[Hexen] The Ranger - 12/15/2011 Video + /idgames link!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: [Hexen WIP] The Ranger

Post by Gez »

printz wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:When crafting the Godcannon, an arrogant engineer made her goal very clear--a siege weapon that could tear down even the gates of the afterlife and make even the gods cry for mercy.
So the ultimate weapon of holy destruction was invented by a woman. Hah :D
I'll bet she had been scorned. It's a well known fact that nothing motivates them more; at least when it comes to wrecking shit up.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Gez wrote:I'll bet she had been scorned. It's a well known fact that nothing motivates them more; at least when it comes to wrecking shit up.
"Hell hath no fury" and all that? =P

I'd love to see more of this - I've tried numerous times to introduce guns to Hexen, none of my attempts worked, but it seems like you're really making it happen, so I greatly look forward to this.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Progress Update:
Conceptual: 100%
Class Coding: 95%
Weapon Coding: 95%
Graphics: 30%
Sound Effects: 100%

Original Flechette behavior has been determined, sound'd, programmed, and put in. Info about the Flechette has been put in the Detailed Information section in the original post. Now all of the Ranger's weapons are just about complete, code-wise. All that's left is to put in the graphics and adjust the code to fit the new animations.
Several irritating bugs have been fixed, and graphical progress is very, very slow but very, very steady. The base sprites for two of the weapons are complete and waiting to be turned into animations, the Flechette is entirely done, and about a third of the skin is drawn and waiting to be shaded. I apologize for the lack of speed; I am not a very good artist at all, but I'll try my best.

Here's a couple more screenshots.
Spoiler:
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

CROOOTCH SHOT!!!!
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Uh. Hey.
I'll be frank. And I'll also update the first post.
I have only one beta tester, since all but one of my friends are not interested in Doom. I would really like feedback on this, so I just have to swallow down the "OH GOD IT'S NOT READY THEY'LL ALL HATE ME" fears and put it out to you guys for input. If you would consider downloading this, checking it out, and offer input, I would DEEPLY appreciate it.
Please be gentle, this is my first time.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.multiupload.com/RKPBMZOHYW - (File size is about 3.71 megs)

KNOWN BUGS:
Spoiler:
CREDITS:
Spoiler:
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel

Re: [Hexen WIP] The Ranger - 8/7/2011 ALPHA RELEASED

Post by wildweasel »

I should not be credited for the ricochet effects (those are Caligari's) or the Ironsheath graphic (that is Marty Kirra's based on a Redneck Rampage sprite).

[edit] The knee strike in the claws' combo detaches from the bottom of the screen in fullscreen mode.
[edit2] The whole thing seems unoptimized for fullscreen play; the Ironsheath does not display an ammo counter at all in fullscreen.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

I should not be credited for the ricochet effects (those are Caligari's) or the Ironsheath graphic (that is Marty Kirra's based on a Redneck Rampage sprite).
Noted and fixed. Thank you, and I'm sorry for the mixup.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I don't have the patience to actually play through Hexen, but even incomplete the last weapon seems lacking. It doesn't seem to have enough bang, considering it completely obliterates your mobility. And while it killed Korax really fast, it didn't mow down the Ettins or the Centaurs and I'm sure I would have run out of ammo before the groups died.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Perhaps the final weapon needs +FOILINVUL so that it can damage the Centaurs when they're blocking.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

The whole thing seems unoptimized for fullscreen play; the Ironsheath does not display an ammo counter at all in fullscreen.
None of the weapons do, upon checking. I'm pretty sure this is Hexen's fault, but it's still kind of a Bad Thing. Any idea how I could go about fixing this?
I don't have the patience to actually play through Hexen, but even incomplete the last weapon seems lacking. It doesn't seem to have enough bang, considering it completely obliterates your mobility. And while it killed Korax really fast, it didn't mow down the Ettins or the Centaurs and I'm sure I would have run out of ammo before the groups died.
Upon running some tests, the Godcannon needs about an average of eight shots to take down an Ettin. Yeah, that's kind of a lot, especially considering the other weapons (the Scrapbox takes an average of 3, the Ironsheath takes an average of 4). Considering its rapid-fire and technically-infinite ammo, I think that would mandate less damage-per-shot than the others, so as not to blow them entirely out of the water--but I guess the main question is, how little is too little?
Perhaps the final weapon needs +FOILINVUL so that it can damage the Centaurs when they're blocking.
That makes sense. Though it would make the Claws completely useless upon acquiring it, but who uses the melee weapon later in the game? Besides, something like the Godcannon probably SHOULD be infinitely more useful than Claws.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Well, keep in mind that it /completely/ removes any mobility you have while using it. It's a freakin' mounted machine gun, infinite ammo or no, it should be able to mow down basic infantry with ease. :P
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

So, a quick bit of experimenting reveals that the fault with ammo not showing up in fullscreen really lies with Hexen. If you use a custom ammo source for a weapon, it refuses to show up on the fullscreen HUD--along with the ammo it DOES recognize, leaving a pretty-much-blank screen aside from your health and Inv bar.

