[RELEASED] RSL mods galore: new release "Shinobi"

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rsl

[RELEASED] RSL mods galore: new release "Shinobi"

Post by rsl »

Hi all,

here we are again! This time for a new modification I recently released to /IDGames:

S H I N O B I (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16423)

This new mod is inspired by various sources - namely, my recent replay of Shadow Warrior, but also oriental-style mods like those by DuduKrazy...
Not to mention the one and only, original "Shinobi" arcade by SEGA!
You get to play as a "modern ninja" - that is, you'll find a couple weapons that are peculiar of this style, but also more classic firearms/sci-fi weapons that are common in a DOOM scenario. The (IMHO great) graphics are from the obscure Shadow Warrior addon "The Last Warrior", about which I got acknowledged only thanks to the excellent resource extraction work made by Zero X Diamond (see his thread here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=120).

Brief detailing of the weapons roster:

Tiger Fangs (slot 1): your basic melee weapon. Can be used for quick jab-paw combos, but with berserk, it turns into a powerful flurry attack with final blast.
Katana (slot 1): we couldn't miss this one! Stronger melee weapon, can be used to perform a quick double-slash combo - with the final blade movement, you can decapitate lesser foes (former humans and imps). Replaces chainsaw.
Stalker Darts (slot 2): your base/starting projectile weapon. Not that powerful, but has three advantages: it's silent, it rips through and the darts can be recollected once they hit a wall. Watch out for the rebound animation! :)
'Oppressor' automatic shotgun (slot 3): a double-barreled, belt-fed automatic shotgun with a large spread. Replaces the shotguns.
'Violator' assault rifle (slot 4): fully-automatic, moderately powerful firearm with an attached grenade launcher. Replaces the chaingun.
'Hunter' heat seeker (slot 5): dual-mode rocket launcher. Fire and hold to force the missile to travel in a straight line, or release the trigger to have it heat-seeking.
Grip Bombs (slot 5): spike-covered bombs you can throw on any surface. Once deployed, they are ready to explode upon first contact with anything that moves (including yourself). Their explosion is effective also against bosses. Harder to collect.
'Ignitor' propane flamethrower (slot 6): powerful close-quarters, rapid-fire weapon - can set to fire all former humans, leaving no resurrectable corpse, and is generally powerful against any opponent. A bit hard to manoeuver, easy to damage yourself. Replaces the plasma rifle.
'Polarizer' experimental lightning cannon (slot 7): slow to charge, fires a powerful stream of electricity that seeks for targets around. Great against packs of enemies. Replaces BFG 9000.
Seppuku Symbol (slot 8): magical, extremely powerful hitscan weapon - sucks your energy when used, but can destroy a Baron Of Hell in one shot. Kill a Spider Mastermind to get one.

This is only a rough outline of the arsenal - a couple more extras are described in the textfile.
The obligatory screenshots roundup (which don't do much justice anyway... Once I find out about a proper way to do it, I'm gonna upload also a video):
Spoiler:
Try it, and let me know what you think about it! :D

----------

Older news:
Spoiler:
The rest of my front post still applies:

On a side note, I have also upgraded/bugfixed all of my previous mods also basing on the DOOMWorld /newstuff reviews I received. You can find them here:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... asc&page=1

In addition to the above, such list includes these previous titles:

The Rebel
The Prototype: A Tribute Mod
Revenge: a classic DOOM experience
DOOM NG (New Generation DOOM)
RSL's Immoral Conduct Z-Patch
Parallel Forces
She-Redux (AKA The Desperate DOOMwive)
RSL's Agent Diaz Patch

If you care, drop me a line... :D
Thanks!

P.S. This is my first post on the ZDOOM forums.
Please forgive me If I made some formal mistake...

History:

[EDIT] Fixed last hyperlink. :oops:

[EDIT] Added screenshots.

