[Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TwelveEyes

Re: [Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay mod]

Post by TwelveEyes »

JimmyJ wrote:Are you going to be implementing the fusion pistol's alternate fire?
I would if I knew how and wasn't feeling incredibly lazy.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

What was its alternate fire? (Never played Marathon, still enjoy the mod though)
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Damage wrote:What was its alternate fire?
The gun would charge up for as long as you held the altfire trigger. If it was charged enough when you released the trigger it would release a larger, more damaging shot at the expense of using more ammo. If you held the charge too long the gun would explode, insta-killing you and any enemies in a radius around you.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

Doesn't seem impossible, I've seen other weapons in Doom charge to release more powerful projectiles, and the insta-kill could be achieved simply by using Damage_Thing after charging for a certain amount of time.

I never checked to see how it was done but I'd have to guess it was something along the lines of giving an inventory item for every second you held the altfire trigger, and depending on the range of items that you had (10-20, 20-30, 30-40, etc.) the gun shot out a more powerful attack.
And if you accumulate too many inventory items, then you would automatically be forced to jump to a state where Damage_Thing is used, dealing a ridiculous amount of damage to teh player and therefore killing the player. (And if you want it to kill enemies around you I'd say use A_Explode with a ridiculous amount of damage, and hurtshooter on)
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

I noticed that the humans explode into yellow puddles, is this a error?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Jinal wrote:I noticed that the humans explode into yellow puddles, is this a error?
Those are Simulacrums. In the Marathon games, these "fake Bobs" would yell things the normal humans would not, while running towards the player. They also exploded when contacting the player. Just listen for the telltale "Frog blast the vent core!"
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

wildweasel wrote:
Jinal wrote:I noticed that the humans explode into yellow puddles, is this a error?
Those are Simulacrums. In the Marathon games, these "fake Bobs" would yell things the normal humans would not, while running towards the player. They also exploded when contacting the player. Just listen for the telltale "Frog blast the vent core!"
That explains alot. thanks for the clarification.
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Another update. See first post.
Per-Scan

Post by Per-Scan »

What are the updates since the previous release? :)
TwelveEyes

Post by TwelveEyes »

Once again, another update. This will be the last update unless there are any outstanding bugs I missed. See first post for download link.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Oh, dear. From 8 megs to 92 megs? I think the general public would appreciate it if you'd make the new music optional >_<

Still, downloaded and played. I'm loving this mod for whatever reason. :P

One thing I've noticed (unless it's been fixed since) is that the M75's muzzle flash appears static, which is a bit of an eyesore -- it should animate, even if it's just alternating between that frame and the idle frame (which is probably just what the game did -- oddly enough I can't visualize it right now). That and the grenade explosions have gravity (add an A_NoGravity action in there somewhere), but that's minor. :P

Another thing: the original games allowed you to fire the M75's primary and secondary fires simultaneously, which I always admired about the weapon. I kinda miss it here -- It's doable in the same way as the dual pistols (or like the Parkour chaingun -- actually, the M75 was my primary inspiration for its behavior in the first place).
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Xaser wrote:Oh, dear. From 8 megs to 92 megs? I think the general public would appreciate it if you'd make the new music optional >_<

Still, downloaded and played. I'm loving this mod for whatever reason. :P

One thing I've noticed (unless it's been fixed since) is that the M75's muzzle flash appears static, which is a bit of an eyesore -- it should animate, even if it's just alternating between that frame and the idle frame (which is probably just what the game did -- oddly enough I can't visualize it right now). That and the grenade explosions have gravity (add an A_NoGravity action in there somewhere), but that's minor. :P

Another thing: the original games allowed you to fire the M75's primary and secondary fires simultaneously, which I always admired about the weapon. I kinda miss it here -- It's doable in the same way as the dual pistols (or like the Parkour chaingun -- actually, the M75 was my primary inspiration for its behavior in the first place).
Also, the unknown alien weapon has a third firemode if you have primary and secondary held down at the same time, which is also not implemented.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I've always wondered about a marathon tc. Wouldn't that be kinda cool? Really sweet mod though. :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, we've got two pieces now, seeing how the terminals have been done. Of course, I'd prefer to see something in the style of Marathon rather than a TC (which begs the inevitable "Why not just play Marathon?" question).
JimmyJ wrote:Also, the unknown alien weapon has a third firemode if you have primary and secondary held down at the same time, which is also not implemented.
Wait, really? I've never tried this before. How's it work?
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Xaser wrote:Well, we've got two pieces now, seeing how the terminals have been done. Of course, I'd prefer to see something in the style of Marathon rather than a TC (which begs the inevitable "Why not just play Marathon?" question).
JimmyJ wrote:Also, the unknown alien weapon has a third firemode if you have primary and secondary held down at the same time, which is also not implemented.
Wait, really? I've never tried this before. How's it work?
If you're holding both fire keys at once it does a triple shot, shooting ahead and to both sides.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”