HAVESOMEMOREMOREEDIT: 3:45 so that's what the "fruit bowl" thing is about.

You might wanna ask Kinsie if you could borrow the Reelism bronies, if only as a placeholder...

EDIT: From a youtube comment: Knee-Deep In The Cans
Last edited by Matt on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

The weapons (Except the Texas Icer, I'm thinking of a new design for it) have been updated. Check out the initial post.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

seclongo wrote:And could you please tell us what exactly is the message behind this mod? What political statement do you feel is so very,very important that you feel you must deliver it to us, the ignorant unwashed masses, in the form of a Doom mod?
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I guess the statement is economic freedom? I'd like your opinion on the new weapons, since that was your first complaint.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”