[Hexen] The Ranger - 12/15/2011 Video + /idgames link!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

[Hexen] The Ranger - 12/15/2011 Video + /idgames link!

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Hello. I'm a guy from the internet, and this is my very first planned-to-be-released-once-it's-finished mod. It's an extra character class for Hexen that allows you to shoot bullets from guns.
I'm very sorry it's not anything big, but I hope it's interesting nonetheless.
Please enjoy.

STORY:
The world of Cronos is a world under absolute rule. The Legion, the Arcanum, and the Church, collectively known as the Three, control all aspects of human society. Individualism is no longer existent, as even the most minute details of everyday life are controlled and regulated. Thought is monitored and people are constantly watched, and privacy does not exist even in one's own home. Their aims are admirable--to keep mankind from destroying itself under the sheer power it holds in its hands.
Without the Legion, humankind would be able to create greater and greater weapons, crafting devastating tools of war and honing their bodies to perfection.
Without the Arcanum, the sheer possibilities of experimentation with magic could unweave the fabric of reality and bring about torment for all eternity.
Without the Church, people would be unable to know what is truly "right" and "wrong", and would be willing to exploit and hurt each other simply for satisfaction.

Their aims are admirable. Unfortunately, the aims of the Three have become twisted--the iron grip that they have on man have clenched tighter and
tighter over time, as each leader only continues to stifle humanity. They have gone from a necessary evil for the greater good to cruel tyrants crushing with power nobody else can wield, and not a single day goes by without laws twisted to ensure even more control over the populace.
When Korax invaded and conquered Cronos, it hardly seemed any worse. An agonizing death at the hands of his unholy minions was little different than a life spent under the hands of the Three.

Yet, there is one locale that stays far out of the reach of the Three.
The Legion controls human might and technology.
The Arcanum controls human knowledge and magic.
The Church controls human spirituality and philosophy.
All of these, however, deal with concepts begat from society and order that are strictly human. For a realm where societies no power and orders are ever-changing, the Three have no hold.
Thus enters the very inhuman realm of nature. Horrifying beasts, unexplored woods, terrifying waters, deadly caverns, nature has held the world in its thrall long before humans were etched into history. For those that wish freedom from the Three, the arms of nature spread wide in a welcome to all humans--provided they survive. Those that flee the towns of the Three will find that nature can be just as cruel, but those who tackle any challenge become warriors legendary in their abilities.
Such people are known as Rangers. Rangers become not unlike beasts themselves in human guise, with light movements in the shadows of the night and striking faster than fangs unsheathed from a gaping mouth. It is said that to know a Ranger is to know aeons of the wild, to have one as an ally is to have a loyal warrior who considers you his pack, and to have one as an enemy is to forever disbar the forests as a safe place to traverse.

One Ranger in particular is Terence. While hardly the one-man-army that other Rangers can boast of being, for Terence he has had life in both the wild and in society. Having been born in the city, raised in the wild, loved and married in a humble town, and then fled back to the forests after tragedy, he has suffered and prospered on both sides. So, now, as the communities of Cronos decline, the Three bolster their grip with the curse of unlife, and Korax continues to spread his evil influence, he decides to strike back.
The next night, the Ranger climbs down from the mountains, lowering himself to the front of the legendary Winnowing Hall. Among the first of the many places set upon by Korax's minions, the chapels bell sounds out as a death knell for doom. Two-headed beasts, Ettins, patrol the courtyard, while gargoyles blackened from constantly-pulsing hellfire patrol the skies.
At the sight of this, a smirk crosses his face. His only response is to crack his knuckles, punctuated with one statement:
"Show me what you've got."

(Color washed in the preview thumbnail for...some reason. The video doesn't actually look that garish)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/10/2011: Release

And here it is.
Wow. My first published mod, finally finished. Just...wow.
I feel like there's something I should say. But, well, here it is. I'm sorry that it took far too long, but here it is. Please enjoy it.

Thank you to everyone interested in following this. My next project will have to involve a tighter leash, time-wise.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16660 - The download.
Spoiler: CHANGELOG:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/06/2011: Release Candidate

I didn't know there was still interest in this, but apparently so! I'm surprised, but happy to learn.
I better push this out, then. This is the Release Candidate version. Assuming nobody finds any more major bugs or there's no more major problems, after this version I'll finish up the Ranger's player sprites and put it on /idgames. If you have any suggestions, criticisms, complaints, or whatever, now would be a really good time to mention them, please.
Wow, my first actual release. Kind of weird! After so many private projects, now something I can really call my own.

http://www.multiupload.com/BW18XR74BU - The download.
Spoiler: CHANGELOG:

9/17/2011: Beta Version Released

Well, that took far longer than it should have. Roughly a month of struggling with SBarInfo, which I eventually gave up on (I apologize to everyone who wants to play this without the status bar), and Skulltag eventually refusing to play anything Hexen related.
For the very few of those interested in this, I apologize deeply for the delay.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.multiupload.com/U7YXYGGS5T - (File size is about six megs)

