Weasel Presents: Terrorists!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Police Brutality (Weasel Presents: Terrorists!): Update!

Post by wildweasel »

Honestly, yes. That's the beauty of Doom being as moddable as it is; nothing is set in stone. I can easily say "please don't use these options in my mod," just as easily as a player can say "Nope, I'm turning on autoaim and infinite ammo because I like it that way." The user experience is pretty much exactly what its name implies: it's up to the user how they experience it.

Granted, it'd be awfully nice if we could have some variant on A_FireCustomMissile that includes amount and spread arguments...then I suppose we wouldn't even be having this discussion. =P
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Agreed wholeheartedly. I did once ponder idly about that (a variant of A_FireCustomMissile), but I was told it's probably not the best idea. I haven't the faintest clue on working with this engine development-side, so I can't really say much. I'm mostly just bummed about the hand grenade issue. Not that I blame anybody for it, it just makes me sad*.

*In all fairness, I'm easy to make sad, as I'm generally an unhappy person who also suffers from clinical depression (and also forgot to take my medications last night)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I am subjecting myself once more to this thread just to say that people who don't play with mouselook are weird. I mean, it's an FPS - I know it's Doom, but the idea of not being able to pinpoint with a crosshair and kill anything underneath it has always been my deal breaker. (That fits for both terrible accuracy and the inability to look up and down to shoot people, by the way. :P ) Maybe that's why I'm glad source ports happened and we have options like that.

Now to return to terrorizing instead of submitting modern opinions in threads about mods for old games.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I'm honestly wondering if I should add an "Enable Weapon Recoil" switch now.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I do play with mouselook. I just... simply like autoaim. That being said, I was never opposed to recoil on the weapons, but considering the fact that user cvars now make toggling things like this so easily possible, perhaps it's worth considering!
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Hey hey, while you're at it, you could make multiple weapon recoil options. None, light, normal, high, HYPER REALISM...
;)
Keralastic

Post by Keralastic »

The only functional way I know of to have vertical spread that persists through autoaim is to make the unique projectiles for each weapon's bullets apply a random vertical velocity on spawning.

I made a sloppy mockup a while ago, it definitely has some quirks, but maybe it can be sufficient with some fiddling.

I'm pretty sure the latest ZDoom SVN builds have flags for A_FireCustomMissile that solve the whole issue though.
Attachments
vertspread.wad
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Keralastic wrote:I'm pretty sure the latest ZDoom SVN builds have flags for A_FireCustomMissile that solve the whole issue though.
Considering the last SVN build is from June of 2013, I'm not keen on downgrading by 16 months for... any reason. But no, even today, no such thing as that exists.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well, if someone does knows about that flag that we don't know, i'd like to hear.
Slax wrote:Hey hey, while you're at it, you could make multiple weapon recoil options. None, light, normal, high, HYPER REALISM...
;)
only normal would be enough, there's no detailed works are needed for one recoil settings.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Captain J wrote:
Slax wrote:Hey hey, while you're at it, you could make multiple weapon recoil options. None, light, normal, high, HYPER REALISM...
;)
only normal would be enough, there's no detailed works are needed for one recoil settings.
It would not be difficult. The multiplication could be done within the ACS script call to check for the presence of any option, so the DECORATE would not need to be different whether there's just one recoil mode, or five different modes.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

EDIT: Okay, now i know acs scripting is the best medicine for it, but i don't think it would be necessary since default recoil is noivce to go. Just adding the on-off setting will do.

Or, maybe I was thinking wrong. it could be least necessary, but i bet no one wants to make this mod even more realistic like what C named modern fps game does.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

So maybe even a numerical scale then if that's even easier. 0.0 to 3.0 or some such.
A similar system for bullet speed, player health, enemy health and speed... now there's something. Custom difficulty.

Why? Because... we can? :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Recoil multiplier slider has now been added to the options menu. It ranges from 0 (off) to 20 (20 times normal recoil, for people who have extremely sensitive mice and extremely un-sensitive eyes only). Default is 1.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

@Weasel If You are adding no weapon leveling as option maybe You should concider adding leveling speed option? Three level option:fast,normal and slow.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Zaratul wrote:@Weasel If You are adding no weapon leveling as option maybe You should concider adding leveling speed option? Three level option:fast,normal and slow.
Why not add a slider that adjusts a constant in the leveling formula? I suppose he could take the "3 distinct settings" approach, but the player would have much more precision control over the leveling pace if he had a slider to adjust it with.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”