Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: Improving PerK's smooth animations mod

Post by Nash »

Hmmm, after looking at the sprite a few times, I think I have a gripe about it: the explosion "spikes" in the first frame kinda look funny to me, IMO. Makes it look cartoony. Also makes it look like it came from a Doom Imp ball or a Caco ball rather than from a rocket explosion.

TDLR; it looks cartoony and unnatural... like the explosion sprites in Heretic; too cartoony!

EDIT: Thanks for making it, Minigunner. It's a good animation, just the first frame really bothers me... :S
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

So this is inserting non weapon smooth anims? I'm definitely watching this!

While we're at it, let's add some idle frames for monsters so they're not dancing in place. :P
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Oh crap, looks like the weapons aren't the only things getting smoother. :O
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Yanno, i just realised. Combine the textures lump with the smooth sprite animation transition, and you could have an insanely smooth weapon set
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

One thing I miss a lot from this is single shooting with the chaingun, which is why I may withhold from using it for the time being. Any chance single shooting will be reimplemented?
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Zombieguy wrote:Oh crap, looks like the weapons aren't the only things getting smoother. :O
If we're doing this, I've got some explosive barrel sprites somewhere that have additional frames and some extra bullet puff frames, if anyone's interested.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Sounds good.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Found it:
zrrion_Stuff.png
zrrion_Stuff.png (20.64 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
The bullet puff sprites haven't been tested, so they may not look right.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Just tried Blox's version. Some things...

- I don't like the gloves on the fists. Can you make a version without gloves, just like original Doom?
- Rocket explosion doesn't leave behind decals.
- The BFG firing animation looks funny. I don't get the nozzle thing getting sucked in then coming out again. It doesn't seem like a powerful blast if it's animated that way...
- The wobbly idle chainsaw is a nice touch, but the attacking animation is too static in comparison.

Also, my two cents... this mod should only concern weapons and things related to weapons. The rocket explosion is from the rocket launcher, which is a weapon, which is fine... the bullet puff would also be okay too I guess, since the puffs originate as a result of the player using his weapons.

I'm not sure about explosive barrels though. I mean, if that was in, then someone's going to do the burning barrel next. Then the twitching corpses. Then the floating eye thing... etc etc. Where does it stop?

I'd say no definitely to monster animations. Those deserve to be in a separate pack.

Just throwing my opinion. I guess the explosive barrel is fine... I dunno.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

zrrion the insect wrote:Found it:
zrrion_Stuff.png
The bullet puff sprites haven't been tested, so they may not look right.
This looks good. Maybe I should try to contribute also.
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

Extra flash frame from the Doom Press Release Beta. I have actually based a frame of the interpolated explosion off of that.

For all asking about the first frame, the "spikes" are from the Cacodemon ball explosion, and they were put there to emphasize the power of the explosion (come to think of it, if I want to do that, then the rays are way too short for that). If you don't want them, they should be removable.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

This is coming along quite nicely. Although, NightFright hasn't been here since May 7th. So I doubt he'll update the links soon.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Now that I look back at this thread, there are like a million versions by so many different people, I don't even know which one I should keep as my permanent autoload... might have to piece together bits and pieces from the various mods to create the version that I want...
Blox

Post by Blox »

I was waiting for Nash to come out with something, but since he hasn't - Here goes.
Changes are that Zrrion's extended barrel explosion was added, and that one extra RL flash frame.

Oh, and I'm working on something: UPDATE - Improved the look of the gloved punching fists. Now they actually look like Doom gloves. o_O
Spoiler:
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Blox wrote:I was waiting for Nash to come out with something, but since he hasn't - Here goes.
Changes are that Zrrion's extended barrel explosion was added, and that one extra RL flash frame.

Oh, and I'm working on something: UPDATE - Improved the look of the gloved punching fists. Now they actually look like Doom gloves. o_O
Spoiler:
Oh wow nice, thanks for the glove update especially

Return to “Gameplay Mods”