[Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0b

Postby Captain J » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Itschristian wrote:
Shadelight wrote:Why is it called Russian Overkill?

This mod is pure Overkill combine with Russian stuff,with sacrificing your fps to oblivion.
Talk about gold digging... I've never seen something like this before.

Anyway in my theory, Russia in fiction, especially the Soviet part had some over-technology going on and it was quite a trend(See Goldeneye and Red Alert Series). So Pillow took the good and wacky part of it and made the gameplay mod out of it!

A Cliche, but with an extreme twist.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby TheCeron » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Did something happen to the extremesphere? I've been playing recently and I haven't come upon a single one through a number of maps. Granted, both playthroughs were using New Gothic movement 2 and Maps of Chaos; could that be the reason? Really, I miss hearing that thee pop up while I'm playing.
TheCeron

Postby Captain J » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:27 pm

just played the test map and it turns out, the Extremespehere is still in the game. But the spawn late is quite rare.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Postby TheCeron » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:52 pm

That would explain it; is there a way to improve the spawn rate? Something I can alter in an .ini or the like? I wouldn't want to boost it too high but at least enough to see it once a level or every two levels.
TheCeron

Postby Captain J » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:53 pm

Open RO.pk3 with SLADE, go to Decorate folder and locate Spawners.txt. You'll see the Invulnerability sphere replacer.
Code: Select allExpand view
actor InvuSphereSpawner : RandomSpawner replaces Invulnerabilitysphere
{
    DropItem "ShieldSphere" 256 2
    DropItem "ExtremeSphere" 256 1
    DropItem "ForkSphere" 256 1
}
Copy and paste extra extremesphere code to the replacer then we are done!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Postby TheCeron » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 pm

Hm, what do you mean extra extremesphere code? Do you mean repeating the extremesphere code under the same invuln sphere replacer section? Replace the other sphere replacers with extreme sphere? Or should I just increase the 1 to a higher number?
TheCeron

Postby Rowsol » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:38 pm

You can just change the 1 to a higher number. That number at the end is the odds of said item spawning. 1/4 in this case.
Rowsol

Postby Captain J » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:51 pm

I was about to say that you should add another DropItem "ExtremeSphere" 256 1 to the randomspawner, but Rowsol's solution might work too.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Postby TheCeron » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:25 am

I'm making the changes, but they don't seem to be applying. I keep starting a new game and going to a point where I know one of the spheres I changed the spawning of exists (Doom 2's Map 3, a blursphere) just so I can test it out, and it still spawns as one of the other spheres the blursphere is normally replaced with.
TheCeron

Postby Rowsol » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:01 am

What does your blursphere replacer look like? Can't help if you don't provide the code. And if you're asking coding questions you should be in the scripting sub, not bumping this thread.
Rowsol

Postby TheCeron » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:45 pm

It looks like this

Code: Select allExpand view
actor BlursphereSpawner : RandomSpawner replaces Blursphere
{
   // DropItem "Screamersphere" 256 1
   // DropItem "REDsphere" 256 1
    //DropItem "BLUsphere" 256 1
    DropItem "ExtremeSphere" 256 4

}

Though I don't know if this is a coding question per se, the blursphere replacement despite this change still spawned as a Screamersphere.
TheCeron

Postby Rowsol » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:26 pm

If that's the case there are a few things to look out for.

Did you reload the map after making this change? Meaning, not load a save.
Is the difficulty you're playing modifying the actors? Check in zmapinfo.

If those aren't it then I don't know. The code looks fine if you only want extemespheres to show up.
Rowsol

Postby TheCeron » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:40 pm

Hm, it's working now. I think loading the saves was the big issue, I've tried twice on both standard maps and on Sunder maps and both came up with the orbs. So now I just have to tweak the values. I certainly don't just want those spheres but it's nice to see them sometimes instead of never. Thank you both for the help.
TheCeron

Postby Captain J » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:37 pm

If you load the game after you edited the mod file itself, you'll probably have to restart the game because it's possible for some edited or removed assets corrupting your save file. And you're welcome!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Postby Tesculpture » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm

Small bug I've noticed with the Tepesch; with the Alt-fire, the recoil occurs before the shot is actually fired. Meaning your shot never goes where you were aiming, but where your aim ends up as a result of recoil.
Tesculpture

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods