[Hexen] The Ranger - 12/15/2011 Video + /idgames link!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Re: [Hexen] The Ranger - 12/15/2011 Video + /idgames link!

Post by amv2k9 »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it.

And aaahhh, I'm sorry to hear about that. I had a lot of problems with that map, so I tried to buff the Claws and Caltrops to accommodate it.
On the fourth/Dungeoneer difficulty the Power combo usually takes out an Ettin clean, and the Caltrops are supposed to help to continue dealing damage while reloading...but it's possible that I didn't quite make it as useful as I thought.
If you're still having trouble, please let me know, I'll see if I can do something else.
Yeah, I really don't use the Caltrops as often as I should. I tend to "forget" about the artifacts & stuff in Heretic & Hexen :lol:
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Yeah, it's pretty easy to forget about that stuff, especially with how gimmicky some of them are. The Dark Servant is the worst--especially with how he can damage YOU!

That being said, don't forget the Caltrops! They're really useful for an extra source of damage, even if you don't use them to set up traps!
Try going through a small area just using the Caltrops, and you'll see what I mean.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Speaking of the Flechettes... I noticed that the player can still pick them up even when you've hit the max amount. That's really easy to fix; I dunno how you have the actor set up but you can add something into the Pickup state like this:

Code: Select all

Pickup:
 TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("Flechette",25,"PickupFail")
 TNT1 A 0
 Stop
PickupFail:
 TNT1 A 0
 Fail
This might be different if you have, say a "giver" actor that gives the player the actual flechette.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Hmmmm. A quick check and double-check, and you're right.
Both the Icon of the Defender and the Flechettes do this, thanks to the giver actors so as to give the other classes their respective Icon/Flechettes. The actual Flechette/Icon itself won't be given, but you can still pick up the giver.

Damn, I wish this wasn't already released. Thank you very much for the code, I didn't know you could use Fail on pickups, I'll definitely have to keep it in mind for the next time.
marble

Post by marble »

How about turning the iron seathe into a single action revolver? would make more sense, currently the magazine placement isn't entirely realistic (yes, yes, hexen, fantasy world, magic and all that, i know, but still)

anyways, downloading now, looks pretty awesome from screenshots and videos.

EDIT: played it, extremely fun to use weapons, i really haven't got anything bad to say about this, throughoutly enjoyable experience, really.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Thank you, I'm happy you like it.

As for the Ironsheath, well. It's based off a wheellock pistol with a rifle-esque tube magazine, more than a revolver. I wanted to go with something very archaic in appearance to fit the fantasy-medieval feel of the world, and I think revolver drums were somewhat more modern--the oldest type of revolvers I'm aware of are the pepperbox guns from the 1500s, and they look kind of silly.
Though now you have me wondering if there's such thing as revolver-drum wheellocks/flintlocks. The idea is pretty interesting...I'll have to do some research, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: I'll be damned, there is! The 1800s is kind of late in tech, though, but it looks really cool.
marble

Post by marble »

well, that look pretty cool!
you only would have to slightly modify the graphics, since the gun functions very similarly.
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

So, I'm playing around with this in the interest of reviewing it for Newstuff, but I can't load the Ironsheath. Secondary fire / reload works fine for every other weapon, but the Ironsheath, nada. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: Whoops, I guess loading just the zip messes things up. In retrospect, the two ranger classes should have been a red flag. This is pretty fun!
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Thank you. I'm eagerly looking forward to the review.

And yeah, if you load the .zip, the ZD and Skulltag version of the wads collide in all the worst ways and result in some very interesting glitches.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”