Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
guitardz
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Improving PerK's smooth animations mod

Post by guitardz »

I'm glad I stumbled across this. Other smooth weapon mods I've used do way too much other stuff as well. Also, thanks for the no switch berserk add-on, Nevander, I'll definitely be grabbing that.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

After Almonds pointed out in the Smooth Doom thread that the SSG fires a few tics faster than vanilla and the plasma rifle can't fire less than three shots in a burst, I tried tracking down the origin of this problem and discovered that it was already present in the mod that started it all. Meaning, every submod which is derived from Perk's Smooth Weapon Animations is affected by this if not explicitly stated otherwise. From the top of my head, these are:

-Smooth Doom
-Your Improvement mod in this very thread
-Nevander's SmoothWeapons (part of his Mini-Mods collection, only hosted on Doomworld I think)
-Ed The Bat's pk_anim1/2fix
-K0rp53's Smooth Weapons on ModDB.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Nightfright

If you're not occupied with anything else atm, would you mind releasing a patch for the above issues? I'm gonna check the fire state durations of all weapons tomorrow and tell you if I find any more discrepancies :)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.4 released

Post by NightFright »

A late and unexpected, yet hopefully welcome update! I cannot promise I managed to fix the Super Shotgun and Plasma Rifle properly, but in that case we can still do some finetuning. Besides those fixes, the only noticable change from Nevander's previous files is that the Berserk pack switches to fists again. (It can be reimplemented rather easily, however.)

Changelog v1.4 (Jul 3, 2019)
- Implemented Nevander's changes from September 2017: Weapons (except chainsaw) switch 2x faster, weapon responsiveness when firing improved, BFG animation improved, some sprite adjustments
- Minor DECORATE code optimizations
- Attempt to fix SSG firing too fast: +4 tics added to A_CheckReload and A_ReFire (+8 tics in total)
- Attempt to fix PR unable to fire less than 3 shots per burst: -3 tics for frame PKPLG (20 tics instead of 23 tics for A_Refire)

Download in first post (one file contains both versions, brown and black gloves).
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

A very late but indeed welcome update.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I am not sure if my Plasma Gun modification made any difference, though. I changed the reload mechanism, it has nothing to do with firing. Anyway, I wasn't able to fire three shots with a single PG burst. If you just shortly press fire, one plasma ball is released. Can't see the problem at first glance.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Faster weapon switching and more responsive weapons really should be something you can toggle. Something something breaking vanilla balance.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Agreed. However, AFAIK it's not possible to have DECORATE code with CVAR switches inside. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to offer it. Right now the only way would be to have two different versions with different DECORATE files.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

You could split it into two different classes if you want to keep everything in one file, right? One more menu choice and that's it. Not like you'd want or need to switch between the two mid-game, I'd imagine.
Vanilla and Speedy.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

True. But first I need to get confirmation that the weapons all fire with their proper speed now.

With a bit of effort, I could even merge the black gloves into the same file via player class, btw.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Don't have any video editing software right now otherwise I'd do a side by side weapons comparison thing. Dang.
Maybe someone more versed in vanilla behavior could compare this stuff without even needing to do any recording. (Wink wink. Anyone?)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

PerK Enhanced v2.0 Beta

Post by NightFright »

Here is a prototype of the new version. For now it's just the version with normal (brown) gloves.

Changelog so far:
- File format changed from WAD to PK3
- Class selection: choose between "Smooth" (slow/vanilla weapon switching) and "Fast + Smooth" (fast weapon switching)
- Faster weapon switching
- Pistol, Shotgun and SSG animations refined
- Plasmagun A_ReFire for "Hold" state refined, re-added 3 tics to PKPLG

Please check in particular if I got the Super Shotgun and Plasmagun right this time. Any other firing behavior deviating from vanilla should also be reported. I want to get it 100% right this time.

*DOWNLOAD DEPRECATED AND DELETED*
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Perk Enhanced v2.0 FINAL

Post by NightFright »

After several days of tweaking, I feel like it's time to release this before I break it. ^^ There were many bugs in the beta version I had released earlier this week, so it was time to remove it before it spreads too much. The chainsaw sounds for example were quite broken, and also pretty much all the state jumps in DECORATE were set incorrectly. But no worries, I figured it out! I also FINALLY managed to merge the Black Gloves Edition with the standard version, which was something I wanted to do since the beginning. You now have the convenient choice between normal and fast weapon switching for both normal and black gloves in the class selection before starting a new game. That's basically four weapon versions in one file!

I really tried hard to find and eliminate any bugs, but I still can't promise I got the SSG and Plasmagun firing tic 100% right. They seem to fire at the correct rates as far as I could check it with my stop watch. Anyway, this is a great release and I hope you guys can enjoy it. It's quite satisfying to be able to improve the mod even further beyond its previous limits, even though I thought I was done with it some years ago.

CHANGELOG v2.0 (Jul 12, 2019)
  • File format changed from WAD to PK3
  • Standard and Black Gloves Edition merged (yeah, baby!)
  • Class selection lets you choose between:
    1) "Smooth Weapons" (improved PerK animations, normal weapon switching)
    2) "Fast Weapon Switch" (the same, but with additional fast weapon switching)
    3) "Black Gloves: Smooth" (like #1, but with black gloves)
    4) "Black Gloves: Fast Switch" (like #2, but with black gloves)
  • Lump filtering (prevents getting SSG in Doom 1 via IDFA/IDKFA)
  • Faster weapon switching (also for chainsaw)
  • Pistol, Shotgun and SSG animations refined
  • Plasmagun A_ReFire for "Hold" state refined, re-added 3 tics to PKPLG
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: PerK's Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v2.0 out NOW]

Post by Armaetus »

This is nice, but the only minor thing that bugs me is the right handed pistol. I'm too used to left handed pistol personally.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: PerK's Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v2.0 out NOW]

Post by NightFright »

Well, it was supposed to be a fix, and I think it was in PerK's original version already. Maybe I'll do the inverted pistol hand one of these days and add it as an alternate version for those that really want it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”