Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.4 released! 4/11/11

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.1 released! 3/19/11

Post by amv2k9 »

Mikk- wrote:How about giving Stalkers the ability to use that gun mounted on the front. Strife already has those sprites in STRIFE1.wad
I had thought about doing that when I first started and found those frames, but there are a few places in Strife where you are absolutely SWARMED by these things. Like in one spot in the Borderlands, you come across a horde of like twenty of them on Elite difficulty.

Also, I need to tone down the spawn rate & agressiveness of the new Crusader variants.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Work continues on WoR Beta 1.2:

-Cardinals (Flamethrower Acolytes) are being fixed; they'll use the flamethrower when you're close, but outside that range they'll use their assault gun.
-Crusader variants spawn less often, and the mauler variant fires only one torpedo. The blue Crusader now has the railgun it should have had previously.
-The Arbiter uses the MiniMissileLauncher's native A_FireMiniMissile function; in English, the weapon will now start out inaccurate, but will improve as you get gun upgrades.
-Special effects added to Draken; flames splatter droplets when they hit objects.
-I've been experimenting with CustomInventory and aliases; what I'm thinking of doing is eliminating the PunchDagger as a weapon assigned to a slot, and instead make it an attack bound to a new key, accessible whenever you're holding one of the lighter weapons, like the crossbows and rifle.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

amv2k9 wrote:
Mikk- wrote:How about giving Stalkers the ability to use that gun mounted on the front. Strife already has those sprites in STRIFE1.wad
I had thought about doing that when I first started and found those frames, but there are a few places in Strife where you are absolutely SWARMED by these things. Like in one spot in the Borderlands, you come across a horde of like twenty of them on Elite difficulty.

Also, I need to done down the spawn rate & agressiveness of the new Crusader variants.
Currently in Strife++ [Yes, I am working on it] The stalkers have a very rare chance of using the gun, and when they do, they only fire 2 shots, cool down, then resume running about like the little dicks they are.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.2 released! 4/1/11

Post by amv2k9 »

No April Fools'ing here; Beta 1.2 is now out! Check the first post for the download.

New features:
-Strifeguy now uses the punchdagger in his left hand. This is to retain consistency with...
-Key-bound melee:
Press (default: f) key to do a slash with your dagger. Works with any weapon except the HiVolt, the PunchDagger (duh), and the Sigil.
-Black Widows may use their gun at a distance.
-Cardinals use a flamethrower at closer range.

Issues:
-Keybound melee just does not look right. Even with 1/3 of the frames it used to have, and all frames at 1 tic, it's too slow, and thus doesn't really look like he's hitting them that hard.
-The omnipresent "Spiderbot doublespawn" issue.
-Using the new melee attack on walls make a decal from whatever weapon you have equipped, so melee'ing while the Arbiter or Draken is out makes a big scorch mark.

EDIT:
Forgot to test 1.2; ZDoom quit 'cause I spelled "Phosphorus" wrong :roll: That's been fixed, and so this rerelease is more than just a fix of one error, melee attacks with the HiVolt have been added.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

work continues on WoR 1.3

-Fixing the Spiderbots: If they entered their "TargetClear&Reacquire" state (which allows them to forget a target & find another if they spend too long fruitlessly chasing it) near ledges, they could start walking on air.

-Added reload to the Draken & Thrasher.

-Smoke puffs added to Harbinger bullet casings.

-I'm thinking about making destructible decorations; trees that burn if enough fire damage is done to them, lampposts that shatter if hit by minimissiles, etc. Not a crucial thing to add, but I always thought it was wierd that trees & bushes seemed to be fireproof.

-I've been experimenting with a new grenade type that could be used to replace both the Hi-Explosive and Phosphor Grenades. It blows up like a Hi-Ex Grenade, but launches four Phosphor Fires. These act like the fire launched from a Phosphorous Grenade, except they are much shorter lived (15 versus the original's 120). So basically you get a grenade which is better than the Hi-Ex, but not quite so overpowered as the Phosphor. Replacing the two grenade types with one could mean getting rid of the Draken and making its primary fire an altfire of the Arbiter. The Drone Turrets and Spiderbots would become CustomInventory items. Tell me what you think.

-If bullet casings and spent magazines land on an elevator that's partway up or down, they get stuck at that height. In the process of fixing that.

Bugs:
-If Black Widows shoot their gun while on the ceiling, their sprite will be right side up instead up upside-down. I'm at a loss as to how to fix it, unless I can put in a JumpIf that checks for whether the actor is on the floor, and only if that condition is met will it go to the Missile state. Or something like that.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

[wiki]A_CheckFloor[/wiki]
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Thanks, I think the opposite may be what I need: [wiki]A_CheckCeiling[/wiki]. I'll try putting that in the start of the Missile state.

