[Release] Jetpacked Piranha Cannon

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReedtheStrange

[Release] Jetpacked Piranha Cannon

Post by ReedtheStrange »

The Piranha Cannon is a weapon that launches rocket-propelled piranhas that chase a monster, eating it until it is either dead, or it hits a wall and explodes. It doesn't fit in the megawad/game that I'm working on right now, but I felt the urge to make this weapon. This weapon was almost entirely made out of impulse. You can throw it in any WAD and have fun watching one piranha circle around and eat a boss, or munch through a crowd of smaller monsters. It's particularly fun to stand in front of a cyberdemon and launch one, get killed, then watch one projectile kill it while it's standing still.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?g7a6c0a20v76qc4
RV-007

Re: [Release] Jetpacked Piranha Cannon

Post by RV-007 »

Look pretty good, but I think it still adheres to a (slow) rocket launcher than a flying piranha. Maybe I can't aim correctly. I don't know if this should be in the resource, but that's like my hell chainsaw weapons mod. A piranha boomerang projectile might be a good idea. I look forward to have the piranha projectile to chomp anyone (includes player) who gets in its pursuit.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

RV-007 wrote:Look pretty good, but I think it still adheres to a (slow) rocket launcher than a flying piranha. Maybe I can't aim correctly. I don't know if this should be in the resource, but that's like my hell chainsaw weapons mod. A piranha boomerang projectile might be a good idea. I look forward to have the piranha projectile to chomp anyone (includes player) who gets in its pursuit.
I originally had it faster, but it often crashed into walls unless it was a very wide open space. Although, a multiplayer version would have to be a bit faster, because I designed it to eat large monsters like cyberdemons. If you get a direct hit, it will follow and fly circles around a monster and continuously eat it. Although, a player could easily outrun a piranha.
It's somewhat difficult to use on monsters, but awesome when it works.

The frame rate of this video is terrible because the built in recording device on my laptop isn't very high quality, but here's a few uses of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwxydatOVqY

In each clip, I only use one piranha. The last one probably demonstrates its effects the best.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Very cool weapon! At first I also thought it was a slow, powerfull rocket launcher, because I tested it in map 01. When used against stronger enemies, feels more like a piranha. I think it is a bit too strong, when it gibs a monster in one bite it´s just like a rocket.

When I saw the title, I thought the piranha would be a melee actor that would "stick" into his victim biting it to death. That would be nice too.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

This is a brilliant n' bizarre idea, but the execution could use a little tweaking. First and foremost is the lack of sounds, and the projectile speed can be improved safely by increasing the seeking threshold so it turns sharper. Still, funny stuff. :P
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

this, reelism, now
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Damn, do those things explode hard! o.O Might want to tone that down a bit.. I was wondering what was instagibbing me all the time for a while, heh.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”