[Unfinished] Strife Needs A God Damn Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

[Unfinished] Strife Needs A God Damn Mod

Post by wildweasel »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p9rdsb63cugd ... d.pk3?dl=0

The first test of my new Strife project. I'm making this under similar circumstances to StyleMod - no additional sprites or sounds, with the mod being constructed purely from code. The goal of the project...well, there's not really a goal yet.

The version of the mod I've uploaded contains exactly one new weapon, a modified Assault Gun that must reload every 25 shots and will fire in single shots instead of three-round bursts. For now, I'm using the default attack pointer, so accuracy is respected, but I would eventually like to make the gun recoil according to what UpgradeAccuracy's value is (which would require a new feature or a LOT of brute-force coding).

Why am I making this? Simple - Strife needs a god damn mod. (Side note: I might call this SNAG'D Mod, as a clever acronym.)

No screenshots as a screenshot really doesn't illustrate what this mod does.

Update 1/24/2014: This mod has essentially hit a standstill. Please do not expect any future updates to it unless the moon turns to blood and oceans begin to boil.
Xim

Re: [Small Project] Strife Needs A God Damn Mod

Post by Xim »

wildweasel wrote: No screenshots as a screenshot really doesn't illustrate what this mod does.
Maybe a video? :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

A video of a reloading assault rifle? No thanks, I'll wait until the mod's got a bit more to show off.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

I know there's the Martyr,But is that seriously it for Strife Mods?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

There's maybe two or three maps, and many unfinished, unreleased weapon/gameplay patches. It's a sadly neglected game.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Hmmmmm,Guess the only problem I can see is replacing the sigil
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

I did wanna do a huge Strife mod a short while back, but I'm just not multi-talented enough to pull off something of that caliber.

At least now there's one more mod out there for Strife, Hexen and Heretic have been getting too much attention lately, Doom even moreso :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For the longest time, even in the Doom community, when you mentioned Strife most people didn't know what you were talking about. I think SVStrife and of course Zdoom (was Vavoom before Zdoom - I think it may have been in this case) adding Strife support was what really rekindled (or perhaps just kindled) interest in the game so it's not surprising it has been poorly supported by add ons.

Mind you, even Heretic and Hexen are relatively poorly supported, much less a game that many Doomers hadn't even heard of until relatively recently.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

What I want to do with this mod can't be done at the moment.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... ifemod.pk3 - This version replaces the default Assault Gun firing pointer with A_FireBullets and adds recoil. Unfortunately, recoil currently can't get any usable output from the script due to the way ZDoom is currently handling UpgradeAccuracy, so I'm waiting on feedback from this thread.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I definitely approve of this, it's about time Strife received a makeover. The only thing I felt was missing from Strife was a shotgun. Sure, one of the mauler's firing modes acts like a shotgun, but you get it so late in the game and it's not as satisfying to use as an actual shotgun. There's just something raw about unloading a shell into a guy, I dunno.

You could probably port Doom's super shotgun to Strife since it fits both in terms of feel and looks. Maybe recolor the stock to red to match the grip on the assault gun and create a secondary ammo type such as Dragon's Breath rounds.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I wanted to do a Strife Enhanced with all sorts of fun things like the reloading assault rifle etc., but quite frankly I have no fucking clue how a lot of the Strife internals work, so it was like trying to tapdance while eating a watermelon whole.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Kinsie wrote:I wanted to do a Strife Enhanced with all sorts of fun things like the reloading assault rifle etc., but quite frankly I have no fucking clue how a lot of the Strife internals work, so it was like trying to tapdance while eating a watermelon whole.
Just thinking about how I'm going to handle the accuracy problem is giving me a similar feeling, except I am also on fire while tapdancing, and the watermelon is full of staples.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Snarboo wrote:and it's not as satisfying to use as an actual shotgun. There's just something raw about unloading a shell into a guy, I dunno.
It's the "boom" that makes it so satisfying. A shotgun sounds and feels powerful, as opposed to the Mauler's wimpy "pew" noise. Change the Doom Chaingun's firing sound to something more beefy, without touching the actual weapon, and you'll swear it's more more effective.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

That's true, Ethril. Doom 64's chaingun always felt more powerful to me when it wasn't, all because it shook the screen and had a better firing sound.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Strife++ is in the works :>
Unfortunately, it's on hold for Minecraft :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”