Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheOldKingCole

Re: PerK's Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.1.3]

Post by TheOldKingCole »

So Basically it looks like the ssg has all of 3 frames for moving the ssg upwards before reloading. Compared to the regular shotgun which appears to have way more animation frames, it's kind of jarring.
Dklark

Post by Dklark »

Been nagging me too, its not as smooth as Nevander's old pwad version.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.1.3]

Post by NightFright »

But is this something that has always been like that or was it changed with one of Nash's edits?
Last edited by NightFright on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dklark

Post by Dklark »

Not too sure about the specifics on how or when, I've just loaded each up and compared the two and Nevander's is definitely smoother to my eyes. Could it be the offsets? Only gave a cursory scan of a few pages in the thread so correct me if i'm wrong here. I've only done some minor sprite editing/cleaning so my technical knowledge is limited; I have no clue if the alignment is even based on the sprite offset anymore in this case.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Please check if this version makes the super shotgun feel any smoother. Also see if shooting rate is still OK.

PerK Test version (Easyupload.io, 768 KB)

The only change I did was to change frame sequence BCD 4 to BCD 3, so instead of 12 tics it takes 9. A comparison of the frames themselves between Nevander's release and ours revealed they are absolutely identical, so this is just a matter of frame definition.
Last edited by NightFright on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

It looks a bit better
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

The version we have right now in the mod lasts like 66 tics during fire state. Nash's is around 50 and vanilla about 62. So the current one is definitely slowly animated. I need to see how it can be timed so that firing rate doesn't change. It's not easy. I will work on it more and see where more tics can be saved.
Last edited by NightFright on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Feel free to commit the changes where you see fit, NightFright - I am very short on free time for the time being.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

So how about this second version here? It has the exact amount of tics as the vanilla SSG, but tics distribution is more balanced now, hoping to achieve more fluid motions. It should be even closer to Nevander's version, however I am still doing a few things slightly differently to reach the same amount of tics as in vanilla.

PerK Test #2 (Easyupload, 768 KB)

If you guys are happy with this version, I can update Github and do a new release by the end of the week at the latest.
Dklark

Post by Dklark »

Huge improvement, looks great now. Nice work.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 3.2 released

Post by NightFright »

Excellent! Then here is the new version, guys. With this, hopefully all pending issues are addressed and everything can be enjoyed without restrictions. I also took the opportunity for some menu tuning. Should look more sorted and organized now, plus it's easier if all settings default to "No" and "Left" to check whether you are using vanilla-friendly settings. As a bonus, I added fistless berserk mode (not switching to fists when picking up berserk powerup) which was already available a while ago in the Responsive Weapons mod. Now you can choose whether you want it or not (it's off by default). It's rather a powerup mod, but still a cool thing to have.

Important things to note:
- Mod menu has been relocated from root to Player Setup > Smooth Weapons Enhanced
- CVARs for fist/pistol handedness (now "false"/"no"="left" and "true"/"yes"="right", not vice versa) and gloved fists (formerly "gloveless fists") have been flipped, so you may want to check your settings
- CVAR "zperk_glovelessfist" has been replaced by "zperk_glovedfist"and can be deleted from your GZDoom ini (if you have been using a previous mod version)

Preview of the new menu:

CHANGELOG v3.2 (Jan 23, 2020)
- Mod menu relocated to: Player Setup > Smooth Weapons Enhanced
- Added option for fistless berserk mode
- Improved SSG animations (closer to Nevander's 2017 release)
- Changed all CVARs to "No"/"Left" by default (for vanilla visuals)
- Updated doom1.zc with GZD 4.3.0 code (A_PlaySound replaced by A_StartSound)
Nash

Re: Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2]

Post by Nash »

Note to self (will fix later) - plasma rifle's A_Light call is broken edit: fixed on 17/02/2020

EDIT: and a suggestion - brightmaps for all the new sprites
Last edited by Nash on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

So this request is a long shot and I don't expect it to happen anytime soon (or even ever), but an option for the skulltag extra weapons or Doom's box art smg would be cool
PandaDoomer

Post by PandaDoomer »

Something tells me this isn't supposed to look like this :P
Attachments
oops.png
Nash

Post by Nash »

What exactly am I supposed to be looking for? Do you mean that transparent square hole?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”