[MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hugoroy

Re: [UPDATED 01/10/2011] Salvo Jettison, NOW WITH EXTRA FAT!

Post by hugoroy »

Sweet, this got updated :D
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

More suggestions/feedback.

The tubular bomb
-I can't believe I didn't notice this before but it does not deal damage to the player? If it's intentional I think it would be better if it did do damage.
-Just copy the way it functions in DN3D, it's more functional. The detonate and deploy bombs should definitely be separate keys. That way you can detonate a bomb soon after you throw it and you can also throw more of them before detonating them. Get rid of the disengage function and make bombs be possible to pick up while armed or, if possible, map the function to a different key.

The plasma concentrator
-If you fire it with your back against a wall, the projectile will touch the wall and explode. Make it spawn further forward or something.
-It does some sort of explosion when it comes into contact with a wall. It doesn't do damage to the player but it still throws him around violently. I suggest you make the player not be affected by that blast, it happens too often where you fire the weapon in a place where you think the projectile will fit, but it doesn't due to the deceptive size of the projectile, and it explodes in your face instantly throwing you hundreds of yards back.
-If possible, make the projectile only come into contact with walls and explode when it hits them directly. Like the projectile will still deal damage to enemies at the same radius, but the radius where it touches walls is much smaller. This will help address the issues mentioned above.
-Solving these issues will make rebalancing the weapon in such a way that it can harm the player feasible, if you agree that it's a good idea.

The desizer
-Some enemies that are shrunk still do the same damage, like the shotgunguy, I guess all the other hitscan enemies too. Also the baron of hell's melee attack, imp's melee attack, etc. do the same damage as when they're not shrunk. If it's too complicated to work out, then just make all enemies run in fear when you shrink them.
-Enemies shouldn't drop anything when you shrink them. It doesn't make sense for, say, a zombieman to drop his assault rifle when you shrink him but his shrunken version is still carrying it firing at you.

Player sprite
-There's no custom sprite for when the player is crouching.
-Once you move, even after you stop, the running animation remains playing.

I noticed that the speedloader drops from shotgunguys only give three rounds, which is odd since ordinary speedloader pickups give the full six rounds. Intentional or not, perhaps this is related to the issue where the shell drops only give half of what they should.
rsl

Post by rsl »

@ hugoroy: Thanks! :D

@ VicRattlehead: thanks for spending some time with Salvo, and for all the good feedback! :D
I have already incorporated most of your comments from the other post. I'll check for these ones ASAP...

If all goes well and no extra bugs arise, I may upload a fixed version soon.

P.S. Found one bug myself. If you happen to deploy all tubular bombs you still have in a row (by holding fire) and then want to detonate 'em, no way... But disengagement works. Tried with A_ClearReFire, but to no avail... :( I may map an additional key, but I'd like to keep the key config as simple as possible... :roll:
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

I tip my hat to you sir, I've been looking for a mod with a ton of unique weapons but with a weight restriction, and your mod, fit the bill. A few suggestions and comments though:

Plasma Concentrator: The minute I used this (assuming I'm talking about the right weapon, the one with the slow pink plasma balls) I immediately thought of the Quad Laser from ATHF.

The infantry rifle sounds rather dinky. I personally already changed the sound to something beefier, but it's just personal preference.

The Hybrid Shotgun seems rather slow to be reloading every two shots, even if it is to make two types of shotguns in one. I think I'm missing just a normal (but weaker) 6 or 8 gauge pump shotgun. You can probably put the crossbow in any of the later weapon slots (since you already have 3 weapons in some) and make the bow a bit stronger. (Either that, or you can make the cocking between shells faster.)

(EDIT: I take it back. I didn't realize how wide spread just the single shell was. I guess I've been playing too much Brutal Doom with the accurate shotgun.)
rsl

Post by rsl »

I tip my hat to you sir, I've been looking for a mod with a ton of unique weapons but with a weight restriction, and your mod, fit the bill.
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! :D
Plasma Concentrator: The minute I used this (assuming I'm talking about the right weapon, the one with the slow pink plasma balls) I immediately thought of the Quad Laser from ATHF.
Are you referring to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNYMxgNKIEU
I didn't know about the series! I wanted to watch the video, but unfortunately "it embodies content disallowed outside the U.S." ... :(
The infantry rifle sounds rather dinky.
That's quite a nerfed sound, for sure. But since the weapon is dropped by poor zombiemen, it does make sense... :P
The Hybrid Shotgun (...)
Yeah, I know it may seem underpowered at first... However, I tried to differentiate it as much as possible from the slot-companion TekBow (which is accurate, rips through and is really effective only to the lowest tiers monsters). Plus, within a few days I should be able to release a fixed version where the revolver becomes a good replacement/equivalent of the traditional shotgun... One round, one imp! :wink:
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

I'm not sure if the new cyberdemons in this mod are still immune to splash damage like their original counterparts, but the rockets they fire certainly can harm them. Hugging a cyberdemon while invulnerable can get him killed pretty easily, by his own rockets.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Hmmm... One solution might be to mark the rockets' damage with a particular DamageType, and then make the Cyberdemon (almost) immune to them.
Also, all rockets might be strengthened a bit to prevent them from exploding so easily... What would you think about this? :?:
As of now, they're probably a bit too cheap... :3:
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

The rockets do explode pretty easily, even imps can give you some trouble if you're trying to shoot them with the RPG. I think rockets should act like how they originally worked instead, that is, not affected by anything. The cluster RPG's cluster shot is weird because the explosions of the rockets causes the other rockets to explode, and the force of the explosion causes the explosion sprites to jump. It's a problem when you try to fire a cluster shot through a narrow opening or in a room with a low ceiling and one of the rocket snags, it blows up the rest of the rockets making the shot useless.