[EDIT] A bit of an invitation:

Should any level designer looking for new weapons find these interesting enough, feel free to reuse them in your project! Not necessarily one whole modification, even only part of it - just credit the original author(s) appropriately.

( If that's the case, feel free to cite your RSL-related work by posting in this thread :-) )

[EDIT] Added announcement for "Shinobi".
Last edited by rsl on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [RELEASED] RSL mods galore: Parallel Forces, She-Redux

Post by wildweasel »

rsl wrote:(Only as another example of pretestuous backstory for a DOOM mod!)
Heh. I wonder if that's referring to what I think it's referring to...
Pisstepank

Post by Pisstepank »

Wow, i already played Doom Prototype before, but these new ones ares really great !
Nice job, especially for Parralel force,
And the last link is broken
rsl

Post by rsl »

wildweasel wrote:
rsl wrote:(Only as another example of pretestuous backstory for a DOOM mod!)
Heh. I wonder if that's referring to what I think it's referring to...
:oops: Sorry WildWeasel, I realized just now about my unwilling possible reference to Diaz... Absolutely not intended for sure.
That sentence was nothing more than a filler...

@Pisstepank: thank you!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Screenshots please
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

She-Redux could really do with a new HUD. It's a mess.
rsl

Post by rsl »

@Tormentor667: well, since the mods are already complete I figured out I could just provide a download link for them to be experienced directly... Plus, I don't think screenshots would be representative enough. As soon as I can get that together, I may add a video anyway...

@Slax: for She-Redux, I really wanted graphical weapon dips/slots, so I started designing the HUD from them. Unfortunately, they ended up taking a lot of the default status bar space (something to which I wanted to limit myself anyway), so I had to cope with the little room that was left... Anyway, thanks for the tip - I might even provide as addon a new high-resolution HUD in the future... :idea:
Last edited by rsl on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

Actually it helps to post screenshots nonetheless just to give some indication to people what your mods might be about. Users with dial-up connections specifically will benefit from this, rather than spending possibly hours downloading something that they might not even particularly enjoy.
rsl

Post by rsl »

BoldEnglishman wrote:Actually it helps to post screenshots nonetheless just to give some indication to people what your mods might be about. Users with dial-up connections specifically will benefit from this, rather than spending possibly hours downloading something that they might not even particularly enjoy.
Alright. Updated first post with a couple of commented screenshots... Although they might not tell much... :)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Just ran through E1 of Doom and noticed something peculiar with the R.A.P.E on the secret level.
I sent a few rocket into the first big open room and deployed the missiles. Every enemy had died but one (maybe two). An imp in the middle of the closed-off sector. Now, this isn't unusual but seeing a lone missile endlessly circle the closed-off sector raised my brow. A simple fix would be to limit the travel time of the missiles.

The smoke trail was pretty though. ;)
TheAdmantArchvile

Post by TheAdmantArchvile »

I got 2 errors when starting these mods.

rslforce
Script error, "rslforce.pk3:rslfcls2.wad:DECORATE" line 77:
Expected ')', got ','.

rslredux
Script error, "rslredux.wad:SLOT_1" line 71:
Expected ')', got ','.

Help?
rsl

Post by rsl »

@Slax: Heh :D Glad you noticed this behaviour. Actually, I did find out accidentally about this during development of the mod. At first, I thought about correcting the seeking angles, but then I ended up quite liking it :lol: Still, I am undecided on how to treat it. I guess you're one of those who would like to have it removed...

@TheAdmantArchvile: tried to redownload both mods to retest them (in case I missed something) but they appear to work fine for me on GZDOOM 1.5.0. :? What version of GZDOOM are you using?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Nah, it's a fun easter egg if anything.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

These all aren't that bad, I really hate all of the recoil on the weapons but, Some people like it
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Heheh, I forgot I didn't comment on these yet but I gotta admit I think all of em are awesome... :p or at least original/unique in their own way as the most parts don't have one of those 350 other remakes every other mod uses... *Coughs*

SO yeah, props for you!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”