[UPDATED 10/03/2012] RSL's Polaris, X-Marines

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rsl

Re: [UPDATED 10/03/2012] RSL's Polaris, X-Marines

Post by rsl »

wildweasel wrote:I still think it's the gameplay that should be drawing people to these mods, since (especially Polaris) it's actually pretty creative for a weapon replacement mod.
Thank you! :D
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Well I must say, Polaris is easily your best release I've played. It's a really neat gameplay mod, the weapons actually feel dangerous (think Brutal Doom) to not only others but yourself as well. An emphasis that isn't naturally utilized due to Doom's nature in general, but like the former mentioned it works especially well with the whole cryophobia thing you got going on. It instills a sense of responsibility in handling such dangerous weapons, keeping your resources managed. As the weapons are very deadly to others, they can turn on you if you are careless. It's well balanced, though I think the Stake Gun is really weak (quick fix in SLADE resolved that) and the quad shotgun's kinda slow to reload (I sped it up a little bit) everything else is pretty much perfect. I'll definitely be keeping this one. Great work!
rsl

Post by rsl »

Thank you, Cyanosis! :D Also, the point you have made about the general feel of the weapons is really interesting. This is something I didn't think about myself - probably not directly, since the kind of gritty/harsh atmosphere I was trying to go for might somehow confirm the impressions you had on the arsenal. This also reminds me of "Hideous Destructor" by Vaecrius: the added realism and steep difficulty countermeasures he's taken make the game very different from its usual form, but - as the author himself put it - each kill is so much more rewarding... :twisted:
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

That's why I like playing tough wads like Don's Challenge. It's too often that wads throw in lots of overpowered equipment that can make the game dull.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

Getting a stake gun error when trying to run it with GzDoom.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Dan50 wrote:Getting a stake gun error when trying to run it with GzDoom.
What is the error? Bear in mind that your GZDoom might not be up to date.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

So download another version of GzDoom?
rsl

Post by rsl »

Hello!

Sorry for the "late" reply... Just back from a short vacation period. :wink:

Hmm... as WildWeasel already suggested, the only useful thing I might do would be to (redundantly) provide a direct link to the GZDOOM SVN builds page, kindly hosted by DRDTeam:

http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

This is a page where you can find downloadable versions of GZDOOM that include features and fixes beyond the latest official version (that is 1.5.6, quite old by now, eh :lol:).
As you can see from the textfile accompanying Polaris, you need an "unofficial" GZDOOM build whose release number should be equal to or above r1250. By the time of this very post, the newest build provided is r1415, so you should be perfectly fine trying that one or any other that comes up in the meantime.

So, I hope you have fun with the mod! And don't forget to freely post your impressions and suggestions if you like! :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I just submitted the /newstuff review for this mod, by the way, since it had been languishing in there since December.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

Gave it a spin its pretty fun. :D
rsl

Post by rsl »

wildweasel wrote:I just submitted the /newstuff review for this mod, by the way, since it had been languishing in there since December.
Thank you! I was hoping for a review, I'm glad you decided to do it. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”