[Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0e

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
longlong2002
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [Finished] The Russian Overkill - 2.5, Vodka Strikes Aga

Post by longlong2002 »

110x health on monster for russian overkill 2.5
FlyingPotato

Post by FlyingPotato »

FlyingPotato wrote:Updating to GZDoom 4.0.0 has been causing some weirdness for me, too, including the diffuculty select screen.
...and updating to 4.1.0 fixed it again. Never mind then.
HellBlade64

Post by HellBlade64 »

Don't know if it has been reported yet, but the fists of all 3 characters mysteriously crash Zandronum, but only during network games and only the clients crash not the server.

I took it upon myself to disable the fists until the issue is corrected. ;P

The File
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

I got this weird glitch. https://imgur.com/a/CalSVV2

Brutal Doom Monsters Only + Russian Overkill + Bludrust was the load order
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

That's a sprite conflict. 2 mods are using the same sprite name, whatever the Guru uses in this case. These are relatively common and the only recourse is to change the sprite names of one of the offending mods.
longlong2002

Post by longlong2002 »

Alptraum wrote:I got this weird glitch. https://imgur.com/a/CalSVV2

you had need load order RO first then BDMO
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

I found a serious performance issue when using the Insta-funeral and Rasputin's ice mode on the newer maps of Sunder; their projectiles, for some reason, are set to alert monsters several times in very little tics; this does not mix well with the extremely intricate architecture of these maps, and kills the performance when firing these weapons. Making replacement projectiles that reduces these alert monster calls fixes the problem.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I found a similar issue at least a year ago pertaining to the BeefSupreme and Steamroller spike bombs causing the same problem and they both had monster alerts tied to their explosions. It was worse the bigger the map was.

Heh, it was 4 years ago. How time flies. viewtopic.php?f=43&t=29915&p=817210&hilit=beef#p817210
HellBlade64

Post by HellBlade64 »

<maybe this has been brought to your attention already>

Will this latest version see some form of release for Zandronum aswell?
The currently available version, while playable, has some particularly nasty issues.
Two of which are what I'd call game breaking (or more specifically, "freezing").

1) The alt-fire of Marty's fists (which is his kick attack) for some reason crashes clients (but does not crash Zandronum offline).
I haven't intrinsically tested Marty's alt-fire with every reasonable combination of flags but it seems no matter what I have done his fists alt-fire crashes the game.
Nobody else seems to (weirdly enough).

(Correction) All melee attacks from any character have a chance of crashing the game.

2) The Vindicator's Tertiary fire that spawns a... shield? I don't know what the hell it is honest, but whatever it is slows the game down to an unplayable crawl when deployed.
I'm talking like one frame every 40 seconds slow.

(Edit 11/3/2019 @ 9:40pm)

Now I know why this seems so familiar, I posted about the fists issue before.

As a point of reference I've had to butcher your mod by removing the fists and vindicator from use just so the mod doesn't crash.
And so far on my servers it hasn't.

I hated having to remove features from such a feature and detail rich mod, so the sooner this is corrected the better.

I don't recall any issues like this on the previous Zandronum version (with the old Annihilator minigun that was light gray).

(Edit 11/3/2019 @ 9:45pm)

One more for the night,

The Borsch's altfire (the giant blackhole) is missing frames and sprite pieces online.
It just looks like a weird black tear when it should have purple shadows resonating on that.
This issue only occurs on servers.

Also the Gopnik's fart mine's green fart gas doesn't appear when it explodes.
Again this issue only occurs on servers.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

HellBlade64 wrote:RO? With Zandro?
I am not sure how that even works but congrats on trying that, cause this mod is uh... not quite designed for it. I sure heard of folks adjusting it to work there, but it never was nor I ever plan on making it compatible with Zandronum, unless it really catches up and deals with its own plethora of bugs to follow, thanks to that, but nice to hear that it works there, somewhat.
Beed28 wrote:I found a serious performance issue when using the Insta-funeral and Rasputin's ice mode on the newer maps of Sunder; their projectiles, for some reason, are set to alert monsters several times in very little tics; this does not mix well with the extremely intricate architecture of these maps, and kills the performance when firing these weapons. Making replacement projectiles that reduces these alert monster calls fixes the problem.
It didn't used to be a problem till some version, I'd wager, else I'd feel it much earlier than this. Yea, I'll fix it~

Yeah I don't think I can help here, things will keep on colliding the more sprites and naming conventions are involved. I guess there is a way to use pathing for individual sprites, but I think that's locked to usage of textures. And even if it isn't, I am not exactly looking forward to rewiring the entire codebase to that feature.

