Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.4 released! 4/11/11

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.4 released! 4/11/11

Post by amv2k9 »

Screenshots:
Zooming in with the Recluse. Say g'night, Gracie.

Drone Turrets: Automated heat-seeking death.

The Thrasher altfire in action.

What is it?
A weapons mod for Strife. Its aim: to radically change the way you play, by removing weapons, grafting their abilities onto other weapons, and adding whole new attacks. WoR also works for the (admittedly few) custom maps out there, such as A World in Strife: Raiding the Dam.

Credits:
Coding: amv2k9
Sprite editing: amv2k9
Special thanks to: akira_98 for helping to emulate the original game's grenade physics, and Blue Shadow for help with the HiVolt auto-reload.

All graphics used in this mod are manipulations of graphics found in the original Strife WAD. No new sounds.

UPDATE (4/11/11):
Beta Version 1.4 is now out!
Weapons of Rebellion Beta Version 1.4
Note: The pk3 and txts are inside the zip.

New Weapons/Changes to Weapons:
Spoiler:
Known Issues/Bugs/Glitches:
Spoiler:
Stuff I need to do:
Spoiler:
Long-term stuff:
Spoiler:
Stuff I'd like to do:
Spoiler:
Last edited by amv2k9 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 47 times in total.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: Weapons of Rebellion (Beta v0.7 released: 2/11/1

Post by amv2k9 »

So, give it a whirl and tell me what you think.

I'm sure damage on some of the weapons needs to be kicked down a couple notches, and all those glitches need to be addressed of course. Hence why I'm calling it a Beta 0.7; not quite good enough to be a Beta v1.
Akira_98

Post by Akira_98 »

I'm not sure it's spawning two Spiderbots, it's just that they don't go to their see state, even when there are enemies around. I think the issue is that you've set the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th arguments to integers, when they should be fixed point (0.0, 0.0, and 360.0). Without the point, it turns into a number that is far less than 1. The only other problem is the offsets. The Spiderbot mabye 3 or 4 pixels lower in the ground than Stalkers, so a simple fix there.

When you fire a phosphorus grenade with the Assault Flamethower, it shows the firing state after firing the grenade, not during.

You forgot the changes to the grenade launcher altfire, btw. :P Speaking of which, I looked into it, and it seems to me that the only way to get it just like Strife's would be using GetActorPitch. I just have no idea how (if it's even possible, which I'm sure it is) to use it in Decorate. I'll keep experimenting though.

I have a small suggestion for the Thrasher. Instead of firing a single torpedo, perhaps two smaller torpedoes? This will change the behavior a tad so it doesn't feel too much like a Mauler re-skin, and it fits well with the two barrel design of the gun.

Anyways, I like where this mod is going. Can't wait to see the next update. Keep up the good work. :D
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

First off, thanks for the reply, Akira_98.
Akira_98 wrote:I'm not sure it's spawning two Spiderbots, it's just that they don't go to their see state, even when there are enemies around. I think the issue is that you've set the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th arguments to integers, when they should be fixed point (0.0, 0.0, and 360.0). Without the point, it turns into a number that is far less than 1.
I was wondering why sometimes they wouldn't attack enemies even when they were right in front of their faces.
The only other problem is the offsets. The Spiderbot mabye 3 or 4 pixels lower in the ground than Stalkers, so a simple fix there.
That's probably because upon importing the graphics into SLADE 3.0, I thought you had to center the graphic, both in x and y coordinates in the "crosshairs". Then I played the wad, and discovered that the new pickups looked frickin' tiny :) I suppose it was less noticable with the Spiderbots.
When you fire a phosphorus grenade with the Assault Flamethower, it shows the firing state after firing the grenade, not during.
Got it.
You forgot the changes to the grenade launcher altfire, btw. :P Speaking of which, I looked into it, and it seems to me that the only way to get it just like Strife's would be using GetActorPitch. I just have no idea how (if it's even possible, which I'm sure it is) to use it in Decorate. I'll keep experimenting though.
ACS, huh? I haven't touched that yet. Something else to learn.
I have a small suggestion for the Thrasher. Instead of firing a single torpedo, perhaps two smaller torpedoes? This will change the behavior a tad so it doesn't feel too much like a Mauler re-skin, and it fits well with the two barrel design of the gun.
I was actually thinking of doing that myself. What I had planned was two separate projectiles (each doing 1/2 the damage of a standard Torp), that wave in & out horizontally. There was a double barelled plasma rifle replacement I saw somewhere that did this; I thought the effect was pretty neat.
Anyways, I like where this mod is going. Can't wait to see the next update. Keep up the good work. :D
I will!

