[WIP]Disposable Heroes: ANGRY!!! Cocky'n...rawket launchers!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CrystalWolf

Re: [WIP]Disposable Heroes: ANGRY!!!

Post by CrystalWolf »

daimon wrote:another weapon mod...
It'd be pretty great if this came with maps or something.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

CrystalWolf wrote:
daimon wrote:another weapon mod...
It'd be pretty great if this came with maps or something.
The way I see it, mods like these provide an excellent reason to go back and play through an old favorite megawad.
CrystalWolf

Post by CrystalWolf »

To each his own and whatnot, but I would like to make it a point known that I do not enjoy playing mods like this most of the time because it stands against the balance that a mapper may have spent months perfecting for his map. If you dump the monsters in Doom into "class ranges" such as "Hard" or "Medium", then you might end up with ledges full of melee monsters unable to attack you. Sure, there are mods out there that are reasonably well done in this regard, but I just don't see the benefit if you don't make maps specifically for your randomizer or weapon mod.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Different balance isn't always wrong balance, the way I see it. Is it different from the way the mapper intended it? Of course. Is it going to make gameplay different? Naturally. Is it going to screw up the balance all to hell? Only if the balance of the mod is screwed up all to hell. ;)

There is a such thing as a well-balanced gameplay mod (even shuffles -- just ask Scalliano). A lot of times, it depends on the combination of wads. Some things just don't mix and match -- Psychic does not work well with single-map wads, for one. I can live with that.

Final note: I do think it's always best to play maps the way the author intended, at least once through. For the good ones, it would be a shame not to.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Relax. At most, the monsters have their projectiles changed/special deaths/a few have A_FastChase (zombies only). It'll still play pretty much just the same if I can help it. I'm keeping in mind that Disposable Heroes: MAD only really modified the weapons. I just figured I'd give the monsters an excuse to fire the same stuff plus dropping certain ammo types. ;)

In all seriousness, I think it's safe to say that this will be far from a shuffle mod... well, okay, maybe not because ammo spawning will be randomized a little bit but that's the extent of it. That, and the invisibility sphere is being replaced with a regeneration powerup instead, mainly because I absolutely hate partial invisibility and I've always found it more of a burden than help.

Oh, and crystalwolf: Mapping is one of my weaknesses. The most I've made is something like a clown version of DIS, and yes I've expanded on it thoroughly since then but still... I suck at mapping. Plus, if I did make maps for it I'd have to consider regular doom instead. I learned my lesson the hard way trying to make maps for AEoD, not trying that again anytime soon...
CrystalWolf

Post by CrystalWolf »

Major Cooke wrote:Mapping is one of my weaknesses
This is everyone's excuse. If you're bad now, that doesn't mean you'll be as bad two projects later if you actually try your hardest to make something. Nobody is good at mapping without practice.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

It is for me. Though, in my case it's less I suck at it and more that I just fail at actually finishing maps. :P
CrystalWolf

Post by CrystalWolf »

XutaWoo wrote:It is for me. Though, in my case it's less I suck at it and more that I just fail at actually finishing maps. :P
^ this is me, right here. I know how it is, mang.
Xim

Post by Xim »

If you don't like weapon mods don't play them. You don't have to be mad at people for making them.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

Well yeah there's that, but on another hand if it's something of poor quality/effort, then "just don't play it" doesn't work. Somewhere there's a line, when the quality of any mod crosses the line (in a bad way), then it just can't be/shouldn't be ignored.

Not saying this mod crosses the line, just trying to clarify/point out the discrepancy.

That's the way I see it, although even then I see nothing wrong with criticism. Even if weapon mods aren't your thing, if you can back up "this sucks" with some valid points then shrugging off the criticism with "just don't play it" is kind of...meh...

Most of the time the people who tell the others not to play it if they don't like it should really be pointing out the lack of any real valid criticism, that'd be actually getting somewhere.
CrystalWolf

Post by CrystalWolf »

Xim wrote:If you don't like weapon mods don't play them. You don't have to be mad at people for making them.
Who exactly are you talking to, anyway? So far, things seem to be pretty civil in this thread.

Besides; "if you don't like it don't play it" is exactly why all there is in this community is weapon mods and shuffles. People don't think they have to do any better.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

CrystalWolf wrote:Besides; "if you don't like it don't play it" is exactly why all there is in this community is weapon mods and shuffles. People don't think they have to do any better.
Uh...where are you looking? I see all kinds of maps and megawads getting released on a near-weekly basis.
CrystalWolf

Post by CrystalWolf »

Maybe I was being a bit too dramatic. I meant, there are ALOT of shuffle and weapon mods, and there are very few quality maps between them.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

CrystalWolf wrote:People don't think they have to do any better.
That only applies to some people, most of the time 'newbies'. Some are more than willing to crank out a far higher quality mod..
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I don't see why a weapon mod should contain maps. If there's a megawad I want to play again, it won't be as fun second time round so I use a weapon modifier to freshen things up. If you add maps it's no longer a weapon mod, but a 'mini-TC', and it may not be as compatible to run alongside other maps. e.g. if you run NeoDoom with Alien Vendetta there could be problems.

Suggesting that people who like to make weapon mods are lazy and less talented because they don't make maps too is quite insulting IMO.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”