[mutator] Make It Snappy! v1.12

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Abba Zabba

Re: [mutator] Make It Snappy! v1.10a hotfix

Post by Abba Zabba »

Here are some pictures for clarification:
Spoiler: Pistol
Spoiler: Shotgun
Spoiler: Chaingun
Spoiler: Rocket Launcher
Spoiler: Plasma Rifle
The plasma rifle doesn't suffer from crouching very much at all, but it's still noticeable. Bfg seemed to have very little to no difference.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I know what you mean, I'm just not bothering to change it.

The ultimate aimpoint does change, you still aim where your crosshair is pointing and I have no idea why it looks that high.

Might consider a ZDoom bug report.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Weasel never had this problem with Nazis! (and by extension, Terrorists!) so I don't know why it's happening like it is here. You'd be better off asking him, but you don't care. That's ok.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

From the pistol code:
A_FireCustomMissile("SnappyPistolBullet",0,1,0,4)
...huh.

Setting all of those to zero and setting attackzoffset to 25 something slightly lower than 25, after testing this with -noautoload, instead of 21.
ShinyCrobat

Post by ShinyCrobat »

This is definitely fun, but it feels out of place when playing through normal Doom levels. I believe it could be majorly improved if some levels specifically made for the mod were released!
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Went back to this on my break, such a good mod. I have one question though; how do I set the blood color for the big caco's once they reach their death? I want to change it to blue. I changed the regular blood no problem but the death blood splash the big ones spray everywhere stays red. Thanks.
Tux

Post by Tux »

Fast, furious and fun. I like it.
The best thing is plasma's altfire, killed spider mastermind in about 4 half-arena shots on dis with it.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I replaced "SnappyBlood" with "SnappyCacoGoreBloodMaker: in the SnappyCacodemonLarge's death code, but it only added a bit of blue to the otherwise red cloud of blood. What's the bit of code for the majority of the blood?
Matt

Post by Matt »

You can also set the caco's bloodcolor.

You'll have to do a bit more tweaking with the big caco death/split effect as that relies on separate spawners though.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

As it stands right now this mod makes the game pretty easy. What if projectile monsters were capable of dishing critical hits? They'd pause for a very short moment in one of their attack frames and flash in and out of fullbright while they "charge" up their attack. All crits hit for 2 points. I think it would toughen the mod up a bit while blending in well as an arcade feature for one of the most arcadey mods for Doom I've ever played.

The only thing I see about it being a bit questionable are the monsters that keep firing; to counter this what if monsters like the chaingunner, arachnotron and spider mastermind do a short burst of fire?
Matt

Post by Matt »

They actually already do fire in bursts, with a small chance of the burst looping instantly for a longer burst.

Maybe I'll get rid of that last part.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Is it me or does it seem that bonuses only come towards you when you generally stand in a cardinal direction? Hanging in the directions between them, even being right up next to a bonus while doing this, doesn't seem to make it move.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I think it's just you, though there might be an artifact from measuring distance between square actors.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Been quite some time since I've played this, and it seems even better than before. Only a couple things I noticed that seemed a bit out of place:

The explosion sprite from big cacos sink into the ground a bit, even with sprite clipping adjustment on.

Mega spheres maxing out health and armor and soul spheres giving you an extra life. After playing with this for awhile, it would feel more appropriate for soul spheres to max out your health and armor, while mega spheres max out your health and armor and give you an extra life.

Good stuff again. Might want to increase demon and specter pain chance a bit so they can't bite through the chainsaw.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Actually that was a bug! Fixed in this 0.11!

- bugfix: you never got an extra life from the megasphere.
- chainsaw now has priority over fist.
- removed A_FireCustomMissile offsets in favour of increasing attackzoffset globally.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”