Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: PerK's Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v2.0 out NOW]

Post by Nash »

Sorry for the delay; I just sent you a link to the beta.

About your HUD mod, I'll have to look at that another time. I haven't done many HUD mods but converting a HUD to ZScript basically means ditching SBARINFO completely.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 3.0 released

Post by NightFright »

With the kind assistance of Nash, the mod has seen another - this time hopefully final - complete revision. Just forget about v2.0, THIS is the real deal! Now everything is as convenient as it can possibly get: Not only do you have black and normal gloves in one mod, now the whole mod is written in ZScript with some really convenient extra features which can all be toggled via an ingame menu. There's even some stuff that hasn't been there until now, such as being able to also choose between left- or right-handed fists (not just pistol), an option for gloveless fists (like in vanilla, if you don't like the edited version) or smooth explosions and projectiles (for Rocket Launcher, Plasmagun and BFG). Don't like any of those? Just turn 'em off.

Basically this is the way it should have been from the beginning and now everything is the way I have always wanted it. Thanks a lot to Nash for his effort to fix and polish this neat little mod to reach perfection!

Changelog v3.0 (Jul 30, 2019):
- Full mod overhaul by Nash Muhandes: Rewritten in ZScript, lots of new features
- Player classes removed
- Re-timed all weapon durations to match vanilla, using sample-precise audio comparison techniques to make sure the firing repeat rate match up with vanilla 1:1. Note: Only re-firing is accurate; in-between clicks of SG/SSG reloads might still be a little off but do not affect gameplay
- Added an options menu to toggle various features:
1) Left or right-handed pistol and fist
2) Black or brown gloves
3) Gloveless fist (vanilla-like)
4) Smooth explosions
5) Faster weapon response and switching
6) Smooth projectile sprites
- Reorganized sprites into sub-folders
PhysixCat

Re: PerK's Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.0]

Post by PhysixCat »

Hello NightFright

I have discovered a very minor conflict when using your Smooth Weapons Enhanced v3.0 alongside m8f's IDCLEVer (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=61079). When pistol starting a new map, you start with all your weapons "holstered" (as in, no weapons are drawn). If you press either the pistol or fist hotkey, then everything will work as normal without issue. The only problem is that Doomguy does not draw his pistol on spawning in a new level anymore. I tried alternating the load order of these two mods, but it made no difference. Do you know how I could go about making sure "Smooth Pistol" gets drawn at mapstart if using IDCLEVer's pistol start? I asked m8f in their thread as well, to hopefully get a better picture of how I could make them compatible for my own use.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Since the mod is now in ZScript and I know nothing about it, you should redirect your question to Nash. I have no idea what ZScript is doing and how it interacts with code from other mods.

An educated guess however is that this mod uses different actor names for weapons and if other mods call the original actors, it might cause issues. Even though the new weapons should inherit from the old ones. No clue what m8f did in his mod, either.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Dammit, should've known my little hack isn't bulletproof. :S What's happening here is, the default Doom pistol is taken away from the player at PlayerEntered... this is to prevent making a new player class with a customized StartItem. I can't think of any good solutions yet. I'll wait to see what m8f says, because I don't have that IDCLEVer mod and I don't know how it works.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

I'm taking the default weapon list with player.GetDropItems:

Code: Select all

private void ResetWeapons(PlayerPawn player)
  {
    DropItem drop = player.GetDropItems();

// If the player has any weapons in StartItem, set them here
    string lastStartWeapon = ""; // to set default weapon
    if (drop != null)
    {
      for (DropItem di = drop; di != null; di=di.Next)
      {
        if (di.Name == "None") { continue; }

let weptype = (class<weapon>)(di.Name);

if (weptype != null)
        {
          lastStartWeapon = di.Name;
          player.A_SetInventory(di.Name, di.Amount);
        }
      }
    }

