[Release] Jedi Knight Mod v.2

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cybermind

[Release] Jedi Knight Mod v.2

Post by cybermind »

This mod brings in Doom universe a lot of stuff from Jedi Knight and Dark Forces games - weapons, items, Jedi forces etc
SVN GZDoom is requied (because of models)
Weapon list:
Spoiler:
Forces:
Spoiler:
Weapon Supercharge replaces the Berserk Pack and increases the firing speed of weapon.
The Megasphere adds an unlimited force for a short period.

Screenshots:

Download
There could be some bugs, so please report them.
Last edited by cybermind on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chopkinsca

Re: [Release] Jedi Knight Mod v.2

Post by chopkinsca »

"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

Added FileFactory link into first post
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You have captured the feel of the original weapons quite nicely IMO. I like 'em. :)

The mod really needs to be made widescreen compatible these days though. The edges of the HUD gauges are cut off and the sniper scope blacout doesn't cover the full width of the screen in widescreen resolutions.

Also, if I type "kill monsters" at the console, the game crashes.
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

I forgot to say: this mod supports multiplayer, and also you can fight with each one with lightsabers :) But the greater the number of players, the more unpredictable mod will behave.
Enjay wrote:The mod really needs to be made widescreen compatible these days though. The edges of the HUD gauges are cut off and the sniper scope blacout doesn't cover the full width of the screen in widescreen resolutions.
I have tested the mod with 640x480 resolution.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

cybermind wrote:I have tested the mod with 640x480 resolution.
Precisely my point. Most users now play with a widescreen resolution like 16:9 or 16:10, not a 4:3 like you tested things on. You should try and test at widescreen resolutions too to make sure that your mod looks OK on them. You can force (G)Zdoom to use widescreen ratios for testing purposes even if your monitor is a 4:3 one.

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The fullscreen HUD, if you're doing it with SBARINFO, can be done with a "fullscreenoffsets" keyword so it anchors to the corners of the screen and will scale if HUD_SCALE is true.

I'll be testing the mod proper in a bit, though.
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

wildweasel wrote:if you're doing it with SBARINFO
No, it's fully done with ACS.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Thoughts as I play:
  • Add +NOEXTREMEDEATH to the Bryar Pistol's projectiles so they don't gib zombies.
  • You pulled off the lightsaber deflection perfectly. I love it.
  • Playing with GZDoom and noticing that the lightsaber glows green when in a dark area. Awesome. Reminds me of playing the original Jedi Knight and using the lightsaber indefinitely just because it acted as a free flashlight. =P
  • The blaster rifle doesn't seem to fire fast enough or do enough damage.
  • I like how you ensure that players don't just turtle constantly with the lightsaber deflection. It's a pretty clever system.
  • The thermal detonators could really use a throw-strength meter. Also, pull the hand back farther when readying, so it looks like Doomguy is actually putting some effort into lobbing these things around.
  • "You learnt [x] Force level!" isn't grammatically correct - try "You have reached Force level [x]!" instead. Also try adding a second message below that, to inform the player that they have earned Force stars to spend on powers.
  • The Repeater projectiles move fast enough that the "fire" sound that's attached to them escapes from the player before it's finished playing. Try silencing the projectile and making the weapon (and enemy) play said sound directly with A_PlayWeaponSound. This also stops the sound from being interrupted by the projectile hitting a wall and sounding bad in close quarters fights.
  • Hell Revealed-type slaughterfest maps become very fun with the lightsaber deflect. unfortunately, the rest of the weapons are badly balanced for crowd control situations.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”