So, I was thinking last night about the "weapons not using Strife's accuracy" problem, and I *think *I may have found a solution: Have the beginning of the Fire state consist of a bunch of JumpIfInventory functions, each checking for the presence and count of the UpgradeAccuracy item, all ordered in reverse.

In other words:

Code: Select all

Fire:
        GUNX A 1 //Action functions on the first line aren't executed, right?//
        GUNX A 1 A_JumpIfInventory("UpgradeAccuracy", 10, "FireTen")
        "                                          ", 9, "FireNine")
        GUNX A 1 A_JumpIfInventory("UpgradeAccuracy", 1, "FireOne")
        GUNX B 1 A_FireBullets(worst accuracy goes here)
    FireTen:
        GUNX B 1 A_FireBullets(best accuracy goes here)
    FireNine:
        GUNX B 1 A_FireBullets(slightly less accurate then FireTen)
Probably not the most elegant solution, but it does have an upshot: I can use it to give "upgrades" to weapons, without too much of an increase in code. For example, once you get at least five AccuracyUpgrades, I can make the FireFive states execute their frames in less tics, resulting in a faster fire rate. Or once you get ten upgrades, altfires get stronger as a result of calling an improved actor.

All I need to do is find out the max number of UpgradeAccuracy items (it's ten, right? the wiki doesn't say), then find out the minimum & maximum accuracy stats (which the wiki also doesn't say), then subtract one from the other, and divide the difference by 9 to discover how much each of the FireOne-Fire9 states should be increasing accuracy by.

There's one problem I forsee: I don't know if the custom maps like AWiS: Raiding the Dam use the "UpgradeAccuracy" items (haven't played far enough in them). If they don't, then that means players of custom maps aren't able to access the additional upgrades if I implement those.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Action functions not executing on the first line only applies for monsters/players in the Spawn state, nothing else.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Ryan Cordell wrote:Action functions not executing on the first line only applies for monsters/players in the Spawn state, nothing else.
Oh, ok. Thanks.
Akira_98

Post by Akira_98 »

Actually, the Doom Wiki knows. The upgrades do increase your accuracy by 10, and you do max out at 100. I think there might be an issue using A_JumpIfInventory here though, since wiki article on DummyStrifeItem says they can't be held. I'm not sure if you can access accuracy as a user variable, but you could always make a variable to be used as accuracy in some of these cases.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: Weapons of Rebellion UPDATE: Beta v0.8 released!

Post by amv2k9 »

Akira_98 wrote:I think there might be an issue using A_JumpIfInventory here though, since wiki article on DummyStrifeItem says they can't be held.
Well, crap. Would it be possible to inherit from another inventory type, and make an item that can be held, and will still be used correctly by Strife?

How would I go about tracking when DummyStrifeItems are given to you? If I can, I'd like to just make it so that a questgiver gives you a hold-able item in your inventory, then weapons like the Arbiter & Harbinger check for it.

Anyway...
I've added a poll to the thread... I'm interested to see if people really want the accuracy system left in. The problem is, the way in which Strife determines current accuracy has a lot to do with native functions; functions I can't really use when I'm not inheriting from the weapon. This isn't really a problem with weapons like the Thrasher and Draken, but it is more noticeable with the Arbiter and Harbinger, and in taking away the accuracy upgrade system, I'm taking away some of Strife's innate RPG-ness; what really sets it apart from the other games running on the doom engine.

UPDATE:
Weapons of Rebellion Beta Version 0.8 is now out! Check the first post for the download.

Fixes:
Spoiler:
Issues:
-You don't start with any Spiderbot Capsules, and you can't pick up any in the levels. I need to set these up.
Akira_98

Post by Akira_98 »

