Capitalist Conquest: Freedom vs Fruitbowl WIP

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MetroidJunkie

Capitalist Conquest: Freedom vs Fruitbowl WIP

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Something I've been working on and off for the longest time now and it's been reconstructed throughout its life, a mod based around the old Internet Show that used to air, True Capitalist Radio. He got into the stock market and politics and was a favorite among trolls. Most recently, I decided to start going for a more stylized cartoonist appearance.

The maps are in a very early stage. I have a level 30 but I recommend giving yourself all weapons since you're meant to keep weapons from previous levels.

I've got a hub system working, though. You go into his office near the housing community, events roll, you go into the opened door and find his capital cruiser to gain access to the edges of the map to see two other maps that have been started in a very basic structural form.

Weapons and their slot selection order;
Spoiler:
There are enemies themed for the mod but they're not set in stone and only use sight and death sounds so they're still technically the Original Doom Monsters. I may create custom monsters or atleast custom behavior for the ones I have since, when I came up with them, I knew nothing of DECORATE or ACS scripts.

OpenGL derivatives such as GZDoom required for the 3D models.

Recent Video Footage:
Spoiler:
Graphics mod: http://www.mediafire.com/?o1gpdctdhg0327d

Maps: http://www.mediafire.com/?a2eq6dti87rp9fw
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Capitalist Conquest: Freedom vs Fruitbowl WIP

Post by Kinsie »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Most recently, I decided to start going for a more stylized cartoonist appearance.
You should probably learn to draw first.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Kinsie wrote:You should probably learn to draw first.
They're actually modified 3D models but the low resolution shrinking made it difficult to give outlines to and have it be smooth.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

MetroidJunkie wrote:They're actually modified 3D models but the low resolution shrinking made it difficult to give outlines to and have it be smooth.
I'm pretty sure most 3D modelling tools nowadays have "toon shaders" that you can use as a base. Even Blender has one!

If you're telling me that this hand and stick is a 3D model:
then clearly something has gone awry in your process.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Kinsie wrote:I'm pretty sure most 3D modelling tools nowadays have "toon shaders" that you can use as a base. Even Blender has one!
If you're telling me that this hand and stick is a 3D model:
then clearly something has gone awry in your process.
They were originally palleted to Doom's color scheme before they were 'enhanced' so that, in addition to low res, makes it hard to retain information. The more detail I add to such a small sprite, the more pixelated it is. For reference, here's what the original sprite of the weapon you pointed out looked like before I modified it;

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

MetroidJunkie wrote:They were originally palleted to Doom's color scheme before they were 'enhanced' so that, in addition to low res, makes it hard to retain information. The more detail I add to such a small sprite, the more pixelated it is.
ZDoom freely supports PNGs of any pallete because it's intelligent and fuelled by science. It also supports scaling, so you can use any resolution within reason. I'm also not sure how palletes and resolution size changes your inability to draw a straight line (look at that TNT stick (assuming it's a TNT stick) inventory image!)

Also the way that wrist looks with the arbitrarily reduced details and sloppy hand-outlining, it wouldn't bend at all. Even if you're striving to be the cartooniest thing this side of Loony Toons, Googling for reference material never hurts.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Kinsie wrote:ZDoom freely supports PNGs of any pallete because it's intelligent and fuelled by science. It also supports scaling, so you can use any resolution within reason. I'm also not sure how palletes and resolution size changes your inability to draw a straight line (look at that TNT stick (assuming it's a TNT stick) inventory image!)