// here the default weapon is selected (normally, "Pistol").
    if (lastStartWeapon != "")
    {
      let weaponInInv = player.FindInventory(lastStartWeapon);
      player.UseInventory(weaponInInv);
    }
  }
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ok, thanks. I'll look into fixing this soon.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Quick note that the pistol sprite is several pixels higher than it should be compared to vanilla's sprites..
Attachments
PerK's
PerK's
Vanilla
Vanilla
Nash

Post by Nash »

@Armaetus: thanks, fixed. Will be available in next update (after I figure out how to deal with the StartItem thing we were discussing above)
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

hello there, i'm not sure if i'm too late but i've modified this version of the mod to include the following changes:

altered the duration of flash frames for the pistol, shotgun, and super shotgun. they are just a tad bit slower and imho it looks better this way
fixed the pistol (the left hand sprites looked to be "damaged" somehow, shifted it downwards by 6 pixels to match the original's ypos exactly, pixels that were supposed to be #000 weren't so i fixed that as well)
implemented scuba steve's improved shotgun frames
completely reanimated the plasma rifle "cool down" so it's more faithful to vanilla
completely reanimated the bfg9000 (frames taken from sgt. shivers' work done for final doomer)

hopefully at least some of this will be of use/appreciated: linky
Last edited by DenisBelmondo on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

@DenisBelmondo

The pistol being 6 pixels too high is already fixed on my end. :) And yeah, the artwork was probably very sloppily edited (my bad), so I'll take any improvements offered here.

As for your reanimation work - are the refire speeds touched at all? IMO this is the most important aspect of weapon functionality and I went to great lengths to make sure that weapon firing and refiring matches vanilla 1:1... if you altered these, I'd like to know your method of accuracy, how you came up with the numbers you used in your changes, things like that.

The other stuff that doesn't involve weapon firing functionality - sounds good. :)

I'll have a look later when I'm able, thanks in advance for your contribution.
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

i've been extremely careful to match the vanilla timings exactly. my method is basically looking at the original definition for the weapon, counting how many tics there are before the A_Shoot() actions, how many tics there are afterwards, not counting A_ReFire() and onwards of course, i basically consider anything on A_ReFire() and onwards as a "no touchy" zone. i'm doing some quadruple checking right now and i've already found that i had one tic too many on the plasma rifle "cool down" animation, lmfao. my bad, i'll edit this post when i'm done quintuple checking the frame timings. the link i provided above will also be updated.

edit: alright it should be a-ok now.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

@Nash
Once you are done with the fixes, be sure to give me the new file first so I can place it in the original post with changelog and everything.

Side note: Since I can't send you PMs, please PM me once you have time for taking a look at my other project which is (almost) feature complete and would profit a lot from "zsciptification". Cheers!
Nash

Post by Nash »

The next update will take some time. I still have no good ideas on what to do about the StartItem issue.
Nash

Post by Nash »

@DenisBelmondo:

Barring my sound-sample test method - which I'll have to update the thread at a later time when I've actually done it - I've incorporated all of your changes, except the BFG one ("completely reanimated the bfg9000 (frames taken from sgt. shivers' work done for final doomer"))

This one will need NightFright's decison. I feel like the new sprites are too different in art style compared to the vanilla ones. Right off the bat, I notice green glows at the muzzle while the weapon is charging (which was never there in the original sprites), and the actual green muzzle flash is much shorter in duration, and kind of looks smaller and less over-the-top, which I thought gave the original sprites their original charm.

On another note, I also have a fix for the IDCLEVer thing, and I've actually tested with the mod loaded and played a couple of levels. Everything seems to work as expected, I hope that's that.

Notes to self added here because my copy is a local Git repo with no Issue tracker:

- Use sample-accuracy test on Belmondo's changes
- Fix A_Light calls for all weapons to match vanilla
- Redo super shotgun reloading frames to match vanilla 100%
- Spawn visual-only replacements SetOrigin'ed on the original projectile balls to avoid shipping this mod with a custom GLDEFS?
- Brightmaps for the new sprites?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”