[WIP] Endless Strife V11 (update 20-06-12)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Re: [WIP] Endless Strife V10 (update 12-03-12)

Post by amv2k9 »

Apologies in advance for doubleposting, but for those of you with, shall we say, less robust computers, I created this lil fix. It replaces EndlessStrife's particle-spawning torch actors with ones that A_CheckSight before spawning particles. If the player isn't in a position to see the torch, the actor jumps to a state where for that tic, it spawns no particles. I loaded this up with my dinosaur of a computer and noticed a significant improvement in framerate. Maybe some other people will get use out of it. Make sure you load it *after* Endless Strife.
ChronoSeth

Re: [WIP] Endless Strife V10 (update 12-03-12)

Post by ChronoSeth »

Heh, I already did that myself in an unreleased patch. Thanks for getting this out anyway.

I would have included sight checks from the beginning, but at the time I didn't know how. Sorry. xD

*edits start page
ChronoSeth

Re: [WIP] Endless Strife V11 (update 20-06-12)

Post by ChronoSeth »

Ugh, I need to release this or I'm just going to feature creep forever. This will be the last release for a long while, barring bugfixes.
Spoiler: Changes
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

The new Mauler is no good, neither was the previous version. Its really underwhelming.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Yeah, I know. It's the one thing I'm not happy with at all... :?
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

ChronoSeth wrote:- Removed my custom HUD. It was horrible.
I liked it :? It was certainly better than the default HUD which takes up waaaay too much room.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

As I said, you can re-enable it again by renaming "unused.txt" to "sbarinfo.txt". Though apparently using the Base keyword broke it, so you'll have to remove that.

I'm planning on redoing it eventually; it was really hard to see the health/ammo values when not using HUD_SCALE, but if it was scaled it would take up too much space for my liking (especially the keybar and inventory bar).
StrifeFan323

Post by StrifeFan323 »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I would like to report a VERY big bug in the most recent version of Endless Strife(v11). It happens whenever I go to see Irale, the Front's weapon supplier, near the beginning of the game to get an assault gun from him. After buying it from him, when I try to reload it, the reload animation for the gun plays, but my ammo count for it is set back to zero and all I hear is the "out of ammo" sound. This same bug also occurs when I try to fire the assault gun as well. I've tried every possible workaround, but none of them have worked at all. I'm using GZDoom 1.6.00, by the way.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Try it with an SVN build and let me know if it still happens. You're using an old version of GZDoom, and it's not happening to me with r1530.
StrifeFan323

Post by StrifeFan323 »

I tried using GZDoom r1551 just a few minutes ago, and it still happened. What's even stranger is that this doesn't happen in the previous version of Endless Strife(v10).
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this, given the rarity of Strife mods. It's gotten me back into playing this game after nearly 10 years. It balances the difficulty such that the game is actually more fun on the hardest difficulty. Normally, I only survive the opening fight 1 out of 10 times, but now, I can hack up the two Acolytes with ease. Right now I'm going around town kicking the respawning Acolytes in the face to restock my bullets before the castle assault.

If you ever get back to this mod, would there be a way to add the fuel canisters to the weapons page so that I can see how many I'm carrying? Also, is there a way to make the weapon icons on the weapons page visible again?
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:If you ever get back to this mod, would there be a way to add the fuel canisters to the weapons page so that I can see how many I'm carrying? Also, is there a way to make the weapon icons on the weapons page visible again?
I will come back to this eventually, but it's unlikely I'll be able to do that (assuming you're talking about the weapon readout pop-up). Strife's HUD isn't defined in [wiki]SBARINFO[/wiki] like the other games (last I checked, anyway), so at the very least I wouldn't be able to just copy/paste/edit into a new HUD. I also can't recreate the original status bar totally faithfully, as IIRC there are a couple features (mostly regarding the life bar) which can't be easily replicated with SBARINFO.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Oh okay. In any event, this mod has made my list of favorites.

I forgot to mention a potentially game-breaking obstacle in the Programmer's Keep. The walls barring your access to the pyramid will not lower until every single Crusader robot is destroyed. On the hardest setting though, the Crusaders respawn like all other enemies. This means I have to run around like a maniac demolishing the Crusaders as fast as possible, making sure I don't miss any, while at the same time trying not to get killed. I did manage to do it eventually, but it's a pain in the ass. The boss was ridiculously easy by comparison since I just roasted him with the flamethrower.

Is there a way to create an exception to the respawning Crusaders on this map? I don't want to have to use cheat codes just to bypass this part each time.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Well... that is definitely not intended. :P

I'll see what I can do when I get to it.
pantera

Post by pantera »

I can't download the file. Can you please upload to another filehosting? thanks :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”