EDIT: 4/6/11
more fixes for WoR 1.3

-The Stalker's ceiling-related native functions always flip the sprite. As the Black Widow inherits from the Stalker & uses A_ShootGun (which is not native), it would incorrectly display the firing sprite as being right-side up when the Black Widow fired from the ceiling. Black Widows now do a check in their Missile state for whether they're on the ceiling, so they no longer do their gun attacks when hanging.

-Harbinger bullet casings had their size set improperly, so the vertically-aligned ones looked cut off. That's been fixed.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.3 released! 4/9/11

Post by amv2k9 »

WoR Beta version 1.3 is out! Check the first post for the download.

-reload added for Draken and Thrasher

-Keybound melee changed: Strifeguy now follows up a slash with a punch attack, without additional inputs needed. Does minimal damage, but knocks enemies back; perfect for buggers getting in your face. Note that whether you do one slash or a hundred, Strifeguy always follows up with one punch.

-Spiderbot Capsules are thrown from the right instead of the left.

-Decals for Arbiter & Draken projectiles now handled through DECALDEF. This corrects the issue of decals not showing up, and the problem of the keybound melee attacks creating decals.

I'm trying to decide whether to leave in or take out reload. Tell me what you think.
Big C

Post by Big C »

The reload for the assault gun is a bit too slow IMHO. However, I vote you keep the reloading mechanic.

Also, good God, I don't remember Strifeguy having such terrible starting accuracy with the assault gun in the original game.

Also also, I don't like the bouncy trajectory of the assault gun's secondary grenade. I don't mind the short range arc, but can't stand how it lobs the grenade UP. Also also also, using the grenade launcher function without grenades makes the assault gun do this "stow away" animation but doesn't do anything.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

First off, thank you for replying!
Big C wrote:The reload for the assault gun is a bit too slow IMHO. However, I vote you keep the reloading mechanic.
Yeah, I'll cut down the frames used to accomplish the assault gun reload.
Big C wrote:Also, good God, I don't remember Strifeguy having such terrible starting accuracy with the assault gun in the original game.
Light taps of Pri Fire are best early on; otherwise the weapon is essentially a shotgun that doesn't fire all it's pellets at once, has less power, and no vert spread :)
Big C wrote:Also also, I don't like the bouncy trajectory of the assault gun's secondary grenade. I don't mind the short range arc, but can't stand how it lobs the grenade UP.
I could modify the angle a bit. I wanted it close to the standard grenade launcher physics to give it good distance and anti-air capability.
Big C wrote:Also also also, using the grenade launcher function without grenades makes the assault gun do this "stow away" animation but doesn't do anything.
I think this is partly because of SelectionOrder (Harbinger has highest priority) and partly because there's no "dry fire" state for the altfire. I'll get on fixing that.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

About the new acolytes randomly replacing other Acolytes: you need to give them corresponding ConversationIDs. One example I can think of where this is game-breaking is when you infiltrate that warehouse where you can find a mauler. What would originally have been a gold acolyte which would drop the mauler key ended up as a paladin (?).
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

ChronoSeth wrote:About the new acolytes randomly replacing other Acolytes: you need to give them corresponding ConversationIDs. One example I can think of where this is game-breaking is when you infiltrate that warehouse where you can find a mauler. What would originally have been a gold acolyte which would drop the mauler key ended up as a paladin (?).
I know he still drops the Mauler Key. Thought I put in ConvIDs for them, but I'll go recheck that tonight.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.4 released! 4/11/11

Post by amv2k9 »

WoR 1.4 is now out!

Changelog:
-Arc of grenade launch lowered.
-Well, I don't know what I did, but conversations & quest drops no longer work with Acolyte variants. They were before. So all of the new Acolyte types have been removed.
-Black Widows have been taken out; you now see a non-stealth & non-ambush version of the Stalker that uses a gun and spawns 1/3 of the time in place of the normal Stalker.

Next up, support for Doom and Heretic!
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

amv2k9 wrote:Next up, support for Doom and Heretic!
What. :shock:
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

ChronoSeth wrote:
amv2k9 wrote:Next up, support for Doom and Heretic!
What. :shock:
Well, there aren't a whole lot of maps you can play this on...
EDIT: On second thought, maybe I won't. Making this comaptible with Doom & Heretic means putting a good deal of Strife's graphics into the wad, and I'm pretty hazy on the legality of that move.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”