Here I am, again. :P
Spoiler: What I found
amv2k9 wrote:For the Thrasher, a second Primary Fire attack. How it would work is, if you just tap Primary Fire, you get one shotgun-style blast from the left barrel, but if you press & hold, you get one blast each from the left & right barrels in quick succession. Any help with that would be appreciated.
You could do this with A_Refire and some jump hackery, I believe. I can't really come up with a solution right off the top of my head though. Odd way to do it, that's for sure. :?
amv2k9 wrote:Well, crap. Would it be possible to inherit from another inventory type, and make an item that can be held, and will still be used correctly by Strife?
Well, maybe it would be possible through those upgrade "voucher" things that are given to you. I think GunTraining and HealthTraining are the classes. You could use them to give yourself a new inventory item used in non-Strife-native accuracy checks. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if changing these classes will break the normal upgrade system or not, as it may not accept the new vouchers for upgrades.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Akira_98 wrote:The Drone Turret's mass is still too low, and can be pushed around.
Got it. I think its only set to a thousand as it is. I was testing it through summoning Inquisitors, but the turrets die so quick they don't really have time to get knocked around :P
- The Drone Turret setting animation is too slow. It still shows fire coming off the gun well after it's been placed.
- During the reloading of the HiVolt, a few frames are offset to the right an extra pixel or two. Or, the new frames could be too far left, I'm not sure.
- The Spiderbot still doesn't attack enemies after it spawns. I think it's because you have the flags in A_LookEx set to 1 rather than 0 (so it's interpreting it as "LOF_NOSIGHTCHECK".
Got it.
- When you attempt to throw a Spiderbot with no capsules, it lowers the weapon. Normal behavior, but odd to see.
Yeah, I need to set an action function to jump to Ready if ammo isnt present. Originally I was gonna do a long series of Offsets with Strifeguy's left hand to show him throwing the capsule, but there isn't enough sprite there to show that.
- The first weapon in the '2' slot should probably be the HiVolt, since the Electric Crossbow was the first in that slot originally.
Huh. The HiVolt is listed before the Recluse in the DECORATE. It's also listed first in another lump, the one where you specify what weapons go on what slots. How would you get one weapon to show up first when they're on the same slot?

EDIT:The Recluse only shows up "first' when using the number keys to switch. When using WeaponNext & WeaponPrevious, the HiVolt always shows up first, following the Punch Dagger. Wierd. I use a WASD + Mouse setup, so I never use the numkeys to switch; hence why I never noticed this before.
You could do this with A_Refire and some jump hackery, I believe. I can't really come up with a solution right off the top of my head though. Odd way to do it, that's for sure. :?
I've been studying SMWG/T for ideas, since I also want to do something similar with the HiVolt.
Well, maybe it would be possible through those upgrade "voucher" things that are given to you. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if changing these classes will break the normal upgrade system or not, as it may not accept the new vouchers for upgrades.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Soo... I'm starting work on WoR Beta v0.9.

Additions/Fixes:
-Applied energy trails and A_Weave animation to the torpedoes fired by the Thrasher.

Problems:
-I added a new titlescreen, credits screen, and title image for the menu, but they don't show up. I converted them to Doom Graphic format & selected "Strife Palette" after importing, and I made a MAPINFO.txt with a gameinfo section specifying creditpage & titlepage properties. When you bring up the console, it shows a glitched graphic (half turquoise, half white), so I know something is wrong. Prior to importing, the PNGs were saved in 8-bit format, so I know its not that.
-When playing WoR in GZDoom, you dont start off with the dagger replacement. WHAT THE HECK I THOUGHT I FIXED THIS.

EDIT: A quick question: Would you guys rather want particle or sprite-based trails for stuff like rockets?
Last edited by amv2k9 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v0.9 released! 2/28/11

Post by amv2k9 »

Soo, Beta 0.9 is out. Mostly fixes and refinements here.

-Thanks to translation & the TEXTURES lump, virtually all the graphics are removed, and as a result, total filesize has been cut to 34KB. To put that in perspective, the initial release was about seventy times that big. The only graphics I can't replace with a little TEXTURES magic are the HUD sprites for the HiVolt.

-Recoil added on the Thrasher, Draken, and Harbinger altfire.

-Dumb bug fixed: Giving the FlamethrowerParts to Irale caused him to give you a Flamethrower, not the Draken. This was due to the Draken's ConversationID not being set. It's been fixed.

-Entering the Recluse's scope sets the crosshair to "Dot".

-So, a question: do you think the Spiderbots should be improved/debuffed? What I would like to do is have dialogs that you can engage in with them, to "program" them; through dialog options you could set them to follow you, to act independently, or dash at the next enemy and self destruct. Realistically though I may just set them up so that pressing Altfire does a radius damage attack with a damage type only the Spiderbots are susceptible to, thus making a hacky "remote detonate" feature. Of course that means you can only have one active at a time.

-Fix: The graphics for the Drone Turret's projectile attack were invisible before, which was wierd because they were using graphics present in the Strife wad. Changed the graphics, now they show up just fine.

