[WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 3 Out]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 2 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

Posted Beta 2, working on Assignment system.
samtam90

Post by samtam90 »

Cool. Looking forward to Beta 3 - I'm really curious to see the quest system implemented.

As for quests themselves, just a suggestion: please make them rpg-like (multiple ways to solve them, choices and consequences, dialogue resolutions) rather than MMO-like "bring me x items" or "kill x evil monsterzz!!!!".
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

samtam90 wrote:Cool. Looking forward to Beta 3 - I'm really curious to see the quest system implemented.

As for quests themselves, just a suggestion: please make them rpg-like (multiple ways to solve them, choices and consequences, dialogue resolutions) rather than MMO-like "bring me x items" or "kill x evil monsterzz!!!!".
I like an occasional fetch quest, though. As long as it's just that, OCCASIONAL. Unless it's one of those massive trading sequences (Link's Awakening, for example), or if it makes you farm high numbers of rare drops from rare and/or difficult monsters (Imagine if, in Earthbound, you had to collect 10 Gutsy Bats before you could face Giygas. That'd just be wrong).
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

I found another bug. :P

Sequence of events:

1. Play level (Plutonia MAP01 in particular)
2. "Level up" (pistol skill +3)
3. exit level
4. cannot continue because I have an extra point left over and there are no other skills unlocked. :shock:
Demolisher

Post by Demolisher »

Not a bug, you can scroll through 7 different catagories of skills by pressing left/right/strafe right/strafe left.

I will probably make a tutorial "episode" where it explains the features. Beta 2.5 maybe?

Also, the optional side quests will be fetch or kill x enemies quests, or "I need more ammo" or "I would really like a silencer for my weapons".

The Main/Secondary quests will be raids with other marines on hellish strongholds holding a boss, or rescuing a trapped marine, or defending a marine outpost with marine support. I edited ScriptedMarine so that the marines can change weapons on the fly (somewhat), and so that they will pistol if they are in close range of an enemy, if their equipped weapon is a rocket launcher.
Last edited by Demolisher on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Bah, I forgot about that... *facepalm* I've even used that before... *hits head on desk*

For obvious reasons, that might be a good idea.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Could this, in any way, be made compatible with other mods? Such as weapon mods/enemy mods and such?
Demolisher

Post by Demolisher »

Davidos wrote:Could this, in any way, be made compatible with other mods? Such as weapon mods/enemy mods and such?
Not really. Enemy Additions simply won't give XP, weapon additions should work, but unless they are tailored to this mod, they won't make full use of it's features. Also, maps are compatible, so you can play this with any vanilla map pack, and any map pack that doesn't rely too heavily on scripting.
Demolisher

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 3 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

Bumpdate! See fp for details.

Download Beta 3 from DRDTeam
TTK_86

Post by TTK_86 »

Great work with the new beta! I was just wondering, what happens to the pistol after i pickup some other pistol first time. I press 2 and i get no pistol at all. Could it be a bug or just me being stupid? =)
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

it won't work for some actor problem
Script error, "Doom_RPG.pk3:decorate/weapons/projectiles.txt" line 197:
You cannot pass parameters to '('
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

You might need the latest SVN.
Demolisher

Post by Demolisher »

This is not dead! Expect Beta 3 up next week. Also, should this go a more action oriented route, or a more RPG skill focused one? I am considering making medic skills to revive your allies, and the ability to have your marines revive you. Also I'm working on making marines more useful.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

This is great so far! I really enjoy Doom mods that add some RPG elements. Do friendly marines, merchants, etc only show up in your demo campaign and not in the regular ones? I have the pistol issue as well, I get to use my starter one initially, then it disappears and I can't pick up any other pistols. You might want to limit pickups too. I had about 80 medkits by the end of Episode 1. :P
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I really like this, but its pretty buggy; health to 1 percent makes you invisible, the weapon pickups are not working right , no "merchants", lack of balancing, ect. as a showcase its interesting; as a game, it is not very playable atm.

I look foward to the brilliant future this project will have with more work, however :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”