[v1.0.0] NecroDoom - Ye olde mech-suit mod.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [v4] NecroDoom - Now with Raven+Strife!

Post by Xaser »

twinkieman93 wrote:...I didn't say to make the player move slower
I wasn't meaning to imply that you did. I was referring Arch's post above.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

This looks sexy as phuck! Gotta try this.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

After playing Dustrider I began to wonder if we could have some of that risk/reward system in place for the Necrosuit: running around attacking enemies with the personal gun letting us fix the Necrosuit up, possibly...?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm... allowing you to repair the suit (read: heal up) by stepping out and blasting some baddies, if I'm understanding correctly? That's not a bad idea, really. Right now there's really not much incentive to leave the suit aside from "you're about to die, son."
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Yes, that's the exact mechanic the game I cited uses for its mech healing system. It made me think of Blaster Master but having a risk/reward setup for leaving the vehicle instead of hiding the boss of a level behind a genre shift.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I'd be down for a repair tool that gets charged when damaging monsters, then you have to turn around and use it on your suit, meaning it's not an instant thing, and you need time and a safe place to patch your suit up.
Xaser

Re: [v1.0.0 RC1] NecroDoom - Almost /idgames'd!

Post by Xaser »

Holy bump, [GENERIC SUPERHERO REFERENCE]!

So, this mod has been kinda stagnant for a while, yet it's so close to completion that I recently decided to buckle down, toss out all the half-finished crap (unfinished Skulltag weapons), spit-shine the rest, and slap a Release Candidate label on this guy, so...

Here it is! Necrodoom v1.0.0 RC1 -- if nothing seems completely un-kosher, then this guy is going to (finally!) get uploaded to /idgames and marked with the 'Done' stamp.

There's still some cool potential ideas (repair gun, anyone?) floating around, and Strife support is probably still buggy as fark, but at this point it's best to go ahead and get the mod out the door, after 5 and a half friggin' years since the original release. :P

Give this guy one more shot, and let me know if anything seems buggy. "Last call", kinda-ish.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

A mech mod? HELL YEAH!

I've enjoyed Mechatron a lot, so I'm really happy to see more mech related content being created. Downloading now.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Funny this pops up because I played through Enjay's Waterlab GZD last night with the previous version of NecroDoom. :P

Definitely gonna give this updated bad boy a spin though. Nice to see it's almost ready to be idgames'd. :D
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Just as a fair warning, unless you're playing Hexen or Strife, you probably won't notice any changes at all. At least, that's my hope. ;)

Glad folks are still interested in the mod, at any rate! It's a bit on the old side nowadays.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

The HUD seems to cooperate better with not-4:3 resolutions so that's great. I'll definitely try it with Hexen though, I'd never tried that before so it won't be much of a comparison but eh.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

My old criticisms of early weapons remain roughly the same- I'd love to see the rocket launcher weapon replaced with a short range flame thrower, just something that can't hurt the player using it. The heavy cannon/minigun balance will always feel weird, that's just how mods like these go, but to have such an early weapon that damages the player feels really counterintuitive. Something for a personal rebalancing thing, if I ever get around to it.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

I'm glad to see this is being updated. This has always been one of my favorite gameplay mods!
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Xaser wrote:Just as a fair warning, unless you're playing Hexen or Strife, you probably won't notice any changes at all. At least, that's my hope. ;)
Spoiler:
Guess I'm gonna have to cancel my playthrough of Doom 2 with NecroDoom to play through Hexen with it instead. :P I did notice one change during my playthrough of Doom 2 and I just have to say that said change is a welcome one. c:
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

The only difference I've noticed from playing in Doom, aside from the ammo changes and having carry-able medkits, is a "new" weapon and a bunch of inventory items that may or may not have been in the mod already, I don't know since I've never played it with Hexen before. It's a very welcome weapon, though, and I thoroughly enjoy stomping through the game in the Necrosuit! :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”