-As a sidenote, despite the fact that Drone Turrets are stationary, they're pretty damn useful; three or four of them can take down an Inquisitor no problem; it just tries to dash at them, and just flies right over them. And Crusaders are a joke; the Crusader's flame attack shoots right over the Drone Turret, and it's free to tear the Crusader apart. I'll debuff these at some point.
Akira_98

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v0.9 released! 2/28/11

Post by Akira_98 »

As per tradition, I've downloaded it and plan to do a little testing. (Self-edit out)
Spoiler: Bugs/oddities
amv2k9 wrote:A quick question: Would you guys rather want particle or sprite-based trails for stuff like rockets?
Eh, it's not something that matters a whole lot to me. I think a mix might work though. You would expect to see smoke coming off a rocket, and that's hard to do with particles. The Thrasher, for example, could use particles to their full effect. It wouldn't seem weird for little green objects to fly off a Mauler Torpedo. Particles could be used as embers with the Kraken. I'm fairly sure they could work with the Sigil somehow, though I can't think of anything right now.
So, a question: do you think the Spiderbots should be improved/debuffed?
If they are gonna be rare, then a little damage boost might be in order. If you make them fairly common, around the rarity of Mini-Missiles, then it's probably fine to leave them as they are (minus the not waking up, of course).
amv2k9

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.0 released! 3/5/11

Post by amv2k9 »

EDIT: 3/5/11

Beta 1.0 is out! Check the first post for the download.

Fixes/Additions:
Spoiler:
Problems:
-The omnipresent "Spiderbots & DroneTurrets are deaf & blind" problem.
-Particle trail spawns above the Minimissile's tail.

Misc:
Spoiler:
Akira_98 wrote: Particles could be used as embers with the Kraken.
I tried this... It doesn't work very well. Because of the speedy refire rate of the weapon, you get a constant stream of grey pixels blocking your vision.

A few questions:
1) What does everyone think of the homing bolts used by the HiVolt's altfire? I'm considering getting rid of those, since they target neutral NPCs as well as Acolytes. Since neutral NPCs (peasants beggars, etc) inherit from the same base class as Acolytes, which is Humanoid, I don't think setting flags like +DONTHARMSPECIES is gonna solve the problem; then, it won't harm Acolytes. I'd need something more specific, like a +DONTHARM flag that lets you determine exactly which actors to not harm. In addition, I'd need something like a flag like +DONTSEEKACTOR("ActorName"). It's either all this, or making the homing bolts do a special damage type, then inheriting all the Humanoids and giving full resistance to said damage type to the neutral NPCs. If I do replace the homing bolts, it'll probably be with the Spiderbot Capsules, or with something new.

2) How much easier, do you think, WoR makes Strife? I've played through on Elite quite a bit, and the HiVolt certainly makes things a little easier, as you have a second utility weapon to go along with the Assault Gun-replacing Harbinger. I'm considering adding in some new enemies that will randomly spawn in the place of pre-existing ones. They'll be set up so that high ranking enemies can only be replaced by high-ranking new enemies (so no SuperInquisitors taking the place of Acolyte flunkies), and there will be NOTHING from the Beastiary; all enemies will be translations of sprites already in Strife.

3) Does anyone have information on making an ALTHUDCF lump? The wiki article is somewhat... sparse on this topic.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.1 released! 3/19/11

Post by amv2k9 »

Beta 1.1 is now out! Check the first post.

Fixes/Additions:
-The Spiderbots & Drone Turrets now wake up properly after being thrown! I just added the +LOOKALLAROUND flag & changed A_LookEx to A_Look, and that seems to have fixed it.

-Spiderbot AI improved; if a 'bot spends too long chasing without reaching its target, it will "reset" and try to find another target. Same goes for Drone Turrets.

-HiVolt changed: Primary fire shoots one arrow straight ahead. After three are fired, the weapon automatically reloads. Secondary fire launches three normal, non-homing arrows and two electrc bolts in a spread. Secondary fire can't be done when less than three arrows are loaded.

Problems:
-I quashed the spiderbots-and-turrests-not-waking-up bug, but another bug took its place: When there are no enemies around, throwing a capsule will spawn one Spiderbot. When there are enemies in sight, throwing a capsule will spawn TWO Spiderbots. This one has me stumped. The Spiderbot Capsule actor only has A_Spawn set once, just like the Drone Turret Capsule, and yet this doesn't happen with the Drone Turrets.

-This is more of an aesthetic thing, but the blood from the new acolyte enemies is the same color as their shields, due to the fact that it shares much of the same palette range. So Priests have blue blood, Paladins green, etc. Not much I can do about it.

I've added new enemies.
Spoiler:
Mikk-

Re: Strife: WoR UPDATE: Beta v1.1 released! 3/19/11

Post by Mikk- »

How about giving Stalkers the ability to use that gun mounted on the front. Strife already has those sprites in STRIFE1.wad

Return to “Gameplay Mods”