"Execution could not continue" - Your ZDoom may be too old!

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: "Execution could not continue" - Your ZDoom may be too o

Post by Graf Zahl »

These days the only valid reasons to use devbuilds are:

1. You want to test your mod with upcoming code changes.
2. Your mod depends on some bugfix / new feature that hasn't been released yet (but then you shouldn't release your mod before the required features become official.)
3. You want to act as a beta tester to give feedback to the developers

Under no circumstances should devbuilds be used for a mod release! There is absolutely no guarantee that any devbuild feature may survive unaltered until the next release. Unless some code ends up in an official release it may be removed or altered without notice. It's really too bad that ZDoom's extremely spotty release schedule basically forced people to ignore any common sense regarding beta-quality code.

Regarding current GZDoom, the last official release is roughly 2 months old by now, and the next one is very close to being published. 2017 has seen 10 new releases of GZDoom so there should really be no need to resort to devbuilds anymore.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The intent of the OP is still true, however: if you're getting "Execution could not continue" messages, you should make sure you're not running an old version of (G)ZDoom.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

... Yeah, the last time I updated it was after the switch from SVN to git, and the ensuing rename of the DRD builds page. I'd pretty much forgotten about it since then. (Largely because it didn't appear to help much even when that information was still valid.)

I'll see if I can whip up something more up-to-date (and concise). I'd say this thread should be retired, but I think folks could use the reminder.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Okay, having this hard-linked from the top of the forum has finally kicked my terrible memory into updating it. :P

Now more concise and up-to-date. Now with in-line links! [citation needed]
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

I've downloaded the newest version of GZDoom, it seems to work very well but for some reason the whole config file is messed up, everything is just written without any paragraphs and makes it very hard to navigate. You know, the .ini file where you can set autoload paths for your wads and stuff. Is it normal? I tried manually adjusting the text to make it formated just like it would be normally, but after starting up GZDoom again, everything just got messed up again.

(Also my apologies if this is not the right place to ask this)

phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

That's because it's using LF line-endings instead of CRLF. Notepad only got support for non-CRLF line endings in a recent Windows 10 update. You have to either use some other text editor, or Windows 10 with the latest feature update installed.
thewolfman00001

Post by thewolfman00001 »

I tried getting Cult's Arsenal 1.7 to work with GZDoom but it refuses to start up even with the latest versions. I wrote about this on the Cult's Arsenal thread and decided to copy paste what I said there here:

"I tried loading up this mod with the latest versions of ZDoom and GZDoom And got an error message stating "Script error, "CultsArsenal_v1.7.pk3:actors/wand.txt" line 22: Sprite names must be exactly 4 characters" What is this about? is there any way I can troubleshoot this issue? Cult's Arsenal looks like a amazing mod and I don't wanna miss out"

I have a feeling that this is just an issue with the mod itself and not with GZDoom but I just wanted to hear what you guys think on the matter.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's the content of the offending line?
thewolfman00001

I hope I don't sound dumb or annoying when I say this, but I can't find the offending line. There doesn't seem to be any numbering that shows what line is what and the layout of wand.txt is quite confusing (I am not good with programming) So would it help if I just cut and pasted screen grabs of the text here?

Here it is just in case:
Capture.PNG
Capture 2.PNG
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The offending lines in question are the frames using sprite names with numbers in them ("FX01"). This probably worked before the inclusion of the ZScript compiler, but it's a clear mod bug...
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Zhs2 wrote:The offending lines in question are the frames using sprite names with numbers in them ("FX01"). This probably worked before the inclusion of the ZScript compiler, but it's a clear mod bug...
No. That was never a bug. That sprite is from Heretic itself. The problem is the semicolon on line 22* or so.
I really recommend using a better text editor like Sublime Text, Notepad++ or Notepad2. That way, you'll have line numbers in the editor.

(* I believe. Counting lines in a screenshot is surprisingly hard)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Oops. The line with the first instance of sprite name FX01 does happen to be the only line with the semicolon at the end... :oops:
Gez

Post by Gez »

What happens is that after the losing parenthesis, the DECORATE parser expects a new state definition to start since it has finished the current one, gets a token that's just one-character-long (";") and complains that it wants a token that's four-character-long.

Perhaps the error message could show the token that caused the error.
thewolfman00001

Is there any way to fix the error? I mean all I would have to do is correct the error in the offending line right?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

thewolfman00001 wrote:Is there any way to fix the error? I mean all I would have to do is correct the error in the offending line right?
Yes - remove the semicolon on that line and it should work fine, as I understand.

Return to “Technical Issues”