[Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Finished] The Russian Overkill - 2.4

Postby Ashir » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:53 am

Hellser wrote:Welcome to the forums, Ashir! If you're unable to get help here, try the GZDoom Bug Forum at DRDTeam, as this appears to be a GZDoom issue rather than ZDoom or even the mod - as it appears that the renderer is crapping out on you. Also, be sure to scale your image down by using some third party program or website. Having it at fullscreen resolution on the forums tends to cause chaos.

It was a GZDoom bug, present on SVN. Going back to 2.1 fix it...
Ashir

Postby DoomKrakken » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Hey, PillowBlaster! Now that User Buttons can access custom weapon states, ever considered using them to access the different states of those weapons that have four different firing modes, such as the Rasputin and the Gopnik?
DoomKrakken
All but inactive here on the forums. Contact me on Discord for quicker replies.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby PillowBlaster » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:54 pm

DoomKrakken wrote:Hey, PillowBlaster! Now that User Buttons can access custom weapon states, ever considered using them to access the different states of those weapons that have four different firing modes, such as the Rasputin and the Gopnik?

Hey DoomKrakken! Have you considered the idea of checking player buttons, and cease playing smarter than the mod author, because it's an insult to the mod author?
PillowBlaster

Postby wildweasel » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:16 pm

DoomKrakken wrote:Hey, PillowBlaster! Now that User Buttons can access custom weapon states, ever considered using them to access the different states of those weapons that have four different firing modes, such as the Rasputin and the Gopnik?

At the risk of igniting this more than it has, I'd like to kindly ask that you stay away from PillowBlaster's mod threads. I'm getting quite a lot of complaints about you showing up and acting as if you're a member of the dev team.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby DoomKrakken » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:29 pm

PillowBlaster wrote:

Hey DoomKrakken! Have you considered the idea of checking player buttons, and cease playing smarter than the mod author, because it's an insult to the mod author?

Hold on... wait a sec... what?

No! No, I'm not trying to sound smarter than anyone! I was merely trying to suggest something that'd be a little more efficient, so we can use those rather than having to move in order to cycle through firing modes. If I were smarter than you, or trying to sound so, then I'd be trying to make my own mod and drop less suggestions here. But I'm not smarter than you, I can't make anything close to Russian Overkill, and I'm sure as hell not trying to be or sound smarter than you.

I see what I did here. Holy cow, I totally missed it. It's very subtle here, but I can totally see how my previous comment looked kind of snobby and know-it-allish. I should have asked "What if...?" rather than "Ever considered...?"

I can't believe I missed that... I'm so sorry.

wildweasel wrote:At the risk of igniting this more than it has, I'd like to kindly ask that you stay away from PillowBlaster's mod threads. I'm getting quite a lot of complaints about you showing up and acting as if you're a member of the dev team.

I had no idea my actions were getting this out of hand. It was never my intention to show up like I was a member of the dev team. I just know how a lot of this stuff works from extensive studying of the code, and many times I feel that if I post code to make my suggestions happen, or at least spark a thought, then I feel my suggestions can be better listened to. Like with the "Feature Suggestions" thread.

Is this pretty much an unofficial banishment from posting suggestions on these three threads (Guncaster, Trailblazer, and Russian Overkill)? If so, then if it's Pillowblaster's wish, I will follow through with it. Sadly, but surely, I will follow through.

Either way, I wish I was warned sooner...
DoomKrakken

Postby PillowBlaster » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:22 am

I warned you before that you were advocating in my thread. It doesn't take a genius to notice that. Your post ratio is severely outrunning mine in my own threads. You are inadverently being the last one posting in all of them or bumping my threads, having the last word as some kind of mantra. You constantly mention "In my version of the mod!...", but it still gets mixed up with up my work. Someone could finally get a wrong idea, and yes, someone did, if the admin himself got notified about it enough times to point that out. Is this my wish? It wasn't my initiative, if its any consolation to you.

But to stay on topic, that method you suggested is bad for being a downgrade of what is in the mod already - I don't wanna repeat the same mistake and add gorillion worth more of keys to bind. That's why I added direction + alt in the first place. I'll admit that's not exactly obvious, and I did plan to address that. Still, RO at the moment is laying dormant.
PillowBlaster

Postby DoomKrakken » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:40 am

I understand.

