Enhancement mod for EDGE (updated)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Enhancement mod for EDGE (updated)

Post by Ed the Bat »

I hear ya. I'm certainly not opposed to other engines existing, much less for them having mods. I just wasn't sure it was proper to post it here. This sorta struck me as the equivalent of posting in the ZDoom Projects forum to announce one of those GameMaker projects that tries to emulate Doom, or post a Zandronum-only project here just because that engine shares some ZDoom source. After all, posting a ZDoom mod in another section of the ZDoom forums is frowned upon, even though it's still a ZDoom subject. When the forums get used improperly, things get messy really quickly. It's difficult enough to keep things in order, just from the sheer size and scale of this place and what goes on, without things being put in the wrong place.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I actually made two mods for EDGE, DOOMBIA and DOOMBIA2; it was sort of a toss up between ww-cash and ww-nazis (not the new one, the old one, where you had the shovel as a weapon and it was all in dehacked script :P). you could choose starting pistol between a large, medium and small caliber pistol, and you could hold one rifle, 1 shotgun, and 1 explosive weapon. It was a blast to make, and I wish I still had the wads I released, but the forum is locked and dead. IF anyone by chance HAS doombia 1 or 2, please shoot me a pm. the only one that might have it is wildweasel, but he didn't take a liking to my first one since it was based off of some ancient doom mod. He totally booed it, so I doubt he would have kept it. HENCE the second one lol.

I remember I had to force projectiles to fire a bullet to draw blood, projectiles never eliminated exactly on target, trajectories were screwed up, complex reloads were impossible, and there was no inheritance (circa 2006-2008). Edge is, however, much more intuitive to code in, and technically more simple, but it does not hold a candle to the power of decorate script. edge is inferior in just about every way to zdoom, unfortunately. that is precisely why I switched to decorate code.

BTW, for any zdoomers, I also made a wad called WITCHAVENWEAPONS.WAD, or something like that, and it was my first decorate mod ever. if anyone has that, pm me the link please.

But for an edge mod its fantastic, and I have a folder with ICD-SE, DCDEMO1, and adding to my collection is this mod. It really is fantastic.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

I think I have both on my hard drive somewhere - I'll zip 'em up and send them over. And I remember you!! :P Yeah those mods were pretty cool.

Though, 3DGE now has inheritance, trajectories I believe were fixed (on projectiles), floor decals, and I'm not sure about the projectiles to fire a bullet to draw blood thing (you mean rockets and plasma, right)? But I can do that and easily add it to the next release version of 3DGE. My knowledge has...increased quite a bit since the old days. My goal here is to get it somewhat up to speed with the rest of the ports as far as features go. Ceejay and myself have also added Heretic IWAD support (and Chex, I believe), and splitscreen multiplayer. Lots of things have been added since 2008, my friend! ;)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ed the Bat wrote:If that's so, then very well. But I had also been told here that it's okay to post Doom things here, so long as they actually work in ZDoom. Boom or vanilla, for example, would work in ZDoom, so it's fair game. But if it doesn't even work in ZDoom, it seems strange to post it as a ZDoom project.
My rationale is that, if we're allowing vanilla-targeted projects like BtS-X and D2TWID, and even Zandronum-focused stuff like Samsara, then there's no reason at all for me to reject a project for EDGE.

The point about the GameMaker stuff does hold, though; I honestly would draw the line at something like that.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I actually wasn't aware Zandronum projects were accepted. But anyhow, as long as everyone's cool, I have no problem. If anything, I'm just a bit saddened when I can't run something in ZDoom because I'm not able to mesh it with any of my own work; something that has proven to be both a learning experience and very fun hobby for me for the past three-something years.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

as a guy who mods for edge i can let you know one thing: the edge forums are dead as shit, no one pays attention to gameplay mods on doomworld, and other sites just dont go for it
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Ed the Bat wrote:I'm confused. If it can't run in ZDoom, does it really belong in the ZDoom Projects forum?
The new updated mod was first posted on Doomworld and I provided a link to that thread as I KNEW that this discussion would come up as it has many times before, whether or not a mod for another port belongs in the ZDoom forums (or any port-specific forum). I believe the ZDoom and Doomworld forums are the only ones still alive, or at least lively. I just wish people would rather give feedback on the mod itself instead of bitching and moaning about if it belongs here or not. It's Doom-related, of course it does.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

corynne wrote:I think I have both on my hard drive somewhere - I'll zip 'em up and send them over. And I remember you!! :P Yeah those mods were pretty cool.

Though, 3DGE now has inheritance, trajectories I believe were fixed (on projectiles), floor decals, and I'm not sure about the projectiles to fire a bullet to draw blood thing (you mean rockets and plasma, right)? But I can do that and easily add it to the next release version of 3DGE. My knowledge has...increased quite a bit since the old days. My goal here is to get it somewhat up to speed with the rest of the ports as far as features go. Ceejay and myself have also added Heretic IWAD support (and Chex, I believe), and splitscreen multiplayer. Lots of things have been added since 2008, my friend! ;)
No way! well, that's actually good to hear! I wish you luck on your work on edge, It is a fun engine. its the only other non-zdoom based engine I play with regularly. If you have my old mods, I may just continue my work on them, as i was highly interested in the project(s) at the time, but ran into way to many technical issues.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

A minor update for all those interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4qb7m ... ever15.zip
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Some minor touch-ups

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wikmo ... ever16.zip

* Reduced the volume of the strobe light sound effect
* Enemies now have a greater chance of being gibbed when killed by explosives (rockets and barrels)
* The barrel now has its own unique obituary message for when players are killed by it
* The Spider Mastermind now has its own unique walking sound
* New blood drip, as spawned by hanging bodies

Return to “Gameplay Mods”