Also, I suggest you make zombiemen sometimes drop pistol ammo/pistols, just like how shotgunguys sometimes drop revolver ammo/revolvers.

The weapon switching sound sounds familiar, did you get it from STALKER?
rsl

Post by rsl »

The rockets do explode pretty easily
I noticed that too, and in the most recent bugfix version (yet to be released) I strengthened the swarmer missiles a bit to make autodestruction harder. At first I thought it nice to have the cluster rockets vulnerable just like the other ones, but to make things work reasonably I'll probably increase the health of all them...
Also, I suggest you make zombiemen sometimes drop pistol ammo/pistols, just like how shotgunguys sometimes drop revolver ammo/revolvers.
I like that. :)
The weapon switching sound sounds familiar, did you get it from STALKER?
I never tried that game... I can't remember precisely, but it may be a slightly edited version of the sound used for the same purpose in "Russian Arsenal" by Jekyll Grim Payne, which - if I understood well - uses a number of sprites converted from STALKER, and could thus have reused the sounds as well. :roll:
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Hmm, another comment about the shotgun. It doesn't seem to appear enough, or at all from zombie sergeants. Unless you find it as a pick up (specfically placed in a map, not dropped from an enemy) I've yet to see it appear. The sergeants always either drop magnum ammo or shells, never arrows.
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

A bug with the powerglove, it only alerts enemies upon pressing the attack key, if you have the attack key held and enter an area where the enemies aren't alert yet, they won't be alerted by the supposed noise the powerglove makes. This behavior is unlike the chainsaw's where it constantly alerts enemies.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Aye, another thing/bug about the shotgun. If you fire only one shell, and then reload, (which automatically pumps the shotgun when you finish reloading) you still have to pump a second time after firing just one shot again.

I'm also really not finding anything that drops steel arrows. (Twilight Zone.wad) Though how I ended up with 25 arrows rather than just 5 the last time I don't know.

The bouncing debri after a barrel/gas tank explosion is very deadly to the touch. Is this on purpose?
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Xanirus wrote:I'm also really not finding anything that drops steel arrows. (Twilight Zone.wad) Though how I ended up with 25 arrows rather than just 5 the last time I don't know.

The bouncing debri after a barrel/gas tank explosion is very deadly to the touch. Is this on purpose?
Backpacks seem to be the only source of arrows, each one gives 20. It would be better if there were ammo pickups, but I suppose not too common since arrows are already reusable. Then of course, he'd have to reduce the current amount given by the backpack for further balance.

The debris is surprisingly deadly indeed. I guess that has to be changed too since the debris are just bouncing around seeminly harmlessly. Maybe if he would make the debris really ricochet around at high speeds then it would make sense for them to do damage but then again that might break level designs that have lots of barrels in them.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

VicRattlehead wrote:The debris is surprisingly deadly indeed. I guess that has to be changed too since the debris are just bouncing around seeminly harmlessly. Maybe if he would make the debris really ricochet around at high speeds then it would make sense for them to do damage but then again that might break level designs that have lots of barrels in them.
I'm no coder but I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that the debri is still part of the explosion "object." For now we can just assume the debri is just really really REALLY hot to the touch, since it's all smoking. :mrgreen:

Some more things: (Yes I haven't been playing much other than this mod.)

The freeze gun feels overpowered. I tried testing on Cyberdemons and SpiderMinds, and they don't work on them. (Or just takes a while.) Other mobs freeze in one hit. I don't know how the gun actually works, whether it deals a certain amount of a damage and when the mob's health approaches a certain threshold it freezes them, or just freezes anything in one shot and just doesn't work on on the Cybies and Spideys. I prefer the latter, (how it is now) but if that's the case the max ammo for the gun needs to be a lot lower if it's gonna freeze nearly everything in one or two shots. With this gun it makes monsters as big as Barons no real threat. Maybe 15-20 tops.

The status bar on the bottom should display your max HP and armor, since it's not a static thing. In addition, the color should be a darker red, or green. (Or anything darker.) It's hard to see the red key if you didn't know you picked it up.

On a rather funny note, the Commandos must be made of jello as they seem to gib (the gushy blown apart gib, not the classic one sprite gore piece ala vanilla Doom) almost 3/4 of the time, even with just simple weapons like the assault rifle. I love gibbing really, and don't care if this ever gets fixed but this is a strange matter of inconsistency.
rsl

Post by rsl »

@ Xanirus, VicRattlehead: thanks for playing the mod, and reporting all bugs/inconsistencies! :)

PowerGlove bug, shotgun bug, arrow spawners, hyper-damaging barrel debris, ever-gibbing ChaingunGuy: noted and fixed!

Overpowered cryogenizer: I can confirm that the weapon is designed so as to freeze the target immediately (the only blocking feat being the target's painchance). I substantially halved the ammo capacity for this one, and in addition, to make it less overpowered against stronger monsters, I made these ones stay frozen for a shorter period of time (i.e. for a Baron Of Hell, you have 3 seconds instead of 5 to finish him).

Status bar readability/capacities: I darkened its background for better readability, but I can't find an health / armor equivalent of the AmmoCapacity variable that is used in the normal DOOM statusbar to display the upgradable health / ammo max. values. If anybody is able to point me to the right info, I might add it anyway. :)
Some more things: (Yes I haven't been playing much other than this mod.)
I can only be glad to hear that! :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”