[Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0e

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TootsyBowl

Re: [Finished] The Russian Overkill - 2.5, Vodka Strikes Aga

Post by TootsyBowl »

2 things the Libra does what the Antonov doesn't:

1. Mobile healing without having to pick up tanks
2. Much more mobile shield

And one that it doesn't:

1. Blows up in your face.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

And yet the Antonov's other stuff is way more effective at what it does than the Libra. For one thing, the Libra's shield never worked when I used it. Also, the Libra always lowered its shield whenever you fired anything. The Antonov stops for no one.

For another, you can recharge your health way faster with the Antonov than with the Libra. As a matter of fact, the Libra was the slowest healing weapon in all of Russian Overkill. The health packs the Antonov provides are VERY potent.

Finally, you can basically kill EVERYTHING with it before it even gets the chance to get close enough to you to engage in close quarters combat, especially with the super OP cluster bombs that aim directly at any monsters in the vicinity.

I fail to see how Antonov is inferior. :)
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Well, with Libra you can use the plasma balls to fire while having your shield up, but the shield only works 100% against projectiles unless they some certain flags. Also, the healing... who cares about healing here? On higher difficulties and with monsterpacks with powerful beasts, maybe on early game. The healing has a damaging AOE with a good coverage and I actually use that one for damaging enemies around me instead or if I want to have dead bodies as I run around.

Antonov wins for usefulness but I think that Libra looks more badass. The only problem with it is it seems to have underwhelming damage, especially with the kind of large boomy bullets it fires.

I think we are getting another instance of Wolgir again. And it's a testament that weapons PB creates are good.

Also, about Wolgir.. where's the toggle that brings it back?
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

DoomKrakken wrote:I fail to see how Antonov is inferior. :)
Well there's another factor in Russian Overkill's armory-practicality. Sure, the Antonov may be powerful, but for taking down smaller groups or fighting at close range the Libra is a better choice. At least we still have the Marty-whatever for your smaller boolet-shooting needs.

It's why weapons like the Leviathan and Pushka are still around: a more petite alternative to your usual egregious overkill while still retaining a lot of power.

Still, when it comes to bullet-firing weapons the Master Obliterator and Power Overwhelming blow any and all competition out of the water. Which one is better in your opinion, anyways?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

TootsyBowl wrote:Speaking of guns, apparently there's a way to reactivate the Wolgir via a cvar, but I can't find it.
4thCharacter wrote:Also, about Wolgir.. where's the toggle that brings it back?
Press reload with Matryoshka out.
DoomKrakken wrote:- While the MIRV warhead is active, doing the Death Head's alt-fire causes me to use the guided missile, regardless of whether I have "Dumb Mode" active or not.
Now, this is odd. My MIRV-powered Death Head missiles are *never* guided. Still an issue, but in reverse!
People wrote:Wah where's my Wolgir or my Pushkin or my Tarpan or my Katyusha, OH NO NOT LIBRA TOO!
I feel the Antonov is overpowered too, but only when there's no low ceilings (ceilings destroy all of the auxilary missiles) and, to a lesser extent, when you're not close range. The Antonov excels at clearing clouds of Lost Souls and shooting around corners, or even causing open area mayhem. It's almost too useful since you don't have to get in any faces and take all that nasty damage. I hardly use the shield (and when I do, it's nice), and it's true that the Antonov health tanks are a lot less cool than the previous healing aura, but what is also cool is that the replacement of the auras helps each of the guns that have them feel less samey. There are strategies to healing with each gun now rather than simply running around like an idiot. Well, maybe less so with Union, but not to be absolutely stunning...
TootsyBowl wrote:It's why weapons like the Leviathan and Pushka are still around: a more petite alternative to your usual egregious overkill while still retaining a lot of power.
I dunno, man. These too have excellent crowd-clearing capabilities if applied correctly - fire rapidly with Leviathans, queue up a bunch of missiles into Pushka...
NovaRain wrote:2. If I enable "full refill backpack" option, picking up a backpack will show "ACS: I don't know what 100mmAmmo is" message on the screen, and I don't get full 100mm ammo.
This issue I know has not been publically fixed yet. To all other issues, try redownloading RO - Warpoc silliness and other things have been ninjafied from existence.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Zhs2 wrote:
TootsyBowl wrote:Speaking of guns, apparently there's a way to reactivate the Wolgir via a cvar, but I can't find it.
4thCharacter wrote:Also, about Wolgir.. where's the toggle that brings it back?
Press reload with Matryoshka out.
What? That's it? I thought it would actually be the weapon making a return.