Also the way that wrist looks with the arbitrarily reduced details and sloppy hand-outlining, it wouldn't bend at all. Even if you're striving to be the cartooniest thing this side of Loony Toons, Googling for reference material never hurts.
That's a scroll and I actually used GIMP to draw straight lines by holding down shift. This is a straight line at the resolution it's at. Also, I'm aware it supports palettes of any kind which is why they currently use palettes but the original sprites were already lacking and the models were lost.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

MetroidJunkie wrote:That's a scroll and I actually used GIMP to draw straight lines by holding down shift. This is a straight line at the resolution it's at. Also, I'm aware it supports palettes of any kind which is why they currently use palettes but the original sprites were already lacking and the models were lost.
This screams of a horribly defunct art creation method. That, or trying to perform CPR on resources that are so old and neglected (missing source files etc.) that they should probably just stay dead in favor of putting the effort into rebuilding them from scratch (or putting that effort into a mod that's not inextricably linked to a dead podcast!)
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Kinsie wrote:(or putting that effort into a mod that's not inextricably linked to a dead podcast!)
So why are you trying to give me advice on how to make it better if you think the project is doomed from the start? You can argue that Doom is a dead game only being kept alive by the community, just like True Capitalist Radio, but I digress. If you think it has no chance of being good, why even argue the specifics?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

MetroidJunkie wrote:So why are you trying to give me advice on how to make it better if you think the project is doomed from the start?
So you can take the information and apply it to fresher, better work? Sometimes you have to know when to fold 'em.
MetroidJunkie wrote:You can argue that Doom is a dead game only being kept alive by the community, just like True Capitalist Radio
No you can't. Doom is a videogame. True Capitalist Radio is an ~*~*~*internet person*~*~*~, and Doom mods solely dedicated to ~*~*~*internet people*~*~*~ tend to be destined to failure from conception on account of just being an overgrown injoke (see: AVGN Doom, and I'm sure there's others).
MetroidJunkie wrote:If you think it has no chance of being good, why even argue the specifics?
Because understanding problems is the first step to avoiding them.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Kinsie wrote:No you can't. Doom is a videogame. True Capitalist Radio is an ~*~*~*internet person*~*~*~, and Doom mods solely dedicated to ~*~*~*internet people*~*~*~ tend to be destined to failure from conception on account of just being an overgrown injoke (see: AVGN Doom, and I'm sure there's others).
If it was just a mod made for the sake of trolls and bronies, you'd have a point but I'm also injecting a political aspect into this. It's still relevant because our economy is still degrading. Furthermore, I started work on the mod long ago when True Capitalist Radio was still airing so should I just abandon the project because it no longer airs?
Kinsie wrote:Because understanding problems is the first step to avoiding them.
Avoiding what? Palleting to the Doom format? Because I've already learned not to do that and I can't go back and fix the ones already made that way.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

While I would agree with a lot of the negative feedback here about the graphics, perhaps more creative feedback such as encouragement as opposed to bashing the mans work would be better and more polite to the author. And as the title of the thread implies, it is a work-in-progress. Just a thought.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

what is this i dont even
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

CeeJay wrote:While I would agree with a lot of the negative feedback here about the graphics, perhaps more creative feedback such as encouragement as opposed to bashing the mans work would be better and more polite to the author. And as the title of the thread implies, it is a work-in-progress. Just a thought.
I appreciate the feedback. Well... I came up with this, is it better?

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

MetroidJunkie wrote:If it was just a mod made for the sake of trolls and bronies, you'd have a point but I'm also injecting a political aspect into this. It's still relevant because our economy is still degrading.
Most people seem to play and mod Doom to avoid the real world, and to avoid getting preached at, whether they're part of the choir or not.
MetroidJunkie wrote:Furthermore, I started work on the mod long ago when True Capitalist Radio was still airing so should I just abandon the project because it no longer airs?
Considering that enjoyment of the mod apparently hangs on whether or not you listened to a defunct pundit apparently localized to a specific state of a specific country, then yeah, it'd probably make sense. Otherwise it's basically something only you and two other people will "get", which is great for you and those two people but a waste of time for everybody else.
MetroidJunkie wrote:Avoiding what? Palleting to the Doom format? Because I've already learned not to do that and I can't go back and fix the ones already made that way.
Yes you can! You can fix them by re-doing them.
MetroidJunkie wrote:I appreciate the feedback. Well... I came up with this, is it better?

Like so! See? Quicker, easier and more effective than trying to resurrect the dead.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”