Assumedly, the easiest way (for a certain variation of the term "easiest") to fix this would be to add in an SBARINFO for the fullscreen that adds an ammo count, but attempts with that have rendered the non-fullscreen HUD empty. Attempts to copy-and-paste the existing Hexen SBARINFO into this (in addition to custom info for the lifebar/weapon slots/etc of the Ranger) works mostly fine and dandy in ZDoom but incessantly crashes Skulltag (my main engine of choice)--and only "mostly" in ZDoom because it gets rid of the Mana bars for the normal Cleric/Fighter/Mage weapons.
This is going to be painful. Is there any sort of introductory guide to it or anything?

In the meantime, I upgraded the Godcannon's damage (along with some other changes). Does this seem to be better?
http://www.multiupload.com/C94XJRIVCV
Spoiler: Chachachachanges
TerminusEst13

Re: [Hexen WIP] The Ranger - 9/17/2011 BETA RELEASED

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Well, that took far longer than it should have. Roughly a month of struggling with SBarInfo, which I eventually gave up on (I apologize to everyone who wants to play this without the status bar), and Skulltag eventually refusing to play anything Hexen related.
For the very few of those interested in this, I apologize deeply for the delay.

http://www.multiupload.com/U7YXYGGS5T - The download.

You will notice two files in there. There's an interesting story behind that.
While working on the pick-up system for the pieces of the Godcannon, I found that Skulltag doesn't support A_Log. For the most part, I'm a flexible man and there's not a lot in the whole ZDoom/Skulltag functionality that really bothers me. Unfortunately, the difference between A_Log and A_Print for pick-ups is placed firmly outside my comfort zone.
The ZD version is code-wise exactly the same, but with A_Print replaced with A_Log. For those who are just as anal about little things as I am and don't want the Godcannon pickups to give you text in the center of the screen but rather in the corner, please use the ZD version.
Why this has made me so anal and not other things is beyond me.

CHANGELOG:
1: Finished more player sprites. About half the skin is done now, and now there are sprites for jumping and standing still. For single-player, all of the relevant sprites are complete, and people can play through single-player without any immersion-jarring graphics changes.
2: The Ranger's hair and boots are no longer an interesting shade of glowing Hell-magma in ZDoom.
3: Finished sprites for the Claws, including the cracking of knuckles. The Godcannon also now actually has hands holding it, instead of floating off the Ranger's dick.
4: Reloading no longer alerts enemies.
5: The Godcannon now hits dry fire when it's truly empty, not when it has 2/3 shots remaining.
6: The Flechette no longer takes your gun's ammo.
7: Fixed an irritating bug where the Godcannon would sometimes randomly vanish while charging it.
8: The Godcannon actually rains fire now, like it was supposed to, instead of bullet sparks.
9: The Ranger no longer stops running to stare derpily ahead on the select screen.
10: Added a menu key for taunting. Skulltag already has taunts, but now ZDoom players can taunt, too. And they're different taunts!
11: The walking-ahead-from-behind animation is no longer a spastic mess.
12: Buffed the Claw chains. Their finishing moves do more damage, and other attacks do much less varied random damage.
13: Replaced the heavy-dude-in-armor-with-five-layers-of-metal-strapped-to-his-feet landing sound with something much lighter.
14: The Ironsheath dumps an empty mag on the ground when reloading.
15: The Razor Wind has a much prettier trail behind it, now. Also travels a bit slower and has less of a spread.
16: Everyone picks up their own respective shit now. Only the Ranger can get his caltrop Flechettes, instead of the Cleric, Fighter, and Mage being able to get them. The Cleric can get his weapons, the Fighter can get his weapons, etc.
17: In co-op/deathmatch, the Ranger's comments upon picking up weapons no longer play all over the map.
18: The Scrapbox spatters much less pronounced debris and sparks when hitting walls, now.
19: The Godcannon no longer randomly gives infinite ammo.
20: Added +CLIENTSIDEONLY to numerous non-interactive elements, for easier online play.
21: Re-arranged a lot of sound categories. Sounds shouldn't overlap each other as much now.
22: Bullet sparks are slightly more pronounced.
23: The Ironsheath is now more difficult to accidentally fan.
24: Trying to fan the Ironsheath without ammo no longer causes a hand to magically appear.
25: Online/multiplayer play will no longer instantly castrate you. It's still quite buggy (most prominent being the Ranger's skin not being finished and the Fighter and Ranger will have to compete over weapons), and it is HIGHLY suggested not to bring a Fighter along, but it's possible now.
26: The Ranger has his own unique class benefit for the Icon of the Defender now. While the others cause them to go more defensive, for the Ranger it causes him to go berserk in a feral fury.
27: The Scrapbox now has polished sprites, proper hands, and dumps spikes on the ground when reloading.
Doomer_1996

Post by Doomer_1996 »

Well, i think it's pretty awesome.The new weapons and effect really made me play it with Wolfen for some good hours.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Oh dear! I like this. :)

Definitely nice n' original and the character's got some real character. The ammo balance is a bit odd -- one Green for each nailblast is a bit on the low side, meaning you'll practically never run out.

More later when I play through some Deathkings with it. :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”