Zhs2 wrote:
TootsyBowl wrote:It's why weapons like the Leviathan and Pushka are still around: a more petite alternative to your usual egregious overkill while still retaining a lot of power.
I dunno, man. These too have excellent crowd-clearing capabilities if applied correctly - fire rapidly with Leviathans, queue up a bunch of missiles into Pushka...
Hence the "still retains a lot of power" part. The Leviathans are a weaker alternative to the Schwaer-Zerg, the Pushka is a weaker alternative to the Steamroller, etc.

Still kind of odd how even though all the slot 6 weapons use missiles as ammunition, none of them actually fire missiles. All of them do something very exotic that only happens to be explosive.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Yeah, I am a little disappointed that the Wolgir isn't literally making a comeback. But I suppose Matryoshka is still really good. Also, the chainguns start firing the moment they leave the gun, instead of needing a pause to rev up first, so I actually feel tempted to use it now.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I guess that works, the only thing missing is being able to see myself absolutely showering an enemy with bullets to death to the point they're unrecognizable.

Also, I'd just like to add that Libra still wins in the coolness factor. I mean, you pull up the gun, jam a grip on it like a boss and hold it like a goddamn motorcycle. And you are firing a full-auto bullet bomb cannon. Then it becomes underwhelming when you see it doesn't splatter enemies..

Lastly, I've been thinking about this. If PB did create the code for drunken missiles, why didn't he make Katyusha fire a large swarm of drunk missiles? Another potential for a C&C unit reference right there and it would've made Katyusha good enough to be not boring.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I tried to launch the game, but I got errors: http://imgur.com/a/P4v4R Note: I selected The Ultimate DOOM.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Okay the texture errors are coming up because the titlemap uses textures that are not found in Doom.wad, only Doom2.wad. The other two I'm not so sure about, but the mod runs TOTALLY FINE IF YOU BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY PLAY IT.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Zhs2 wrote:I feel the Antonov is overpowered too, but only when there's no low ceilings (ceilings destroy all of the auxilary missiles) and, to a lesser extent, when you're not close range. The Antonov excels at clearing clouds of Lost Souls and shooting around corners, or even causing open area mayhem. It's almost too useful since you don't have to get in any faces and take all that nasty damage. I hardly use the shield (and when I do, it's nice), and it's true that the Antonov health tanks are a lot less cool than the previous healing aura, but what is also cool is that the replacement of the auras helps each of the guns that have them feel less samey. There are strategies to healing with each gun now rather than simply running around like an idiot. Well, maybe less so with Union, but not to be absolutely stunning...
^ This. Thank you for explaining it so much more elegantly than I ever could. :D
wildweasel wrote:Okay the texture errors are coming up because the titlemap uses textures that are not found in Doom.wad, only Doom2.wad. The other two I'm not so sure about, but the mod runs TOTALLY FINE IF YOU BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY PLAY IT.
Ah, the days of noobish modding... I remember them well.

Keep calm and don't panic. :D
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

You know, maybe we should start comparing weapons. It'd be fun, right? :)

Union vs Martyoshka. Which is better and why?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It's called the "Matryoshka"... the gun shares its name with the famous Russian nesting dolls... since it's basically a nested chaingun. :)

Union fires explosive bullets, and can also use spent brass casings for destructive blast waves that heal you when launched. Unfortunately, you can also hurt yourself with the Union's explosive bullets.

Matryoshka's mini chainguns continue firing bullets until they hit something... so the further away they are from an object in their line of sight, the more damage they can deal. It takes one bullet to launch a mini chaingun that spews so many bullets, so it's way more efficient than the Union. If you want classic Wolgir behavior, or you don't want it to clog up the game with so many tracer projectiles, press Reload to switch to "Hitscan Mode". Bam! It becomes an auto shotgun that runs off of bullets! Then there's also the alt-fire... homing missiles, also going for 1 bullet each. Most useful. I don't believe they damage you if you're too close to them when they explode.

Overall, the Matryoshka is more versatile, more efficient, more effective, and much safer to use than the Union. It's ideal for all ranges of combat, and undebatably has a much higher DPS than the Union. However, the one thing the Union has over the Matryoshka is its healing ability that doubles as an attack fueled by spent brass casings.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Found a bug with Power Overwhelming. Was messing around and accidentally Ice-Uppercutted the Boolet Dispenser. It is now gone. And broken. I can't respawn it, despawn it....anything.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Holy cow, that's a thing?! I gotta see that!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”