You will notice two files in there. There's an interesting story behind that.
While working on the pick-up system for the pieces of the Godcannon, I found that Skulltag doesn't support A_Log. For the most part, I'm a flexible man and there's not a lot in the whole ZDoom/Skulltag functionality that really bothers me. Unfortunately, the difference between A_Log and A_Print for pick-ups is placed firmly outside my comfort zone.
The ZD version is code-wise exactly the same, but with A_Print replaced with A_Log. For those who are just as anal about little things as I am and don't want the Godcannon pickups to give you text in the center of the screen but rather in the corner, please use the ZD version.
Why this has made me so anal and not other things is beyond me.
Spoiler: CHANGELOG

8/7/2011: Alpha Version Released
I have only one beta tester, since all but one of my friends are not interested in Doom. I would really like feedback on this, so I just have to swallow down the "OH GOD IT'S NOT READY THEY'LL ALL HATE ME" fears and put it out to you guys for input. If you would consider downloading this, checking it out, and offer input, I would DEEPLY appreciate it.
Please be gentle, this is my first time.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.multiupload.com/RKPBMZOHYW - (File size is about 3.71 megs)

Spoiler: Credits:
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 34 times in total.
ShadesMaster

Re: [Hexen WIP] The Ranger

Post by ShadesMaster »

Certainly interesting. For a 'ranger' though I'd rather see different sprites for the player - maybe that Corvus that was resprited to Hexen-sized? The weapons look promising but as you said earlier, final sprites would be awesome! There was a Medieval skill-shotgun somewhere..........
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

this be the one ur after?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

HellCattX wrote:Image
Punch to reload.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

lol yeah, i didnt make it, just archived it heh.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

He's so badass he doesn't need to reload. He just punches the barrel and the bullets magically appear. Preferably with a cry of "Reload, damn you!".
For a 'ranger' though I'd rather see different sprites for the player - maybe that Corvus that was resprited to Hexen-sized
Corvus doesn't quite strike me as a Ranger, especially a gunslinging type, though I could certainly give it a shot. Might I ask where those resized sprites are and who made them, please?
The weapons look promising but as you said earlier, final sprites would be awesome!
The Ironsheath and Scrapbox are mostly final. "Mostly" meaning "I like their design, but if someone thinks they look like crap I'm willing to listen".
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

I really like the take on the iron sheath pistol, does it reload like a true flint lock pistol? or just fires? i mean it would be a long reload time if ya did, but the sprites would look soooo sweet.

Heres also a blunderbus i have in my archives you may want to use.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

IIRC, the gothic shotgun is by ETTiNGRiNDER and the blunderbuss is by NeoWorm.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

oops i guess i should of put that as well, good call ChronoSeth.
Wargasm92

Post by Wargasm92 »

This looks good! From what I can see so far, you've put some honest, hard work into this, and I would love to see it completed. Are you going to/will you ever make maps, not neccesarily for this but in general? I would love to see a few heXen wads come up on these forums (this is something I intend to remedy soon. I need a break from my doom wad--but enough advertising ;) ) but anyway, it looks good.

Possibly post more intricate details on how the weapons etc work, and other misc stuff that would just be useful to have.

otherwise, keep up the good work!
printz

Post by printz »

So basically this turns Hexen into Doom? I hope the guns don't turn out to look too anachronistic.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

TerminusEst13 wrote: QUESTIONS N' ANSWERS:
I'm entirely amused that this mod introduction style which I used for my Russian Overkill is so popular now. :P
(Not really, but it's 2nd weapon mod which I see uses similar description method.)
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

I really like the take on the iron sheath pistol, does it reload like a true flint lock pistol? or just fires? i mean it would be a long reload time if ya did, but the sprites would look soooo sweet.
It does reload like a flintlock at the moment, inserting bullets in one by one. Problem being, like you said, at the moment this makes the reload time incredibly painful. Currently puzzling how to fix that while still making it period-accurate.
Are you going to/will you ever make maps, not neccesarily for this but in general?
I might, eventually. But at the moment, I'd like to focus more on Heretic/Hexen modding. Not that it's bad, but there's a gigantic amount of Doom mods over Hexen/Heretic, and I'd like to see some stuff made for it. I'm not a very good coder, writer, or artist, but I hope people can enjoy what little I do anyway.
Possibly post more intricate details on how the weapons etc work, and other misc stuff that would just be useful to have.
Done. I just added a Detailed Information section of the post, please feel free to look it over.
So basically this turns Hexen into Doom? I hope the guns don't turn out to look too anachronistic.
I'm sorry, but I don't think adding a single gun-using class makes Hexen suddenly like Doom. If you'd like, though, feel free to tell me if you think the guns look anachronistic--some good looks are in Screenshots or the new Detailed Information section.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wargasm92

Post by Wargasm92 »

Ah, I see now. Nice concepts for the weapons, and good work with the detailed information tab.

I can honestly say that this is a mod I would like to play, when it's finished.

Keep it up!
printz

Post by printz »

Well, the scrapbox does look like something from Doom 3, and the Godcannon looks like the Quake nailgun (not anachronistic, but I expect it to perforate people with carpentry nails, kinda like the firemace). Your mod is very interesting nonetheless.
TerminusEst13 wrote:When crafting the Godcannon, an arrogant engineer made her goal very clear--a siege weapon that could tear down even the gates of the afterlife and make even the gods cry for mercy.
So the ultimate weapon of holy destruction was invented by a woman. Hah :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”