As of the other bugs, will handle those too, so stay tuned~
Valken

Post by Valken »

I have this glitch too with RO and Project Brutality mashup.

Does anyone know the name of those robot looking sprites so we can rename it?
longlong2002

Post by longlong2002 »

Valken wrote:

I have this glitch too with RO and Project Brutality mashup.

Does anyone know the name of those robot looking sprites so we can rename it?
you had need PB RO Edited version to use RO ranther PB
Valken

Post by Valken »

I did use the PB RO Edited version but it happens with the latest test builds of PB. So was wondering what the name of those sprites were to see it can be resolved through renaming and updating the relevant scripts.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The Rasputin tooltip never vanishes by itself no matter how long you wait on GZDoom 4.3.3. Turning the tooltip off from the options menu doesn't make it vanish after it's appeared This is probably true of all the tooltips (if there are any more). Slot 1 combo tooltips are fine, though.
PillowBlaster

Re: [Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0, Overture Finale

Post by PillowBlaster »

Update 3.0! Ten years of Overkill! (Technically eleven but that'd be adding in the pre-forum topic development time~) It was a crazy ride and glad that me and me friends I made on the way took a part in it.

Why jumping straight to 3.0 from 2.5? Well, I had done everything I wanted for a final closure and more with this one, KeksDose putting an equal amount of polish into it. Consider this one as a master update that I was supposed to do in the first place, but the burnout got the best of me at the worst moment. There really isn't much of new content per-se, but sure lot of improvements in all fields of the mod!

The key features of this update from me and the extra helping hands I'll mention there are:

-Most of the decorate code portions of the mod got either hefty refinement or a complete rewrite from scratch. It should look faster, better, stronger, GABEN~
-KeksDose did a clean up too and there's many good changes about it - see his follow-up post for details!
-Speaking of that rewrite - the weapons use code offsets now instead of realigned frames, meaning I almost got myself killed in the process of doing so, but in layman speak, stuff should look much smoother. I also added recoil controls, therefore almost killing myself twice in the process.
-YURI IS BACK! Since Insightguy took initiative to contact Team Future regarding Yuri's sprites and they are okay with it, I have decided to slap them back in. I actually planned to make for him his own sprites, but considering my massive burnout last time... Well, that comes handy, and I was quite nostalgic of them.
-All-around widescreen support. Some things may still cut-off on some obscenely wide setups, but generally - that stuff should be much better now!... Bar Caber animation still looking [censored word], but hey, can't win 'em all.

-Also thanks to Zhs2 for finally getting some feedback whenever your shield suffers damage (it might sound like insignificant change, but it messed with me more than intended), Sgt. Shivers and Zrrion the Insect in tandem for their work giving Borsch a new, cool-ass look!

Also, things you wouldn't wanna miss from yours truly (especially if you didn't see the video):
-Class-patch is built-in, albeit working a little differently at that. Remember to start a new game for it to work proper!
-Heretic support; Hexen and Strife sux and I don't plan on making 'em work here, but Heretic deserves it, Heretic is muy bueno fiesta grande~
-Slightly streamlined melee; some combos should be easier to do and they are better highlighted in the combo table now.
-Beef Supreme has a new addition to its main firing mode to justify its reload time. Have fun!
-Extra firing mode to Master Obliterator, truly showcasing the true potential behind its name.
-Quad upgrade also affecting Violator and Erasus now, because that's something I should've done long ago, but only now had skills and ideas to do it without putting bullet through my skullcasen.
-Leviathan's got a new, Xaser-styled reload (How many more things I'll nick from ol' supercomputer? Too many I tell you). It fires slower, but it packs more wallop in exchange.
-Torchglow got a new extra firing mode. It's nothing too crazy behavior-wise, but it sure is addictive to me. (A little nod to what this gun was originally planned for Icytux's thing. #BringIcyBack)
Spoiler: changelog
So what's gonna be left for the mod? I dunno, I think it's essentially finished, bar incoming bugfixes, but that's what I said last time. Keep your eyeballs peeled, and if something's gonna be up, you'll probably know about it, we'll be yabbering about it on sohshul media for sure.

My twatter.
Keks twatter.

(Download's on the follow-up post, by the by!)
Last edited by PillowBlaster on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”