Weasel Presents: NAZIS V2

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheDarkArchon

Re: [Beta] Weasel Presents: NAZIS (wwhc-ana)

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Woolie Wool wrote:MageWandShot existed for a long time before FastProjectile, but it was a native class and you couldn't do a whole lot with it. One early mod that I worked on had a sniper weapon whose projectile inherited from MageWandShot.
It was in r1290. Safe to say it's in Skulltag.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I stand corrected. However, my apprehension towards a Skulltag version remains unchanged. =P
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Not sure how I missed this one... I really like the weapon effects! When I first saw the title I got really excited.... I couldn't believe someone like Weasel would be making a mod where you could play as a Nazi. After watching the video I was a little disappointed, but overall this is shaping up very nicely. Wolfenstein was one of my first FPS games so seeing the weapons and enemies like this in a new way really speaks to me in a nostalgic kind of way. I'll never forget how nervous I was the first time I came across one of those power suit chaingun soldiers. Nice work Weasel now I need to download this and play! :wub:
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Uh, the trail from Nebelwerfer missiles obscures vision a bit, maybe lower the missile launch offset a bit or increase alpha on smoke? Aside from that, I like that!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Magban724 wrote:Uh, the trail from Nebelwerfer missiles obscures vision a bit, maybe lower the missile launch offset a bit or increase alpha on smoke? Aside from that, I like that!
I might look into it; I notice the smoke/fire trails are not being rendered as additive translucency, which might account for them looking so thick. I think that might make it slightly easier to see, but also note that the German word "Nebelwerfer" literally translates to "smoke thrower" so removing the smoke might turn that into a misnomer. =P
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Few small things:

-The double shotgun takes annoyingly long to reload
-Something wrong with the berserk (machete?)
-The MP40 reload is animated improperly
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

SamVision wrote:-The double shotgun takes annoyingly long to reload
pretty sure it's only like 15 tics longer than the vanilla SSG
an extra half a second between shots for such a powerful weapon hardly seems unreasonable.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

SamVision wrote:Few small things:

-The double shotgun takes annoyingly long to reload
No longer than it takes to fire two shots of the trench gun and reload them.
-Something wrong with the berserk (machete?)
It's the German word "Machtige!" which means "Powerful!" Is that the only thing wrong with it?
-The MP40 reload is animated improperly
How?
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

wildweasel wrote:...but also note that the German word "Nebelwerfer" literally translates to "smoke thrower" so removing the smoke might turn that into a misnomer. =P
Oh, I didn't meant to remove the smoke, just to make it more translucent or move missile launch offset a bit down, that's all.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Have you considered adding textures to replace the UAC logos with swastikas etc? I mean with the same background but with 'UAC' removed/nazi symbols or names added just so base maps could actually become nazi base maps with no need to modify them.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Vertigo wrote:Have you considered adding textures to replace the UAC logos with swastikas etc? I mean with the same background but with 'UAC' removed/nazi symbols or names added just so base maps could actually become nazi base maps with no need to modify them.
I do not like the idea of replacing IWAD textures with modified versions, as there are some older Vanilla-compatible map packs that also replace these textures and this may interfere with it.
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Vertigo wrote:Have you considered adding textures to replace the UAC logos with swastikas etc? I mean with the same background but with 'UAC' removed/nazi symbols or names added just so base maps could actually become nazi base maps with no need to modify them.
hey man just play the wolfendoom series with this thats what i did
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Been playing a few levels with this over the weekend. Loving it. Relatively low HP enemies with hitscan weapons are something I really like. So, this mod pretty much covers that and the fast projectile bullets are an interesting change. Personally, I'd be happy enough if all the enemies had been replaced with "normal" Nazis. I could do without the various semi-boss and novelty enemies (though it is fair enough that they are included) so I have been loading up and playing maps that contain mainly lower echelon enemies.

A few things that have probably been mentioned already...

The rottweiler dog needs to lose that shadow. It may work in Wolfenstein but a grey shadow just looks odd on most of the Doom floors.

The debris left behind by the TNT barrel and box has quite a big (wide) sprite and this looks odd when you move around because the sprite rotates to. Also, if there are some barrels on a narrow ledge the debris ends up hanging in mid air.

I played a couple of levels where there were narrow gaps that were meant to be shot through but it was very difficult, if not impossible, to shoot through them with the projectile weapons. Probably can't be solved I guess.

Is it deliberate that weapons don't change away when empty? Personally, I'd prefer it if they did.

I find the ghosts (lost soul replacements) silly looking and annoying to the point of not fun. Lost souls are often used in large "shoals" in maps but, IMO, the ghosts are often too deadly to be used like that. And they look silly. Did I mention that? :P

The ROTT alpha boss in the flying chair doesn't suit the graphical style of the other enemies IMO.

