Hexen: The Adept v1.1 Released! (1/27/12)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Hexen: The Adept v1.1 Released! (1/27/12)

Post by amv2k9 »

What is The Adept?
A WIP weapons mini-mod for Hexen. It adds a new class; the Adept, a wizard that can use any Fighter, Cleric or Mage weapon.

However, each weapon is rated by its encumberance, both physical and mental. The heavy Hammer of Retribution encumbers you more than Timon's Axe, and the Bloodscourge is more taxing on you than the Frost Shards. To take on a new weapon, you may have to drop one you're presently carrying.

Notes:
Make sure you bind a key to The Adept's new "Drop Weapon" function (check the bottom of the Customize Controls menu, by default it is bound to "f"). G/ZDoom's regular "Drop Weapon" key will make things go screwy, as encumberance will not be removed when you drop a weapon.

Credits:
Pickup sprites for the Sapphire Wand and Fighter's Gauntlets are edits of Heretic sprites

No screenshots, as they wouldn't look any different from vanilla Hexen. But you do get the download!
Attachments
adept-v11.zip
The Adept, Version 1.1
(31.28 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Last edited by amv2k9 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Re: Hexen: The Adept v1 (1/25/12)

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Gave it a try on the first hub of Deathkings, and it's about as I expected, an interesting novelty but basically lets you do cheap do-it-all builds, e.g mine:

Sapphire Wand - For unlimited range attack that won't bounce back
Timon's Axe - Dominate in melee
Serpent Staff - Mainly for the health draining, but a pretty good fast ranged attack too
Arc of Death - Punch through shields

I could still pick up more weapons after that, but I'm not sure I'd even need more than those (Firestorm/Hammer of Retribution would add a splash damage option, it let me have Firestorm but I didn't check the Hammer. It even let me have Wraithverge which I probably would've kept just for the overkill, but see below.) The lousy armor values don't seem enough to balance it. Encumberance values should probably be higher.

Bugs/Issues
- I got Wraithverge, but after moving to another level it disappeared. I did not drop it, and it did not show up in my arsenal even using the "cycle through weapons" button.
- The textfile says it won't work with anything except a full version of Heretic.
amv2k9

Re: Hexen: The Adept v1 (1/25/12)

Post by amv2k9 »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:Gave it a try on the first hub of Deathkings, and it's about as I expected, an interesting novelty but basically lets you do cheap do-it-all builds...I could still pick up more weapons after that, but I'm not sure I'd even need more than those (Firestorm/Hammer of Retribution would add a splash damage option, it let me have Firestorm but I didn't check the Hammer. It even let me have Wraithverge which I probably would've kept just for the overkill, but see below.) The lousy armor values don't seem enough to balance it. Encumberance values should probably be higher.
As it stands, your Encumberance maxes at eight, and the weapons are balanced so that of you want to have all Mage weapons, or all Ceric weapons, you can do that. What I might do is put in some checks that add more encumberance if you try to match "too powerful" weapons with each other.
- I got Wraithverge, but after moving to another level it disappeared. I did not drop it, and it did not show up in my arsenal even using the "cycle through weapons" button.
Well. That's odd. I'll look into that.
amv2k9

Re: Hexen: The Adept v1.1 Released! (1/27/12)

Post by amv2k9 »

Version 1.1 of The Adept is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V1.1 Changelog:
-Class selection is now unavailable. Allowing the vanilla classes to be selectable was preventing me from doing the following:

-The weapon piece system has been rebuilt from the ground up, which fixes a number of things: The Bloodscourge, Wraithverge and Quietus now encumber you as they should, and you're actually getting the correct weapon now, which means you don't "lose" it when changing hubs, and its selectable after being deselected.

-Weapon pieces now appear in your inventory and can be dropped by selecting then and pressing the "Use Inventory" key. Once you complete a weapon, its pieces will be automatically removed.

-Dropping weapons caused encumberance to be removed incorrectly; it was relieving you of more weight than the weapon gave you in the first place. This has been fixed.

-The player cannot pick up and carry more than one "built" weapon (i.e. Quietus, Wraithverge and Bloodscourge), even if their encumberance is low enough.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”