The logic behind my suggestion was that I couldn't help but notice that Guncaster utilized those same four user keys for quick-spell bindings. I remember you bringing up that point before, about not wanting to create a whole confusing array of keybinds. So, I figured that if you used those same keys in RO, to access each of those firing modes, it wouldn't really be adding more keys to the keybind array, since Guncaster also utilized the user keys. Is this incorrect?
DoomKrakken

Postby stonefreeocean » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:00 pm

hey there, im wondering exactly how to get the class patch for this to work, im kinda new to this doom stuff in general so as far as i know it could be a simple endeavor and i just sound like an idiot asking but i've been screwing around with stuff all day and decided to just swallow my pride and ask about it, it's much appreciated if anyone gets back to me on this.
stonefreeocean

Postby Rowsol » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:11 pm

You just load it after the main file. If you are dragging over the .exe, select both files by holding ctrl and drag the main file over the .exe. This will make the class patch load after it.
Rowsol

Postby stonefreeocean » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 pm

thank you, that's exactly what it was, and like i thought it was the most simple thing ugh, its good to know now for future reference at least
stonefreeocean

Postby UTNerd24 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Its a shame the recoil doesn't work with recent builds.
Eet eez sad dey.
UTNerd24

Postby PillowBlaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:40 am

UTNerd24 wrote:Its a shame the recoil doesn't work with recent builds.
Eet eez sad dey.

Iz working. Just pops out annoying messages. I recommend sticking with some older g/zdoom build to prevent that. For now.
PillowBlaster

Postby Wiw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:49 am

I think the jetpack's broken. It sort of locks me vertically when I use it.
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Beed28 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:40 am

PillowBlaster wrote:Iz working. Just pops out annoying messages. I recommend sticking with some older g/zdoom build to prevent that. For now.

Is an update fixing these coming soon, then?

Also, a feature suggestions; unlimited ammo pickup in the "cheaty options", since sv_unlimited_pickup doesn't seem to work well in some cases (at least a few of the weapon types still can't be picked up infinitely), and it hurts my OCD if I can't pick up an item these days.

Another suggestion; how about a toggle to make the EXTREMEsphere music optional, since it could mess up a few ZDoom maps that change the music, possibly several times (Black Metal Fortress in DUMP 2 comes to mind)? Not to mention how loud it is in contrast, jeeze (the TITLEMAP themes also seem pretty loud)!

Last, but least, can you please make it a bit more keyboard-only friendly, in terms of weapons adjusting the view pitch? I might play this on the go on my tablet, but I won't be able to use a mouse in those cases.

Otherwise, such a brilliant and insane weapons mod!
Beed28
Making entire worlds bounce up and down.

Postby PillowBlaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:06 am

Beed28 wrote:Is an update fixing these coming soon, then?

Absolutely no promises. It certainly won't happen anytime soon, if ever. But I'm feeling on picking it up again lately, soooo...

Beed28 wrote:Also, a feature suggestions; unlimited ammo pickup in the "cheaty options", since sv_unlimited_pickup doesn't seem to work well in some cases (at least a few of the weapon types still can't be picked up infinitely), and it hurts my OCD if I can't pick up an item these days.

I don't think I can nor want to help on that. That would mean changing every single ammo type into custom inventory, and it sounds pretty pointless. And what the hell is sv_unlimited_pickup?

Beed28 wrote:Another suggestion; how about a toggle to make the EXTREMEsphere music optional, since it could mess up a few ZDoom maps that change the music, possibly several times (Black Metal Fortress in DUMP 2 comes to mind)? Not to mention how loud it is in contrast, jeeze (the TITLEMAP themes also seem pretty loud)!

I generally planned to tweak it, as for instance, the tank fists can pretty much effectively block that music.

Beed28 wrote:Last, but least, can you please make it a bit more keyboard-only friendly, in terms of weapons adjusting the view pitch? I might play this on the go on my tablet, but I won't be able to use a mouse in those cases.

My latest approach at making the screen effects tweakable via multipliers in Caster brought me only two things - massive headache and massive disappointment. So probably no, sorry. Unless I'd turn it into an on/off toggle, which would still prove as a well-sized undertaking (and code spaghetti, unless I'll figure out less retarded method to handle this). Time will tell.

Also "playing RO on tablet" - I am not some old grump (just poor), but I feel like I'm falling behind with tech these days. What a time to be alive.

Beed28 wrote:Otherwise, such a brilliant and insane weapons mod!

Mostly insane, but thanks. Heh.

Wiw wrote:I think the jetpack's broken. It sort of locks me vertically when I use it.

Might need to update (or in this case, even downgrade) your gzdoom, as per usual fixation.
PillowBlaster

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods