Heretic: Legions

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Heretic: Legions

Post by amv2k9 »

What is Legions?
Heretic: Legions is a monster randomizer for Heretic that uses no new graphics. Keep in mind, this doesn't work with Order & Chaos as of now, but I may make make a version that combines the two if there's enough interest. Legions will also be featured in WildWeasel's Heretic StyleMod, so I want to get this out in order to see what should be changed to make this monster set as good as possible.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Download Below!
Attachments
legions-v1.zip
Legions, Version 1
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
Last edited by amv2k9 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArchXeno

Re: Heretic: Legions

Post by ArchXeno »

This should make Heretic a bit more interesting, Downloading now
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You've been busy.

These little "mutator" style mods are fun and a testament to the ingenuity of the authors.
Asurmen

Post by Asurmen »

Hmm I know it must look like necromancy but ... after looking for an Heretic randomizer for quite some time, I ended up finding this little jewel. So I exhume it! I don't know if you're still around amv2k9, but I really love your vision of a randomizer: it adds gameplay, variety and above all, it does not distort the game or the atmosphere in any way. Thank you!
In truth, I loved playing with it so much that it made me want to do a playthrough on Youtube (with other mods). So I take the opportunity to make my ad :) (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6ksJ7ydqnp)
By the way, and for now, it works flawlessly, even if it is very, very old.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

I started playing this and for its age (A decade old), it's really good. It's like a precursor to colorful hell for Heretic.
Asurmen

Post by Asurmen »

That's it. I was disappointed (although I understand perfectly) that colorful hell is not extended for Heretic.
On the other hand I just encountered my first problem with Legions, unfortunately: in the E1M8 map, the last area does not open after killing the 3 iron liches. I tested without Legions but with all my other mods to check out, and it seems Legions is guilty there. I hope I will not go through other problems of this kind later on but, at the moment, it's not serious enough for me to stop using it.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Asurmen wrote:That's it. I was disappointed (although I understand perfectly) that colorful hell is not extended for Heretic.
On the other hand I just encountered my first problem with Legions, unfortunately: in the E1M8 map, the last area does not open after killing the 3 iron liches. I tested without Legions but with all my other mods to check out, and it seems Legions is guilty there. I hope I will not go through other problems of this kind later on but, at the moment, it's not serious enough for me to stop using it.
Thats a boss flag problem, aka any monster that doesn't have a boss flag can't trigger those needed triggers. Works the same way as on Map 07 Dead Simple on Doom 2.
Asurmen

Post by Asurmen »

I see. Thanks for the tip ! Tried to add myself this boss flag to the iron liches, but doesn't works so far. As I'm no modder, I guess I did something wrong though :D (added +BOSS to the monster stats block, next to the other flags)
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Hello there! 8-)

Seems that the main problem is in the additional actor class that sometimes replaces the Iron Lich (the Vampire, to be precise) which was inheriting most of the standard Wizard properties, but was missing the +BOSSDEATH flag and the A_BossDeath decorate function to trigger the cave gate opening in E1M8. (Same goes to E4M8 in SOTSR expanded version).

I have made for you a patched version of the mod that fixes this annoying issue, hope it works now as expected. (And also I hope Amv2k9 don't mind to have made myself this small update, all credits keep going entirely to him...) :wink:

Cheers and enjoy! :thumb:

(Attachment file deleted, use v1.1a instead)
Last edited by Hexereticdoom on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asurmen

Post by Asurmen »

Hey thank you !
Unfortunately, I fear that it doesn't work for now :(
I tried several things and I now think the problem lies directly in the randomizer block itself. I tried with the ironlich replacement alone, without the randomizer, and same with the vampire alone, and both works as intended : I kill the ironliches / vampires and the passage opens. But as soon as the randomizer is involved, it stops working. (hope that's clear enough, english is not my native language :D )
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Mmm, I see... :|

In that case, I think the only thing that is somehow screwing it all must be the +ISMONSTER flag attached to each and every monster randomspawner. I don't know actually why these flags were included, but for sure they are NOT necessary at all. (At least, none of my Doom and Heretic mods has that flag in any randomspawner class, and they work always as intended).

Please try again with this hotfix, I have removed all +ISMONSTER flags from all monster randomspawners, now it should work without any more problems...
Attachments
Legions-v1.1a.pk3
(15.22 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Asurmen

Post by Asurmen »

You're the best ! Works perfectly fine :) I think that thanks are in order then !

Return to “Gameplay Mods”