DoomStorm (v0.92 March 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Re: [WIP] DoomStorm

Post by amv2k9 »

That bit with the enemies going up into the air with some electric-looking stuff coming out... was that the weapons doing that, or the kick you mentioned?
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

That's one of Bulletstorm's mechanics - kicking or leashing an enemy into the air causes them to float around for a few seconds so you could work on Skillshoting them. Of course this being Doom, I guess it's just there for looks.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Huh, weird -- I haven't commented on this yet. O_O

Looks cool, I have to say. I enjoyed Bulletstorm and its arsenal (despite the game's flaws), so definitely looking forward to this one.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

.+:icytux:+. wrote: I'm guessing they just abuse the alpha channel and is bright. But not actually additive(because that hasn't worked out for me)? It does almost look as if it was though :P
Precisely. Except that after I realized how additive translucency worked (black = invisible) I used the GIMP function "color to alpha" and selected black. The result? Something very similar to what the additive translucency looks like. That plus making the frame bright, gives that impression.

@Sayachan: I gotta say that image is quite a compliment in my eyes. Thanks :D

@darkhaven3: Sure thing. I'd gladly assist whichever way I could about that if it ever happens.

@Rex: Actually it took 3 shots. But during the testing I found it to be perfectly balanced. Not the three shots, but it's random damage. Sometimes it takes just one, some times takes 2, and I've only seen it take 3 shots once (this video; actually, you can see me hesitating because after the 2nd shot, I was sure it was dead already). Two shots sounds like a lot, but as a matter of fact, with the accuracy that weapon has, and it's potential rate of fire, it works wonders, and ammo isnt scarce at all.

@amv2k9: Is the kick. As Steve1664 mentioned, is a mechanic found in the original game. Here, since there are no skillshots, it's role is more just to push monsters away. During my testing, I found it great to open some space when you're reloading. And if it's too crowded (where the kicked monster doesnt move from the spot) at least it gets stunned, giving you some time to take advantage of.

@Xaser: Yeah, that's the thing I loved about the game. The weapons. I found them to be extremely fun, and I hated that I could only carry two weapons + carbine. I wanted to do some crazy massacre all around... then I though "if I could port all this into doom...". And here we are :P
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

I hope skillshots get added in though. IMO, that was part of the allure of Bulletstorm, and it wouldn't even all have to be done in ACS either; stuff like explosive barrel deaths could be custom death states where it spawns a graphic noting the skillshot type, and then gives the player points.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

amv2k9 wrote:I hope skillshots get added in though. IMO, that was part of the allure of Bulletstorm, and it wouldn't even all have to be done in ACS either; stuff like explosive barrel deaths could be custom death states where it spawns a graphic noting the skillshot type, and then gives the player points.
This is certainly possible, and part of the plan I had in mind was to implement custom death states based on damagetypes and certain other monster states which then report their overall state number as a bitfield back to ACS

So for example, the bitfield might only address an 8-bit field as follows: Monster was... In air, on fire, leashed, etc... And then that state is passed to a script, as an int, which then checks the bitfield for how exactly that monster died against an array containing skillshot names and score totals
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

I never did try Bulletstorm on the PC, but this looks really cool. Can't wait. :)
DBThanatos

Re: [WIP] DoomStorm (New trailer p.1)

Post by DBThanatos »

First post updated with a new trailer.

And... anyone feeling fancy as in to donate a new HUD? Nothing specific, just to give more options than what you see in that video.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

It just seems to get better and better.

And... did I see it correctly? Slide kick? :o
And would this get powerful when going on slopes? Or is it even possible? :P
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

This is looking nice. I'll have to find something to do to kill some time while I'm waiting for this.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

@CorSair: Hmm... No. Is not an slide kick. For technical reasons, I couldnt succesfully implement that. So, instead, we have the "tackle", which basically is the same thing, except that it doesnt "crouch" the player. But still, move fast with little control of the direction, hit a monster and stun it.

And no. The mod (like pretty much all of my gameplay mods) is meant for vanilla mapsets, which immediately excludes any use of modern port features. So, no special treatment for slopes.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

DBThanatos wrote:And no. The mod (like pretty much all of my gameplay mods) is meant for vanilla mapsets, which immediately excludes any use of modern port features. So, no special treatment for slopes.
Damn. Tried anyway. =P
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, if it ever gets turned into a full mod (maps and all) then that might happen :P
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

A little gameplay display with all the weapons.

Now, I was wondering, if this mod were to have maps, what do you think I'd be better. Some type of arena maps where monsters spawn and you go killing them in whatever way you feel comfortable until a certain limit is reached? Or instead, a more Doomish type of maps, where you go from point A to point B to find the exit switch, with monsters preplaced in the map? Not that this is actually going to happen anytime soon (or maybe at all), but Im just curious.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

I would probably go for arena slaughter, to vent off some stress off. And most weapons are just meant for this. Even PMC can even things out fast.

And for point to another maps are okay, as long as the shooting galleries are not unfair, annoying or trivial. But former feels more comfy, so...

On video, though, Bouncer secondary shots should be kickable.
Also, what ye think about trying some Bouncerfootball with cybie? :lol:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”