[Heretic] Hexercise II: Untomed & Unafraid

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lioyd_Irving

[Heretic] Hexercise II: Untomed & Unafraid

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

Spoiler: The Fluff
Spoiler: The Pitch
Spoiler: The Rundown
Attachments
l_untomed.zip
13100 GET
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
Last edited by Lioyd_Irving on Sat May 12, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [Heretic] Hexercise II: Untomed & Unafraid

Post by Matt »

Nice! (so that's what the "tomed" versions of the weapons do...)

Would you consider setting the damage towards the higher end of the original random curve though? It takes forever to kill anything...
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Great idea. But please increase the damage of the tomed Firemace to bosses, 18 is WAY too low. Most importantly though, replace the tome of power with some more interesting than bags of holding.
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

Second probably isn't going to happen, I'm afraid. Ammo balance is ridiculously delicate and the fact that mere bags of holding keep the whole thing from crashing down at all is already a borderline miracle.

First is a ton easier, thanks to the way the game handles the tomed Mace. I'm thinking something like 750; that's roughly 10 times the damage (ie 10 times the mean of its original damage range; 18*40=720 as opposed to 18d8) and it'll kill off one Maulotaur in 4 shots. I do hesitate, though. The [wiki=Actor_flags#BOSS]BOSS[/wiki] flag seems to work specifically so as to discourage players from using the tomed Mace against Maulotaurs, and the ability to one-shot absolutely anything but a Maulotaur is ridiculous enough to warrant an equally-ridiculous ammo cost.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Getting tag_skullrodp every time I heft up the Hellstaff. Likewise with the Phoenix Rod and Firemace.

Also, might I ask why the Phoenix Rod recoils you downward?
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

Upward didn't look very good. Since the recoil is strong enough to push Corvus back, I'd wager most of the force would hit his midsection. (Plus, I doubt such a "gunnish" thing as muzzle climb would apply to magic wands and staves...)

The Hellstaff, Rod and Mace all inherit from their tomed selves. It's that way because their behavior is hard-coded within functions that are restricted to themselves and inheritors, and are either incredibly messy or outright impossible to fully reproduce in DECORATE. (It's also the reason why the Gauntlets' damage isn't unrandomized.)
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Sometimes when I had full ammo with the Hellstaff, it wouldn't let me change weapons (by using weapon_prev & weapon_next anyway; number keys would allow me to change weapons).
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

YES! I hoped to see this for Heretic.
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

New build out. Fixes, tweaks, and a surprise.

EDIT: Tits. Thanks, Vae.
Last edited by Lioyd_Irving on Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

That links to Hexercise :S

Return to “Gameplay Mods”