D2toD1 [simple spawner experiment]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyanosis

D2toD1 [simple spawner experiment]

Post by Cyanosis »

Fix #1: BossEye now spawns only D1 actors.
Fix #2: Fatso and Arachnotron specific replacements (called BDBaronOfHell and BDCacodemon) now execute tag 666. BD = BossDeath.
Final Fix: Infighting between Barons due to a Species mislabeling has been remedied. Nothing should be wrong now, except the Baron spam when playing Plutonia.

A very small (0.99kb) file for Doom II that answers one of my questions; what if Doom II had only new levels, textures, music and a few decor props, but kept the same weapons and monsters? This is the potentially awesome yet somewhat awkward result.

Someone may've already done something like this before, but for those who either don't have the patience to learn the relatively simple spawner or read the ZDoom wiki for reference, I'll upload it for others' convenience.

Instructions on how to use: A simple drag-n-drop of the PK3 on G/ZDoom and there you go.

So what does it do to "D1inize" D2? The following modifications:

Chaingun Guy = Shotgun Guy
Hell Knight = Cacodemon (more on this in a minute)
Arachnotron = Cacodemon (see above)
Pain Elemental = Cacodemon
Revenant = Baron of Hell
Mancubus = Baron of Hell
Archvile = Baron of Hell
Super Shotgun = Shotgun
Megasphere = Soulsphere

A couple translations were easy enough, such as Chaingun Guy to Shotgun Guy and Pain Elemental to Caco, but since D2's new monsters have especially varied roles in how they dictate fights, it was obviously difficult to work with D1's limited bestiary to figure out suitable replacements. So the end result is essentially Doom with more Caco and Baron spam, but after playing half of Doom II last night with it I was surprised to find out that it actually plays a lot better than it sounds. At least for those that really like D1. Feel free to try it out with your favorite D2 maps.

The Knight was originally going to be the Baron, but I figured it's a pretty meaty replacement for an otherwise weaker variant of the same monster and could prove to be problematic in some map cases (like the brutal close quarters sections in the early maps of Hell Revealed II). The Revenant was to be a Caco and this primarily would pose a problem with its placement in an alcove or used as a sniper which is a common role for it in hard maps. A mere swap between the two replacements seemed to yield the best results. As a potentially challenging side effect, this means any HK or Arachno placement becomes a potential flying monster free to roam the level and maybe sneak up on you. The con with the Knight replacement means the Caco can get stuck if its in a tight place, but it's forgivable, as it would've been worse with the Revenant otherwise.

Unfortunately the Arachno and Fatso replacements would obviously break D2's MAP07, but unless you're not willing to participate in the suspension of disbelief, just summon Arachnotron and Fatso in the console then kill them (through the console) to activate their required scripts where applicable and then carry on as usual (unless you insist on noclipping). This is likely the only real con of the mod. Otherwise, those who wanted to see what a D1 slaughtermap would be like or just want to play their favorite D2 megawads D1 style then I think someone might enjoy this.
D2toD1.pk3
(1015 Bytes) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by Cyanosis on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
DBThanatos

Re: D2toD1 [simple spawner experiment]

Post by DBThanatos »

Cyanosis wrote: Unfortunately the Arachno and Fatso replacements would obviously break D2's MAP07, but unless you're not willing to participate in the suspension of disbelief, just summon Arachnotron and Fatso in the console then kill them (through the console) to activate their required scripts where applicable and then carry on as usual (unless you insist on noclipping). This is likely the only real con of the mod. Otherwise, those who wanted to see what a D1 slaughtermap would be like or just want to play their favorite D2 megawads D1 style then I think someone might enjoy this.
This should do the trick if you're willing to add "new" monsters to the code.

Code: Select all

Actor ASDCacodemon : Cacodemon replaces Fatso
{
	+BOSSDEATH	//in case the monster gets frozen
	States
	{
	Death:
		HEAD G 8
		HEAD H 8 A_Scream
		HEAD IJ 8
		HEAD K 8 A_NoBlocking
		TNT1 A 0 A_BossDeath
		HEAD L -1 A_SetFloorClip
		stop
	}
}
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

I've made a derpy mistake of not replacing the BossEye and was baffled by the D2 monsters spawning in on MAP30, so I've fixed it.

Unfortunately I don't know how to get the Baron and Cacos to lower the walls and raise the platform in MAP07, even with new inherited actors using +BOSSDEATH and A_BossDeath in their code. I know custom monsters can execute tag 666, but it just doesn't seem to be cooperating.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

They have to inhereit from Mancubi and Arachnotrons to work.

You'd have to make sure to use the Species tag instead of relying on inheritence, but it shouldn't have any problems otherwise.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Took a moment to figure out what I was doing wrong again but I got it to work finally, so there you have it.
Legend

Post by Legend »

I'd actually kinda like to see something like this in the other direction. To play through Ultimate Doom with Doom 2 enemies and SSG spawning on the levels.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Cyanosis wrote:Unfortunately I don't know how to get the Baron and Cacos to lower the walls and raise the platform in MAP07, even with new inherited actors using +BOSSDEATH and A_BossDeath in their code.
If you make direct replacement or if make an indirect replacement through a RandomSpawner, it should directly work, as the engine knows what to do when it finds the "replaces" keyword.

If you make replacement through the doomednum rather than the "replaces" keyword, though, it won't work. Though you could still use [wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki] to change the special action.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Legend wrote:I'd actually kinda like to see something like this in the other direction. To play through Ultimate Doom with Doom 2 enemies and SSG spawning on the levels.
You may (or may not be) in luck as that was my other experiment I did recently called D1toD2 and it does just as you said. But I can't up it here for "legal" reasons (sprites/sounds extracted from the Doom II IWAD).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You could probably get away with loading DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD and then maybe you'd need to load DOOM.WAD on top again.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

When playing through Plutonia (goddamn I hate Barons now) I noticed on MAP26 in an area with originally Fatsos and Revenants that the Barons were starting shit with each other to my horror, so I went to check it out and whatever went awry before should not happen again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”