Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Scuba Steve

Re: Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2]

Post by Scuba Steve »

You might as well use the most recent and best smooth combat shotgun animation now that I'm finished with it.

Scuba fixed Smooth Weapons All the frames are timed for Vanilla compat.

Might I also recommend using the rocket launcher firing frames from this version too... there are still issues with the one in this project where the flash frames do not line up properly.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 3.2.1 released

Post by NightFright »

I have merged Belmondo's RL fix into the main branch. Still undecided about the crosshair fire pull request. Regarding the new SSG, I rather won't mess with it right now, but I may reconsider at a later point once I got more time.

In the meantime, I guess we have enough for a service release, so here it is.

CHANGELOG v3.2.1 (May 25, 2020):
- Improved SSG timings (by DenisBelmondo)
- Fixed Rocket Launcher flash (by DenisBelmondo)
- Fixed Plasma Rifle flash (by Nash)
- LANGUAGE lump support (by Nash)
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Post by Xtyfe »

Do these weapon edits come with brightmap support at all?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Right now, brightmaps are not implemented.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I did make a full set of brightmaps for this mod, it's posted here: viewtopic.php?p=1144968#p1144968
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Xtyfe »

I had hoped that might be the case, though I was certainly ready to make my own. Thank you :)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Eventually I will integrate the brightmaps, but right now I have no time for it. If Nash's brightmaps can still be used in the current version (which they should if none of the graphics have been changed since), it shouldn't take long. Stay tuned.

Update June 17:
I added a link to Nash's brightmaps to the OP. If there is a common demand for integrating this into the mod (mostly for convenience), I can still do it later.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

Actually epic that you can make doomguy righthanded with this :)
In this version also the BFG Timing seems correct. Thank you :)

edit: Oh nevermind. Seems like perkristian never had BFG Timing issue either. It seems like it was the PFEnh (Particle Fire Enhancer) mod which has the BFG Timing on Hold Fire off.
Nevermind then :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

@NightFright:

I have been playing with a personal fork of this mod that adds the following:

- screen recoil FX (purely camera-only; it does not physically alter the player's pitch. Utilizes bleeding edge ViewAngles feature of GZDoom to achieve this)
- bullet casings (all-new not-seen-anywhere sprites and sounds made by me)
- true 3D cone for hitscans (meaning when you look straight up/down and fire the shotgun/SSG, the bullets actually spread correctly, instead of just being a single straight line. Same goes for the pistol and chaingun; the spread is true 3D)
- visible bullet tracers (using a model; therefore not compatible with the software renderer)
- enhanced bullet ricochet effects (the vanilla puff is unaltered; I just spawn extra effects for the ricochet. These effects are surface-normal-aware; they align to the flat/wall angle. Uses models, won't work in software)
- floor/ceiling bullet holes and scorch marks for the rocket, plasma and BFG (again, uses models; won't work in software)
- dynamic blood stains on chainsaw - monster blood color-aware! The blood stains are universally compatible with any blood color, the stains dynamically change color depending on what was sawed
- also manually merged in m8f's "fire at crosshair" feature

These are my personal tweaks that I enjoy playing with, but keeping in mind with the original concept of the mod that they must fit the vanilla aesthetics. And IMO I've achieved that.

I'm unsure if you have any interest in having these in the main mod. If you are, I can merged them in, of course with all of them disabled by default. Though there is one catch:

It's either all or none. Since these are my own personal tweaks, I will not go through the trouble of selectively adding one or two features for the sake of other peoples' convenience. It's quite a bit of work to code these in the first place and I simply have no energy to separate each part out individually. Either take them all or reject them entirely.

And again, as I said, if you want these in the main mod, they will be disabled by default so they don't even exist to the first-time user. :)

Thoughts?
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give a resounding FUCK YEAH on behalf of the community, thank you.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I personally wouldn't use most of those, but since they would be deactivated by default as you write, implementing everything would be OK from my side. I guess there are enough people out there who would like to see these changes and after all there needs to be something in this pack that really stands out compared to using regular Smooth Doom.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Don't know if my opinion on that topic matters, but those features sound great and very fitting in my opinion. Especially considering that they are configurable and off by default.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

Nash wrote:- true 3D cone for hitscans (meaning when you look straight up/down and fire the shotgun/SSG, the bullets actually spread correctly, instead of just being a single straight line. Same goes for the pistol and chaingun; the spread is true 3D)
Is the actual gun changed, or its just visual?

Otherwise I would be interested.
Also I still wish the damagetype deaths of the "Particle Fire Enhancer" Mod would be available seperate instead of in a big mod where I dont like many of the stuff in it..
For example I absolutely love the chainsaw death of the cacodemon.

PFEnhancer has a lot of stuff I like, but a lot of stuff I dislike too and I have a bit trouble to seperate it with my no skill.
For example another difficulty would be for me, using THIS mod's smoothed weapons instead of these in the PFEnhancer (one of the reasons is because in PFEnhancer the BFG Hold Fire is too fast, Timing not correct), but still having the rest of the weapons intact -> For example I absolutely love of PFEnhancer that the tracer of hitscans being visible and causing impact sounds even depending on surface.

Also I would love to replace the Barrel explosions of the PFEnhancer with the ones of Brutal Doom, because the explosion of brutal doom is waaaaay more satisfying and on top of that being a much cooler explosion it is even much less fps demanding than the ones in PFEnh which really cost a lot of fps, unlike these of Brutal Doom
misery.

Post by misery. »

Where can I download the Smooth Weapons black gloves edition?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It's not a separate mod any more, you can switch between gloves in the menu.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”