This mod is screaming out for a hand grenade of some sort. The ability to toss a grenade into a room and then follow through with all guns blazing is something that needs to be possible when fighting Nazis. ;)

I want burn deaths for the Nazis dammit!

Despite that list, this is a hugely enjoyable mod and the only reason that I have suggested/asked about so much is because I am having fun with it. :D

[edit] Just played "Phobos Anomaly" and the walls didn't lower when I killed the baron replacements. [/edit]
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Enjay wrote:The rottweiler dog needs to lose that shadow. It may work in Wolfenstein but a grey shadow just looks odd on most of the Doom floors.
Removed at this point - it's just not released yet.
The debris left behind by the TNT barrel and box has quite a big (wide) sprite and this looks odd when you move around because the sprite rotates to. Also, if there are some barrels on a narrow ledge the debris ends up hanging in mid air.
Hm. Maybe I could have the debris fade away after a while, or a lower scale?
I played a couple of levels where there were narrow gaps that were meant to be shot through but it was very difficult, if not impossible, to shoot through them with the projectile weapons. Probably can't be solved I guess.
Yeah, the bullets already have a radius of 1. Your best bet is, if you need to hit a switch a long way away, MDK it, or if you need to attack through it, punch through.
Is it deliberate that weapons don't change away when empty? Personally, I'd prefer it if they did.
I despise weapon auto-switch in all forms, personally, but it's a bit inconsistent the way this works, currently only the sawed-off shotgun will switch away if you try to reload without any ammo remaining. I could fix the other weapons to do this.
I find the ghosts (lost soul replacements) silly looking and annoying to the point of not fun. Lost souls are often used in large "shoals" in maps but, IMO, the ghosts are often too deadly to be used like that. And they look silly. Did I mention that? :P
I could reduce the damage, maybe?
The ROTT alpha boss in the flying chair doesn't suit the graphical style of the other enemies IMO.
I didn't initially see any issues with him, honestly.
This mod is screaming out for a hand grenade of some sort. The ability to toss a grenade into a room and then follow through with all guns blazing is something that needs to be possible when fighting Nazis. ;)
I'll see about adding some Stielhandgranates.
I want burn deaths for the Nazis dammit!
Okay, but I'd rather not use the same Strife animations and burn screams I've had in my last seven or eight mods. Alternatives? (Preferably not too cheesy?)
[edit] Just played "Phobos Anomaly" and the walls didn't lower when I killed the baron replacements. [/edit]
God damn it. Time to look up spawn ID numbers and boss flags again. =P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

wildweasel wrote:Hm. Maybe I could have the debris fade away after a while, or a lower scale?
Either would do. Or make the barrels/crates spawn a number of individual debris actors that would fall appropriately for their size (fading out would probably still be a good idea).
wildweasel wrote:Yeah, the bullets already have a radius of 1. Your best bet is, if you need to hit a switch a long way away, MDK it, or if you need to attack through it, punch through.
One specific circumstance was an enemy in a cage made from 8x8 bars with 8x8 gaps between them. Even close up most of my shots caught the bars (though some got through) and, yes, I did eventually punch through. :) The enemy in the cage (a chaingunner without "Nazis" loaded), however, was impotent. Nothing he fired got through to me. There isn't anything that I can think of to remedy this though. It's not a big problem anyway.
wildweasel wrote:I despise weapon auto-switch in all forms, personally, but it's a bit inconsistent the way this works, currently only the sawed-off shotgun will switch away if you try to reload without any ammo remaining. I could fix the other weapons to do this.
Fair enough, it's your call. I realise this is a personal preference thing.
wildweasel wrote:I could reduce the damage, maybe?
But how would that make them look better? ;) Yes, a lower damage might help. Currently, if you let yourself get surrounded so that you can't move, you are pretty much dead.
wildweasel wrote:I didn't initially see any issues with him, honestly.
It's just that the graphical style is different. The normal Nazis have a fairly typical Wolfenstein almost-cartoony crispness to them and the boss enemies even more so. The flying chair guy, however, has a softer, more blurred appearance like someone has used a "soften" tool on him or resized a bigger picture to a smaller one using a smoothing resize of some sort. He isn't wearing a uniform either, which also singles him out a bit. It's not a big deal and the enemy works well enough. I just thought I'd mention it.
wildweasel wrote:I'll see about adding some Stielhandgranates.
That would be very nice. :D
wildweasel wrote:Okay, but I'd rather not use the same Strife animations and burn screams I've had in my last seven or eight mods. Alternatives? (Preferably not too cheesy?)
I can understand your reluctance to use them and, no, I don't know of any alternatives. It just seems a little disappointing to flame the bad guys and just have them fall over like normal.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”