[MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
insightguy

Re: [MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Post by insightguy »

i mean its even slower and less powerful than the original doom pistol my opinion. it can't even autofire
rsl

Post by rsl »

In fact, if you look at the code you can see that each sidearm round is actually more powerful and accurate than the original pistol one. In addition to that, the weapon has the extra ability to push average-weight enemies back with each round.
Considering that it's the lowest-weighted weapon among all, you couldn't ask for a better bargain... :P
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

I know you already tweaked the desized enemies to run away more often, and they do compared to the previous versions, but there's still a very good chance of them melee attacking you if they end up being close to you. I wouldn't mind it much but the desized enemies still do full melee damage. If you can't reduce the melee damage of desized enemies just like you reduced their projectile damage, would it be possible to just make them absolutely not attack at all? By the way the desized hitscan enemies still do full damage as well so I really think the best thing to do to solve all these issues in one fell swoop is to just make all desized enemies cease from attacking and do nothing but run away.

Also I got the idea that maybe you could display on the status bar the weight of the weapon you currently have out, but one might argue that it would just make the HUD cluttered so I'll leave it as a light suggestion.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Concerning the power of desized enemies attacks, at the end I just resorted to tuning their melee and hitscan attacks according to... proportions. :P And so now one desized Demon deals 2 damage points instead of 5, and so on...

As for the current weapon weight display, I decided to exploit the "Tag" property - from now on, once you pick up and raise a weapon you should be able to read its weight just after its tag name.

And finally, I reduced the sidearm weight to 5 - given its limited power, I see it fitting the "last-call extra firearm" role in the case of 95/100 filled arsenals, so that you can round the weight to 100 by picking up this little, apparently-peashooteresque toy... :mrgreen:

As usual, thanks for the feedback - expect an update around mid-December (currently working on another project so to do a cumulative /IDGames upload when it's finished). 8-)
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I'm still quite concerned about the power of the freeze rifle, it seems to absolutely annihilate everything using very little ammo, I feel like it is extremely overpowered.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Yeah, I was dubious about this too. Already tried to tone it down a bit, but it doesn't seem enough... I decided not to go further since the weapon is already a little limited by its "two-stage" mechanics (freeze, then shatter before time runs out). However, I think that for the upcoming update I'll randomize it towards lower values (i.e. you can harm as you do now, or less).
[from the "Saboteur thread", you wrote] Hey, if you like that, just wait until I make some using Salvo Jettison!
I would indeed be very glad to see something like that!! :D
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

The inventory medkits can still be used when you have 100 health, for no effect. This is actually really easy to fix if you want. Just put something like this in the Use state of the actor definition:

Code: Select all

Use:
 TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfHealthLower(100,"UseSuccess")
 TNT1 A 0 A_Print("health full")
 Fail 
UseSuccess:
 TNT1 A 0 HealThing(25,0)
 Stop
rsl

Post by rsl »

Thanks! Good point. :) I'll include your fix in the next update of the mod - hopefully I should be able to release a slew of them before the end of the year... :roll:
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

*Bug-report bump*

When dropping the standard pistol, it subtracts 10 from your weight total, but when picking it up it only adds 5. This allows abuse of the weight system so as to carry as many weapons as one wants.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Sorry for the late reply! I can't read much of the forums lately...
But anyway, thank you for the heads-up. I just checked, and I can confirm the bug is still there... :? Gotta fix it soon.

Thanks a lot and enjoy! :D
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Oh I do. I play this one a lot.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

If I may be so bold, I've taken the liberty of fixing the weight bug for the Compression Sidearm. Tossing it now only subtracts five weight points. I've also gone ahead and updated the reload mechanism to use ZDoom's built-in Reload key, moved the playerclass declaration to MAPINFO, fixed the long-standing bug of Salvo endlessly flailing his legs when moving, and rewrote the Weapon Drop function so that using it on the Knuckle Dusters (or another undroppable item), then changing to a gun, won't throw down the gun as soon as it appears.

Try it out (and let me know if I missed/botched anything).

Kind of quick-and-dirty as far as my work goes, but I had a tiring day. If I had more energy, I would've given the mod a more thorough overhaul.

EDIT: I've spent the last day or two doing more cleanup on this revision. Mostly general formatting cleanup, but I also fixed a few little things here and there... Again, please let me know if anything seems amiss (regardless of if it was always there in the official version or just in mine), and I'll get right on it.
Last edited by Ed the Bat on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

It's been two years since I played this? Holy crap. *plays again*
rsl

Post by rsl »

Wivicer wrote:Oh I do. I play this one a lot.
Hellser wrote:It's been two years since I played this? Holy crap. *plays again*
It always feels nice to read things like this. Glad to hear it! :)
Ed the Bat wrote:If I may be so bold, I've taken the liberty of fixing the weight bug (...)
Your contributions and fixes are more than welcome, as usual! I just tried your version with GZDOOM 1.6.00 and it seems really fine. :)
At this point, it would be great if I could integrate your changes back into the main mod - or just directly provide your version on IDGames, with your kind permission (you shall be duly credited).
What do you think about this :?:
Ed the Bat wrote:(...) rewrote the Weapon Drop function so that using it on the Knuckle Dusters (or another undroppable item), then changing to a gun, won't throw down the gun as soon as it appears. (...)
I just totally, utterly missed this one. Great job :!:
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I would be honored, sir! If there's anything else you'd like me to look into fixing/updating/changing, I'd be more than happy to do that, as well.

In fact, before I forget, I can note that using A_Log is a bit tricky, as it would appear on every player's screen -- I moved the pickup message for weapon items into the Inventory.PickupMessage to fix the issue there, but there are other places where fixing this is not so simple... not sure what could be done about those.
On a similar note, the messages delivered by A_Print when a pickup fails might be better done with another function (I'm thinking maybe an ACS script and HudMessage), as the console gets flooded with messages (35 per second), and the nature of CustomInventory means only the last message gets printed (something I think ACS may also be able to help with). I just didn't happen to get around to implementing such a system during my work this week. :|

Return to “Gameplay Mods”