[Unfinished] Strife Needs A God Damn Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Small Project] Strife Needs A God Damn Mod

Post by rollingcrow »

Snarboo wrote:That's true, Ethril. Doom 64's chaingun always felt more powerful to me when it wasn't, all because it shook the screen and had a better firing sound.
Well didn't the chaingun also fire a bit faster in Doom 64?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:Mind you, even Heretic and Hexen are relatively poorly supported, much less a game that many Doomers hadn't even heard of until relatively recently.
That's why I've given priority to Heretic and Hexen projects on the ZDoom wiki.

Also, I (or someone else!) need to make one for Raiding the Dam. It's pretty much a ZDoom-exclusive mod after all, what with it not working in SVStrife nor in Vavoom, nor in vanilla, nor in Chocolate, and Doomsday and Eternity not having any real Strife support at the moment.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

I've always thought maybe the neatest thing to do Strife-weapons-mod-wise, without actually adding new weapons, would be to take the Elec/Poison Crossbow, Mauler, & Grenade Launcher, and designate one attack from each to be primary & one to be secondary, rather than flip through them as if they were two separate weapons. And maybe improve the Electric Bolts so they aren't so useless; maybe increase damage against wholly mechanical enemies, and/or give them a chance to stun. That way you get one attack that is great against mechanical enemies, but useless against organic & semi-organic (i.e. dudes w/ cybernetic implants like the Order) enemies, to complement the Poison Bolts which are great against organics but useless against mechs.

And/or take the Grenade Launcher and make it an alt-fire of the Assault Rifle, complete with an Alt Ammo Switch button to change between Phosphor & HiEx grenades. But perhaps that would make the weapon too cheap. :D But maybe making it so that it only shoots 1 grenade would help to compensate. I always thought two grenades was a bit overkill, given how long the flames from the Phosphor stay onscreen.

Or the HiEx Grenades could be used as an altfire for the Assault Rifle, and the Phosphor Grenades as an altfire for the Flamethrower, since you're already using flame attacks with that weapon. That way you beef up the effectiveness of two weapons.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

amv2k9 wrote:Something about making a simple yet effective Strife weapon mod
You know what, thats exactly what I always wanted to do for Strife, but never got around to doing it.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

SamVision wrote:
amv2k9 wrote:Something about making a simple yet effective Strife weapon mod
You know what, thats exactly what I always wanted to do for Strife, but never got around to doing it.
I'm willing to bet that a LOT of us are thinking the same thing.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Snarboo wrote:Sure, one of the mauler's firing modes acts like a shotgun, but you get it so late in the game and it's not as satisfying to use as an actual shotgun. There's just something raw about unloading a shell into a guy, I dunno.
Not to mention it looks, with all due respect to Rogue, kinda goofy. A combination of BFG & an energy version of the SSG probably shouldn't look like a vacuum cleaner. :D

Perhaps it could be a traditional shotty, but one that fires shells that contain the energy pellets?

EDIT: Whoops, meant Rogue.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

amv2k9 wrote:Not to mention it looks, with all due respect to Raven, kinda goofy.
Raven had nothing to do with Strife.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Poll and Help Requested

I intend to remove or alter Strife's accuracy system. I don't really like the level-up accuracy very much, so I planned on replacing it with a different reward for each level. What sort of rewards should I add, and for that matter, does Decorate A_JumpIfInventory even work with UpgradeAccuracy, or would I have to replace it?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

wildweasel wrote:Poll and Help Requested

I intend to remove or alter Strife's accuracy system. I don't really like the level-up accuracy very much, so I planned on replacing it with a different reward for each level. What sort of rewards should I add, and for that matter, does Decorate A_JumpIfInventory even work with UpgradeAccuracy, or would I have to replace it?
Weapon upgrades! There are 10 Accuracy Upgrades in the game, right? Well, there are also 10 weapons (including the separate firing modes, excluding the Sigil), so you could have each "accuracy upgrade" unlock the altfire (or some other bonus) of a different weapon. Kind of like Heretic's Tome of Power, with increased ammo usage and such, except permanent, each weapon needs its own, and you can still use the normal mode.
I forget the exact order you obtain each weapon, but something like
Punch-dagger (Some sort of combo technique, or an electrified/poisoned dagger tip!) -> Electric Bolts (Chain lightning) -> Assault Gun (Sniper shot/super rapid fire/underslung grenade launcher/bayonet?) -> Poison Bolts (Toxic cloud?)-> Missile Launcher (Homing shots?) -> Flamethrower (NAPALM ROCKET) -> Grenades (Cluster explosion)-> Mauler Spread (Full auto/blast radius on shot impacts/CRATERGUN?)-> Phosphorous Grenades (Firewall!)-> Mauler BFG (Something more like a slightly nerfed Doom BFG or slightly buffed Plasma Rifle)
would probably work, as an example for the normal weapons. Of course, the weapon's accuracy would either be upgraded along with each "tech upgrade", or kept at a static, middle-of-the-road level.
Actually, that would make a damn good mod in itself...

I don't think UpgradeAccuracy (Or AccuracyUpgrade, whatever) functions properly with A_JumpIfInventory and such, though; You'll likely have to replace it entirely. :?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... ifemod.pk3

Accuracy is not checked at the moment, but this version adds in the silenced pistol and shotgun, the latter of which comes courtesy of JustinC.

Known issues:
- The Silenced Pistol pickup sprite is currently rather large.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I like the new guns.

Some ideas:

-I agree with Ethril's idea of being able to upgrade weapons.
-Maybe give the shotgun both buckshot and slug ammo?
-Shotgun can be upgraded to fire semi- or full-auto?
-Increase the projectile speed of the crossbow, perhaps? Maybe to balance it require a reload after every shot. Also, someone suggested making the volt arrows stun organic enemies. Sounds like a good idea to me.
-Drunken swarm rockets for mini-missile launcher's altfire sound good? More power, less accuracy.
-On that note, I'm wondering if the game needs a sniper weapon...
-Change the arc of the grenade launcher to something saner that won't bounce back in my face off an OVERHEAD WALL EDGE. D:<
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Oh man this update rules. JustinC did a great job on the shotgun sprites. This is just what Strife needed. :D
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I'm really loving the shotgun sprites, but the weapon itself sounds and feels very weak. I can barely kill a Sentinel in two shots with it.
BouncyTEM
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Xaser wrote:I'm really loving the shotgun sprites, but the weapon itself sounds and feels very weak. I can barely kill a Sentinel in two shots with it.
For that matter, even an Acolyte takes two shots. At point blank. :\
Really love the sprites, but, I hate the feel of the weapon. It just seems uncooperative and underwhelming to me. I've never been a huge fan of the semi-auto, mis-aim thing in weapon mods, so this wasn't in my particular tastes anyway, but I've tolerated it before when a weapon actually gets the job done. This shotgun, though, I felt I was getting more kickback and frustration in using it than I did in accomplishing anything. Seriously, it's a shotgun, and the only thing I can seem to one-shot with it is peasants? :blergh:

I think i'm going to write a simpler version of the shotgun with those sprites to have something truer to Strife's feel weapon-wise, just for my tastes.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Agreed, The shotgun is beautiful but is does feel weak

Also is Justinc Re-making or adding more self made weapons to this mod? I would really love to see him make more contributions to this.

Maybe A new silencer pistol :D ?

Sorry weasel, It kinda feels out of place technology wise

Return to “Gameplay Mods”