[MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Arch

Re: [MUCH-FIXED 25/10/2011] Adventures of Salvo Jettison

Post by Arch »

** Ed the Bat arrives...

** Ed the Bat fixes all your codes!

** Ed the Bat flies away to save another helpless project!!

Hehe jokes aside, nice project you got here. Are there instructions somewhere? I couldn't reload, even after binding a key for that.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Arch wrote:** Ed the Bat arrives...

Hehe jokes aside, nice project you got here. Are there instructions somewhere? I couldn't reload, even after binding a key for that.
I am so delighted that I'm leaving this impression on the community. :D

Now, as for the reload issue, are you using my revised version, or the official one? The official one was released before ZDoom's internal Reload function was introduced, so reloading the guns would require a separate key, which you can bind at the bottom of the list (along with the special weapon-dropping function). My revised version does away with the old reloading method (I'd normally call it a hack, but it was the only real way to do it back then, so it wasn't 'incorrect'), and lets you reload with ZDoom's internal function.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Oh, I played the one on first post, downloading your version now :wink:
rsl

Post by rsl »

@Arch:
Arch wrote:** Ed the Bat arrives...

I didn't immediately link this to the "Bat" part of his signature... :lol:
Arch wrote:Hehe jokes aside, nice project you got here.
Thank you! :)

@Ed The Bat:
Ed the Bat wrote:(...) I can note that using A_Log is a bit tricky, as it would appear on every player's screen (...) I just didn't happen to get around to implementing such a system during my work this week. :|
Yeah, I realize that the rate of messaging can be excessive - especially when walking on a bunch of dropped, non-recollectable weapons. And to aggravate this, I must admit I did not test the modification in multiplayer - although it would be nice to have such compatibility! Yet anyway, if you feel motivated by such a scripting challenge, take your time to tackle it - everything you can come up with, I consider it a bonus. :wink:
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

:D

I'll report back if I come up with any substantial developments to add.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to make a little bump to report that I got a little more work done on this. I moved all the A_Print messages to HudMessage, so now they don't clog up the console (and since this is now in ACS, I was able to actually implement the timed delay on messages that the DECORATE code implied you'd originally wanted). I also consolidated the script for the Laser Cruiser's ammo readout, to save space.

I probably could've kept going with my 'clean up the formatting' thing, but it would've saved only a few kilobytes and have no real impact on the player's side of things, so I can probably leave well enough alone, there.

The only real 'loose thread' is that the message for dropping a weapon is still done with A_Log, and since there's really no other way to add messages to the message log... well, I guess one could try running another feature suggestion for some kind of LogLocal function. I wouldn't hold my breath, though... Anyhow, I've reuploaded to the same location as before, so go ahead and grab the link from my earlier post.

Any other issues/suggestions/whatnot, let me know and I'm always happy to get to work! :)
rsl

Post by rsl »

The fixes you made seem mostly excellent to me. :D
As for the 'drop weapon' message, I have to review a bit the code since I can't remember where it gets invoked ATM. If it does not prove to be strictly necessary, I might as well remove it altogether... :wink:

Anyway, thanks a lot! I am keeping this last version you made available as a serious candidate for the next release... Should you come up with anything else, just let me know.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

The logged 'drop weapon' message is part of each's weapons RSLDrop state. Speaking of drops, it just dawned on me now that, since this special drop command you've made includes functions such as reducing your carry weight, we may want to disable the engine's built-in 'weapon drop' function, so that players don't use that by mistake and get stuck with dead weight for an item they threw away (or exploit weightless guns in multiplayer). This can easily be done by flagging every weapon as UNTOSSABLE.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Sorry it took so long, but I've just gotten to uploading another version with a couple more tweaks:
  • All weighted weapons now flagged as UNTOSSABLE, so a player can't accidentally use the engine's 'drop' command, instead of Salvo's special drop function, and be stuck with the weight points.
  • Knuckledusters and Tubular Bombs are now UNDROPPABLE, so they can't be taken away by ClearInventory functions. Iron Hand can still be dropped normally (with the engine's drop, not Salvo's), as it's weightless and can be picked back up.
  • Added a toggle for excessive gore, such as from explosive deaths, to help with performance. Can be set in the Options menu.
  • Added NOAUTOAIM to Tubular Bombs for throwing control.
  • Removed NOAUTOAIM from Infantry Rifle to be consistent with all other guns.
  • Took the liberty of renaming 9-gauge bullets and 10-gauge projectiles to 9mm and 10mm, respectively. 12-gauge shotshells are unchanged.
  • General formatting cleanup.
The link from my earlier post has been updated with this new version.

Also, as a quick aside, I've begun (and made much progress so far) similarly reworking/cleaning up one of your other projects, That Amazing Space Amazon. But I'll spare the details for now, and save that for its proper forum thread. :3:
rsl

Post by rsl »

Ed the Bat wrote:Sorry it took so long, but I've just gotten to uploading another version with a couple more tweaks
Great! :D Downloading now to try it.
BTW, are you testing against one specific official / unofficial GZDOOM release? I'm lagging a bit in this department (still just got 1.6.00 installed!!).
Ed the Bat wrote:(...) Also, as a quick aside, I've begun (and made much progress so far) similarly reworking/cleaning up one of your other projects, That Amazing Space Amazon (...)
Sounds mostly excellent! You're welcome :!:
Also, I am quite curious about which specific portions of the mod you're targeting. Could you anticipate something? :wink:
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I would always recommend using the latest development build, just to be safe, to ensure the most features and fewest bugs.

Now, as for TASA, the biggest change I'm bringing about is to roll the whole thing into one big package. Instead of having the user load different combinations of the files in order to set what features they want, I've combined it all into one file. The five different classes, as well as the abilities/restrictions they had in the official version, are all available from one menu. Even the FX Tamer is now as simple as a menu option! If a player wants the Valkyrie, with her limited arsenal (including what pickups appear on the ground for her), or if a player wants the second Amazon with her Unicorn rifle, it's all available in one bundle. Players could even mix-and-match for co-op, choosing any one of the five players to team up together. :)

Once I have a few more things in place, I'll send you an in-progress build of what I'm doing, so you can look over it and see how you like it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”